JUMPERS - Which fish have escaped your aquarium? Did you add a cover?

FishyBusinessAq

Fishy Business Aquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
shutterstock_5195587.jpg
Last week I walked over to my tank to feed the crew and somehow spooked my Diamond Goby. It literally shot straight up, flew out of the tank, and fell at least 5 feet onto my tile floor with a splat. I got lucky and was able to scoop him up and throw him back in quickly - he survived.

This got me thinking about jumpers and how it would be helpful to share experiences on which fish people have lost or nearly lost to carpet surfing adventures? If you've had losses, have you since added a lid to your tank?

Dree

View Badges
Reaction score
I’ve lost a Blue Spotted Jawfish after about 2 years of having him, and I had a kid, he escaped through a 1/2” gap. Then removed the lid, got a potters angel, and he jumped after about 2-3 years.

I’ve had Midas blennys, Rainford gobys, assessors, leopard wrasses, and have never jumped without a lid.

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
My pygmy angel, had him for a few months then suddenly one day wasn’t around for feeding time (which never happens). Looked everywhere, and under everything, he was nowhere in the tank. I don’t have any predators and he was the largest fish in my tank. So I’ve come to the conclusion that he MUST have jumped (it was a completely open top) and my dog found him first.. and ate him.. either that or aliens. About 2 months later the same thing happened to my diamond goby. My very next tank-related purchase...
4AD1D95B-60FC-42E3-B9EA-317F9108A4E4.jpeg

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
My pygmy angel, had him for a few months then suddenly one day wasn’t around for feeding time (which never happens). Looked everywhere, and under everything, he was nowhere in the tank. I don’t have any predators and he was the largest fish in my tank. So I’ve come to the conclusion that he MUST have jumped (it was a completely open top) and my dog found him first.. and ate him.. either that or aliens. About 2 months later the same thing happened to my diamond goby. My very next tank-related purchase...
4AD1D95B-60FC-42E3-B9EA-317F9108A4E4.jpeg
What product is that?

Thanks

Nick

ngoodermuth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I lost a couple in my first tank...it was a bow front and not easy to fit a top for.

Once I upgraded to a bigger, square-corners tank I fashioned a screen top for it and have been doing the same for every tank since. No more jumpers :)

I’m a wrasse fanatic, so there’s no way I’d be able to have the fish I like without a top. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen/heard one shoot up into the screen and plop back into the water...

Angrywalnut

View Badges
Reaction score
I lost a clown and a Goby. I have the same style lid as above. Artfully acrylic is who made mine. Octo lids also makes these.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
I've had the following jump:

Firefish
Clownfish
Jawfish
A cleaner shrimp

And then there was my Blue Hippo..

So I was moving to a new house. The plan was that I got a new tank, and set it all up at the new house. I hired a pro to help me move all the fish/corals/rocks/sand. So we had rubbermaid tubs all over the living room, and were transferring corals and rocks into them, sand into some, etc etc. He was catching fish as we went, and putting them into a few 5 gallon buckets for transport. But the hippo wasn't having it. Finally, we had all the rocks out, and it was just him vs the hippo. He managed to corner him into the box, guiding it with his hand slowly. It got into the box, realized it had been caught, turned around, and shot out, right across his hand (gashing it open under water), across the full length of the tank, and then into the air. It sailed about 10 feet across the room, and landed right into one of the rubbermaids with a few rocks in it.

We put a lid on the rubbermaid and declared victory.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
I’ve had a yellow head jawfish jump thru small crack. A clown Fish and my linespot flasher has jumped 3x in less than a year. I have a lid for wrasse tank also. Only yellow head didn’t make it.

Wen

View Badges
Reaction score
Female clownfish would jump out of water to bite my hands ( gave her away ),

Blue throat trigger carpet surfed when I was on vacation. ( no lid at this time ),

Large Yellow coris wrasse moved and landed onto the screen lid that comes with the IM 30 gal, used as QT ( saw it happen and now have 2 screen tops on it ),

Large Ruby head fairy wrasse is always leaping out of the water ( you can hear it happen ). The lid has saved its life so many times.

Love screen lids!

Silverfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Just lost a diamond goby. Had a clear view acrylic top. Have no idea how the fish was 3 feet fm aquarium.? I knew they jumped but after much further research discovered they are the Houdini’s of the fish world! Don’t think for a minute your lid is escape proof. They will find a way.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
shutterstock_5195587.jpg
Last week I walked over to my tank to feed the crew and somehow spooked my Diamond Goby. It literally shot straight up, flew out of the tank, and fell at least 5 feet onto my tile floor with a splat. I got lucky and was able to scoop him up and throw him back in quickly - he survived.

This got me thinking about jumpers and how it would be helpful to share experiences on which fish people have lost or nearly lost to carpet surfing adventures? If you've had losses, have you since added a lid to your tank?
Uhmmmm I had a snowflake eel that disappear from my tank and didn't see it for few days, I was thinking it was hidden under all my live rock but to my surprise while I was doing a water change and went behind my tank the eel was already dry, u can tell that it die few days before at least week and a half, I was dumb enough as to put as a cover one of those cradles for ceiling lights with those holes and the eel scape during the night thru the hole , never thought about an eel scaping during the night thru that. Well now I have another snowflake eel that I keep my glass cover seal and everything to avoid another scape and a dead fish on the rug.

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
My Diamond Goby jumped and by his amazing momentum displaced my plastic mesh screen top and landed in the filter floss in the filter chamber. If I hadn't witnessed it I would not have believed it was possible. I was able to retrieve him and save him, only to lose him one week later -- he found a 1/2 inch gap in the same plastic mesh screen and sailed away into the earth's stratosphere.

Waynerock

View Badges
Reaction score
I hate using my lid it makes my tank ugly. I definitely need to suck it up and spend the money for a nice acrylic one.I have two firefish that I swear would be gone by now instead my nice wrasse jumps. Did not get to the camera in time but it was hanging out of my cats mouth! I laughed so hard but then felt bad for it
IMG_2927.JPG

tiomm

View Badges
Reaction score
I've had a Yasha and Wheeler goby jump. One of them I could rescue. Years ago I lost a Royal Gamma to jumping as well. I got a net top from Red Sea but I haven't been using it the last month. I really don't enjoy the look of it.

Nailqueencat

View Badges
Reaction score
I've had the following jump:

Firefish
Clownfish
Jawfish
A cleaner shrimp

And then there was my Blue Hippo..

So I was moving to a new house. The plan was that I got a new tank, and set it all up at the new house. I hired a pro to help me move all the fish/corals/rocks/sand. So we had rubbermaid tubs all over the living room, and were transferring corals and rocks into them, sand into some, etc etc. He was catching fish as we went, and putting them into a few 5 gallon buckets for transport. But the hippo wasn't having it. Finally, we had all the rocks out, and it was just him vs the hippo. He managed to corner him into the box, guiding it with his hand slowly. It got into the box, realized it had been caught, turned around, and shot out, right across his hand (gashing it open under water), across the full length of the tank, and then into the air. It sailed about 10 feet across the room, and landed right into one of the rubbermaids with a few rocks in it.

We put a lid on the rubbermaid and declared victory.
That’s amazing! What a brilliant story. Man vs Fish

Nailqueencat

View Badges
Reaction score
Had a lovely paired sunspot goby and pistol shrimp. Sunspot jumped and also lost a longnose Hawk. Unfortunately I’ve got two 3ins glass brace bars running across the tank that stick up (L shape) plus two weirs sticking out in opp corners. I’ve made a netted frame for the rectangular middle section and draped the weirs with netting so it’s damage limitation. Fortunately never had a jumper in the past 5yrs and I have a few wrasses and gobies. Madness not having a cover - it’s Russian roulette and heartbreaking when you could have avoided a fish suicide.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwatef
View Badges
Reaction score
I’ve had a few. Got a net from BRS and made a cover. My last was a goby. I went to feed the fish moved the cover fed the fish. Somehow he jumped onto the netted cover and I didn’t see him as I replaced the cover ( I had only partially removed it ) and there he laid 1/2 from water until about twenty minutes later I saw him. I tried to revive him but his swim bladder was gone
Now I make sure to check everywhere before I put it back on

Any special reefing plans for this week?

• Yes

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 11 12.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Pieces of the Ocean
Build a Better Aquarium at Marine Depot