View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef2Reef POTM Contest - Photo of the Month

Sponsored by
Avast Marine!

This month's subject - Your oldest coral

Deadline to Enter: 30th June , 2023 at 11:59 pm (EST)

Looking forward to great shots of those oldest corals! Remember, the photo has to have been taken by you, and the subject has to be in your aquarium.
No watermarks or captions are allowed in the pictures and pictures with watermarks will be disqualified.
A bit of info around your shot, the coral in question, how long you have had it and under what light and flow it is... would help make the thread and discussion more interesting.

This is a photo contest after all and we're looking for the best photograph. Yes, you can use a post-editing product to better your pictures. In fact, we encourage it.
Few tips:
Chose your coral and prepare the tank for the shot by cleaning the glass and stopping the flow if needed.
Decide if a front shot or a top down one would do the coral more justice based on coral placement and shape of the coral.
Experiment with different shots and compositions of your coral to find the one that does it justice the best and show size or thickness that convey age at best.
its an oldest coral POTM so we're not expecting the brightest and nicest corals as we all have old corals we're emotionally attached to that do not shine and pop like new frags do....

As always refer to the multiple photography articles or post any questions you might have on the photography forum for better support. Maybe also post a few pictures for suggestions and critique to improve your shots while preparing for this months contest as well.

Prize: POTM Winner Banner, one year free Premium Membership and an Avast Marine Porthole courtesy of Avast Marine. Details below. (Note: Winners located outside the United States will be responsible for applicable shipping costs)

How To Enter:
Entering is easy, just a few simple guidelines to follow:

• Enter ONE photo, taken by you of the subject for the month before the deadline
  • If you enter a second photo, it will be deleted so choose wisely before posting your entry
  • Multiple entries, off subject photos, or broken image links will be disqualified
  • Entries must be submitted before the deadline
  • Photo must be taken by you and in your tank
  • Pictures with watermarks will be disqualified
  • You must have an avatar uploaded when you enter
  • Prior winner (within the last 6 months) are welcome to enter, but not eligible for the prizes
  • In order to qualify to win the Avast Marine Porthole you must also like the Avast Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/avast.marine/
Winner Selection:
The mod team will select up to 15 finalists and a poll will be created and posted in the Reef Discussion Forum. The Grand Prize Winner will be determined by Reef2Reef member voting. To be eligible to vote, you must have been a member for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts. Votes by members not meeting this criteria will be disregarded in the final count. In the case of a tie, the mod team will assist in choosing the winner. Rules, deadlines and terms are subject to change, without notice, at any time. The winner will be posted and tagged in the voting poll and will have 48 hours to claim the prize.

As this is a photography competition, and the goal is to recognize the highest quality picture. So take your time, do your post shot editing, and submit your best image.

The Prize:

Capture.JPG

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My oldest coral is my 12"*10"*8" GSP island! This started as a quarter sized frag in my old 5 gallon in July of 2020 AIO that was transferred to my 125 in September 2022 around a golf ball sized clump that I placed on a small rock. It grew from that into this melon sized mass that houses an Emerald Crab.

IMG_20230606_180130280~2.jpg

Photo taken with my Motorola Edge and a pair of orange safety glasses. Low tech!

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest coral is my indo gold torch. A top down shot. I got it from a local reefer sold to me as a NY Knicks single head. At the time I had no idea. It's honestly just gold under my lights.

Early on in my reefing journey. I almost killed this coral. While I can only submit one picture. I'll leave that to people who want to go through my build thread. It was down to bone.

It stands 10-15 heads now, and I'm proud !

Of course I'll like avast marine. :)

Attachments

• PXL_20230517_215417496.jpg
    PXL_20230517_215417496.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 62

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great shots and corals let's see some more.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my oldest coral, but not my first coral. I got it as a large frag from a 15 year old tank two years ago, and now it is a collective size of a basketball. I understand if the pic must be disqualified because of the clownfish. This (I believe) Green Nepthia is it's host, and it likes to photobomb.
PSX_20230608_202442.jpg

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my oldest coral, but not my first coral. I got it as a large frag from a 15 year old tank two years ago, and now it is a collective size of a basketball. I understand if the pic must be disqualified because of the clownfish. This (I believe) Green Nepthia is it's host, and it likes to photobomb.
PSX_20230608_202442.jpg
Don't see why pic must be disqualified ? Adding fish or inverts to pics can help add a feeling of dynamic or a story like the clown hosting an old Nepthea as its the biggest "home" in the tank.... to me a welcome addition.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't see why pic must be disqualified ? Adding fish or inverts to pics can help add a feeling of dynamic or a story like the clown hosting an old Nepthea as its the biggest "home" in the tank.... to me a welcome addition.
I wasn't certain how strict the subject had to be. Either way, I just like to participate because photography is a hobby of mine that I rarely have time for, but I really enjoy when coupled with reefing. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a fun competition.
Abd totally agree on photography and reefing complementing each other.
I wasn't certain how strict the subject had to be. Either way, I just like to participate because photography is a hobby of mine that I rarely have time for, but I really enjoy when coupled with reefing.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Its a fun competition.
Abd totally agree on photography and reefing complementing each other.
Sometimes... Other times photography insults reefing. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: It all depends on the skills of the photographer! :smiling-face-with-halo: (Talking about myself here)

Back