Juskr's 200 NUVO EXT Innovative Marine Peninsula

Juskr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I am starting a tank build thread for my NUVO EXT 200 Gallon Peninsula Innovative Marine. I will try my best to keep the build thread organized and updated with progress/photos. My hope is this thread will be helpful and entertaining.

I wanted to say thanks to a fellow R2R member Sean Clark who has a great build thread for the same tank and has been very helpful to me with specific questions.

With that said, lets get this build started.

Tank and Equipment List Most of my equipment was acquired from other reefers in Minnesota and was used on my previous 120 gallon fat boy mixed reef. I want this tank to have a very clean look which will be a challenge for me as I struggle to adhere to the KISS method or get intimidated (or lazy) with the final details.

Tank & Stand : Innovative Marine 200EXT Peninsula w/APS Stand - White
Sump: Trigger Systems Triton 44 V2 Sump
Lights: 2x Gen4 XR30Pros
Flow: 2x MP60's (I have 3x MP40's and a Neptune WAV pump that I may utilize).
Returns: WaveLine DC6000 - Run External & VarioS-6 Run Internal
Filter Socks
Reef Octopus POV DC2 Space Saver Protein Skimmer
Kessil H380
Versa Dosing Pump
2 BRS Dosing Pumps
Apex EL Controller & EB8 Energy Bar
Apex Trident
Apex DOS (AWC)
2x Finnex 300 Watt Heater
Tunze 3155 ATO

I am sure I am forgetting something but that should cover it.

My "Planned" Next post: Tank Moves, out with the old and in with the new... both very heavy.

IMG_2443.JPEG IMG_2449.JPEG

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I am starting a tank build thread for my NUVO EXT 200 Gallon Peninsula Innovative Marine. I will try my best to keep the build thread organized and updated with progress/photos. My hope is this thread will be helpful and entertaining.

I wanted to say thanks to a fellow R2R member Sean Clark who has a great build thread for the same tank and has been very helpful to me with specific questions.

With that said, lets get this build started.

Tank and Equipment List Most of my equipment was acquired from other reefers in Minnesota and was used on my previous 120 gallon fat boy mixed reef. I want this tank to have a very clean look which will be a challenge for me as I struggle to adhere to the KISS method or get intimidated (or lazy) with the final details.

Tank & Stand : Innovative Marine 200EXT Peninsula w/APS Stand - White
Sump: Trigger Systems Triton 44 V2 Sump
Lights: 2x Gen4 XR30Pros
Flow: 2x MP60's (I have 3x MP40's and a Neptune WAV pump that I may utilize).
Returns: 2x WaveLine DC6000 - Run External
Filter Socks
Reef Octopus POV DC2 Space Saver Protein Skimmer
Kessil H380
Versa Dosing Pump
2 BRS Dosing Pumps
Apex EL Controller & EB8 Energy Bar
Apex Trident
Apex DOS (AWC)
2x Finnex 300 Watt Heater

I am sure I am forgetting something but that should cover it.

My "Planned" Next post: Tank Moves, out with the old and in with the new... both very heavy.

IMG_2443.JPEG IMG_2449.JPEG
Haha! Thanks for the shout out. Looking good. Following along.

JonezNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be following along. Been out of the reef world for a few years and needing inspiration like this to start a tank back up

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I got the same tank only in the peninsula variety and black stand. My tank arrives next Friday!!! You look ready to go with most of your expensive equipment already purchased :) For me its going to take awhile to collect the expensive gear needed to get up and running but you can view my build thread and see how its coming along here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-new-200g-peninsula-build.883682/

Good luck I will follow along.

OP
OP
Juskr

Juskr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little behind on my build thread so here is my attempt to catch up.

Tank Moves
Part 1: Out with the old

My previous tank was a 120 Oceanic Tech tank (4x2x2) mixed reef which I loved. I was not planning on an upgrade this soon as I had several other house projects that needed to be completed first. However, when we pulled the trigger for new carpet, I was going to need to move the 120 for the install and decided that instead of resetting up the 120, this would be the best time for the upgrade.

I setup a temporary home using an acrylic drop of tank for the fish, live rock, bio balls, cheato and coral. As I drained the tank, i was able to capture all the fish and move them to their new home without issue. I used a 50/50 mix of new saltwater and old tank water and kept two cups of sand for my leapord wrasse to sleep in (and use to seed the new sand bed after a thorough wash).

Once I had the 120 drained, I was able to slid the tank around in the room for the carpet install. Once finished, I then refilled and started the cleaning process with several drains and refills with citric acid. I used the Sicce Ultra Zero Utility Pump for water circulation, draining and refilling which made this process much easier. During the winter in MN, cleaning reef gear can be a challenge as it has to be done inside and can stink up the house. I had to clean the tank in our living room on our newly installed carpet. Thankfully, I had no spills and once it was clean enough, I was able to sell the tank to a local hobbyist. Looking forward to seeing what the new owner will do in the near future.

120 (Setup 2/25/18 - Take Down 12/13/21)
3 years, 9 months, 2 weeks, 4 days
IMG_8806.JPG

Final pictures before breakdown.

IMG_2214.JPEG

IMG_2216.JPEG

IMG_2305.JPEG

IMG_2350.JPEG

Acrylic drop of tank acting as a temporary home.
IMG_2323.JPEG

OP
OP
Juskr

Juskr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Moves
Part 2: In with the new

The easy part of the new tank was building the stand. The stand took me around an hour to build by myself. The hard part was going to be moving the new tank into the house.

My initial thought was I would be able to get 5-6 friends to help, rent moving gear (Suction cups, dolly, etc). Once the tank was delivered, that option became less attractive as the tank is very heavy (600+lbs) and I had a challenging stairway to maneuver down.

After exploring all options, I decided to hire professional movers. I reached out to a few local moving companies, piano movers, and local aquarium shops. With COVID, labor shortages, and time of year, my options were limited. I ended up hiring a local professional aquarium company "Premier Aquarium Services" to handle the move as they were able to work with my tight schedule and were insured should anything happen to the tank or movers. Although it cost more to move the tank then I had budgeted for, I was very satisfied as the owner Mike and his team were outstanding to work with and very friendly. I really appreciated Mike's honesty throughout the process as he provided guidance on what I should do even if I went with someone else. Besides the tank being moved into the house flawlessly, the best part was Mike's team offered to take away all the packaging material that came with the tank which freed up my garage, which made my wife very happy.

With the tank in place, I wanted to get the tank plumbed so I could do a leak and equipment test which I will cover in my next post.

Stand
IMG_2357.JPEG
IMG_2365.JPEG
IMG_2371.JPEG

The dreaded stairs
IMG_2424.JPEG

Mike and Team from Premier Aquarium Services (I am the one in Grey)
IMG_2442.JPEG

My daughter pretending to swim
IMG_2489.JPEG
IMG_2493.JPEG

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my peninsula 200 int. Also hiring a.company to move it. $500. Ouch. Mind if I ask.why you went with peninsula if the tank is against the wall? Wouldn't a regular 200 be better? I ask because it's gonna be a pain to clean the side of the glass against the wall.

OP
OP
Juskr

Juskr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my peninsula 200 int. Also hiring a.company to move it. $500. Ouch. Mind if I ask.why you went with peninsula if the tank is against the wall? Wouldn't a regular 200 be better? I ask because it's gonna be a pain to clean the side of the glass against the wall.

Congrats on the 200 INT :)

The cost for movers is not cheap but if they are insured, you have peace of mind should anything happen your not out the cost of a brand new tank or be responsible for personal injury.

I went with the peninsula for a couple reasons. I liked having the filtration on the side of the tank and the flexibility in the future should I move the tank to another part of our family room and and setup as as true peninsula.

I dont plan on keeping the backside glass clean as your right in that it would be a pain to reach. I am going to put on a black background once I get around to it.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the 200 INT :)

The cost for movers is not cheap but if they are insured, you have peace of mind should anything happen your not out the cost of a brand new tank or be responsible for personal injury.

I went with the peninsula for a couple reasons. I liked having the filtration on the side of the tank and the flexibility in the future should I move the tank to another part of our family room and and setup as as true peninsula.

I dont plan on keeping the backside glass clean as your right in that it would be a pain to reach. I am going to put on a black background once I get around to it.
If the tank is already in place, how do you put on a black background?? I have a peninsula nano in a similar situation where the one side is against a wall. That side is covered by coralline. Definitely something I wish I thought of earlier.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back