Just a cute pic of my Pom Pom crab

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share a pic of my ever so cute Pom Pom crab I got a couple weeks ago. His new favorite hangout seems to be the intake grill of my AIO. I think he discovered this is where the good stuff gets sucked in which means minimal effort on his part to get food. Also... my pistol shrimp can't sneak up on him here. LOL Pretty smart little fella. He's become one of my favorites. If I could hug this guy I would. :)

20211017_234428_compress40.jpg

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They had a Pom Pom crab at the Lfs I go to but he had no Pom poms! :( My wife was trying to buy him, but I didn’t let her. If I get a Pom Pom I want one with anemones!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome picture. One of these guys is definitiely on the short list for my tank.
Thank you! I don't get really good pics very often. Thankfully he held the pose. Haha. Sometimes it's like playing "Where's Waldo" with this little guy (and my tank is only a 5g) but he comes out enough and for long enough that I have no regrets getting him! :) The first couple days were stressful because my pistol didn't seem too happy but all is fine now. One thing I would say... If you're buying online then confirm the crab has at least one pom/nem (these guys can split the single nem into two) . One of the members here bought one and it came with no poms and the vendor was making it difficult to get a refund. I was fortunate that I got mine from my LFS.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They had a Pom Pom crab at the Lfs I go to but he had no Pom poms! :( My wife was trying to buy him, but I didn’t let her. If I get a Pom Pom I want one with anemones!
Exactly... That's the point of keeping these crabs... The nems/poms! :) I'm sure they make great little crabs on their own but stores should be discounting them if they don't have the nems! Afterall it's not like they magically grow them!

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. I just picked one up 2 days ago at my LFS, so I could see that it had both anemones. Haven't seen much of him so far, hoping it'll start venturing out once it gets comfortable.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I don't get really good pics very often. Thankfully he held the pose. Haha. Sometimes it's like playing "Where's Waldo" with this little guy (and my tank is only a 5g) but he comes out enough and for long enough that I have no regrets getting him! :) The first couple days were stressful because my pistol didn't seem too happy but all is fine now. One thing I would say... If you're buying online then confirm the crab has at least one pom/nem (these guys can split the single nem into two) . One of the members here bought one and it came with no poms and the vendor was making it difficult to get a refund. I was fortunate that I got mine from my LFS.

Yeah I have a 14G so there are lots of drawbacks to what you can stock. So I figure might as well add some cool things you wouldn't see in a big tank. Was going to get one of these and some sexy shrimp. One of my LFS' is a pretty big place that regularly gets in stuff like this. Will give me an opportunity to make sure I get one with poms

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So awesome! Had one once. Awesome little guys so fun to watch. Have to get another one day. I caught a really bad case of dinos back then and he eventually lost his anemones. Tank crashed and lost everything. That was a while ago, we know more now.

They will appreciate particulate / zoo plankton type foods to catch. Reef Roids, Benepets for example. They'll cheer you on in appreciation for that. lol They hide most of the time and pop out at feeding time.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. I just picked one up 2 days ago at my LFS, so I could see that it had both anemones. Haven't seen much of him so far, hoping it'll start venturing out once it gets comfortable.
Mine went into hiding for a few days and I thought for sure he died because I didn't think it possible to lose something in a 5g! Wrong! Haha. I eventually found him frozen to one of my rocks. I swear he had changed color to blend in. I still wasn't sure if he was alive but putting a little food in front of him confirmed there was life. Haha. Then he'd move overnight so the hunt was on the next day to make sure he was OK. Then he started to emerge but my pistol shrimp kept scaring him. Then I became concerned for my pistol when McCrabby started punching him in the head with his nems. It was kind of comical but at the same time I didn't want any deaths. Now they hang out on opposites sides of the tank and life is good and McCrabby is out all the time. I don't have a lot in my tank right now so that might help with his confidence. I'm sure yours will follow a similar pattern. Take pics when you get the opportunity.

As a side note I find it shocking that places sell these guys at full price without the poms! It's even worse when online sellers do it and don't disclose this to the buyer! I didn't think anyone would be that unscrupulous!!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a 14G so there are lots of drawbacks to what you can stock. So I figure might as well add some cool things you wouldn't see in a big tank. Was going to get one of these and some sexy shrimp. One of my LFS' is a pretty big place that regularly gets in stuff like this. Will give me an opportunity to make sure I get one with poms
Oh yes, sexy shrimp are on my list as well. I'm just going very slowly with my 5g to make sure each new addition fits in with the gang! I'm limited on space for a tank but now I wish I had made room for a 10g. LOL Too many cool things on my list that I know won't fit simply because the "allotted space per creature ratio". Haha.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So awesome! Had one once. Awesome little guys so fun to watch. Have to get another one day. I caught a really bad case of dinos back then and he eventually lost his anemones. Tank crashed and lost everything. That was a while ago, we know more now.

They will appreciate particulate / zoo plankton type foods to catch. Reef Roids, Benepets for example. They'll cheer you on in appreciation for that. lol They hide most of the time and pop out at feeding time.
Oh... So sad to hear about your tank! I hope you get another pom at some point! You're right about the zooplankton. I was feeding live pods to my Hi Fin goby and instantly saw McCrabby joining in on the hunt. Now I'm setting up a separate tank to culture pods. I also have a brine shrimp hatchery I have to get started. It's amazing how the tank comes to life when they have to hunt down their food!! :)

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it was a long time ago. I'm definitely getting another one. Loved that guy. The baby brine should be a big hit. Almost everything in my tank goes absolutely nuts over them. All but the bigger fish. It's really fun to watch.

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went into hiding for a few days and I thought for sure he died because I didn't think it possible to lose something in a 5g! Wrong! Haha. I eventually found him frozen to one of my rocks. I swear he had changed color to blend in. I still wasn't sure if he was alive but putting a little food in front of him confirmed there was life. Haha. Then he'd move overnight so the hunt was on the next day to make sure he was OK. Then he started to emerge but my pistol shrimp kept scaring him. Then I became concerned for my pistol when McCrabby started punching him in the head with his nems. It was kind of comical but at the same time I didn't want any deaths. Now they hang out on opposites sides of the tank and life is good and McCrabby is out all the time. I don't have a lot in my tank right now so that might help with his confidence. I'm sure yours will follow a similar pattern. Take pics when you get the opportunity.

As a side note I find it shocking that places sell these guys at full price without the poms! It's even worse when online sellers do it and don't disclose this to the buyer! I didn't think anyone would be that unscrupulous!!
I don't have a pistol shrimp, but I do have a cleaner, peppermint and fire shrimp, and a couple emerald crabs. They all seem pretty peaceful so hopefully it stays that way, and the new one will slowly start to feel safe enough to come out.

KMCA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one online but he came with 1 pom and either lost it or had it die in transit, so I went into my (semi)LFS and got another one with 2 poms... he got mugged for one about 4 hours after he was released into the tank and now they have 3 between them.
Best part is I got it on film despite it being in the one corner I have no view of. (I saw a reflection in the glass and thought the crab had too many legs)

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one online but he came with 1 pom and either lost it or had it die in transit, so I went into my (semi)LFS and got another one with 2 poms... he got mugged for one about 4 hours after he was released into the tank and now they have 3 between them.
Best part is I got it on film despite it being in the one corner I have no view of. (I saw a reflection in the glass and thought the crab had too many legs)
They'll split the nem themselves and make 2 again. Don't worry.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @BanjoBandito said, the crab will split the single nem to make two and it's not unusual for a pom crab to mug another one for its nem. :) This YT video shows a pom splitting a nem and another two fighting over a nem. The video has subtitles at the top so read those. Pom Pom Crabs Steal Anemones
I really want one of these hairy pom pom crabs features in the video with the red nems. :)

Thanks for sharing you story! Post your video when you get a chance. These are my all time favourite inverts!! :)

Back