Just a few questions..

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ill look those up online. So let me ask this, do you necessarily want phosphates in your tank?
100% yes. Nitrates and phosphates are essential to photosynthesis in the zooxanthellae in the coral tissue. I don't have time right now, but I'll find some material for you tomorrow if you can't find any. :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one know the limit? Obviously if I'm asking, I might have an addiction. I can stop whenever I want and I only coral socially. Seriously, what is a good way to know?

I to would like to know. As well as how do you know if a coral you want can get to be to big for your tank.
One of the "concerns" is invasiveness, and reall the other is once you get into stony corals. They suck the cal/alk up pretty fast. SO a spending spree on a tom of sps/lps with a non C/A dosed tank the alk will bottom out fast.

Also there will be a huge draw on your nutrients as well. In a "fat" or higher nutrient tank like mine it's not a real problem.

The other is the trouble shooting prob of "what did I add last", IF something goes wrong, like pests, chemical warfare, sudden decline in the tank health, etc.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the "concerns" is invasiveness, and reall the other is once you get into stony corals. They suck the cal/alk up pretty fast. SO a spending spree on a tom of sps/lps with a non C/A dosed tank the alk will bottom out fast.

Also there will be a huge draw on your nutrients as well. In a "fat" or higher nutrient tank like mine it's not a real problem.

The other is the trouble shooting prob of "what did I add last", IF something goes wrong, like pests, chemical warfare, sudden decline in the tank health, etc.
Do you ha e any links or anything that i can read about nutrients and corals and all that?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% yes. Nitrates and phosphates are essential to photosynthesis in the zooxanthellae in the coral tissue. I don't have time right now, but I'll find some material for you tomorrow if you can't find any. :)

+1, but with limits. Very high nitrates and phosphates are detrimental to corals and fish.

The exact "target zone" is debatable, but I like my phosphates around .02 and nitrates 2.5-5.

For test kits, you will eventually want the big 3 (calcium, alkalinity, and Magnesium) I use the Red Sea pro kit personally, since it has all three. I also regularly test phosphates and nitrates with salifert tests, and I keep an ammonia kit on hand for emergencies (this is one of the first things to check if fish or corals are going downhill)

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ha e any links or anything that i can read about nutrients and corals and all that?

Yup, Good stuff.

Im a googler too ... And at the bottom of scientific articles follow the references for more in depth stuff.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/11/aafeature
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aafeature

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vee guys i really apreciate all the advice. Im gonna read what you gave me but do you think i should take out the phosband from my filter? If so what should i replace it with?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vee guys i really apreciate all the advice. Im gonna read what you gave me but do you think i should take out the phosband from my filter? If so what should i replace it with?

If it's helping with the algae, I'd leave it. Just make sure to switch it out every so often.

Eventually, you might consider a GFO reactor...but that's up to you.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's helping with the algae, I'd leave it. Just make sure to switch it out every so often.

Eventually, you might consider a GFO reactor...but that's up to you.
Well i have an all in one but only space for a small skimmer or reactor not both. What would be more important?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer.
Phosphates are easy.
My 18 mo old cube is sumpless with a skimmer and hob refugium.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer.
Phosphates are easy.
My 18 mo old cube is sumpless with a skimmer and hob refugium.
Yeah i have a nuvo 10 gallon and wanted to do skimmer eventually but not quite yet. Maybe in a couple months. I was looking at the inovative marine desktop ghost skimmer but alot of the reveiws kinda make it seem like its not all that great.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like everyone took great care of getting you what you need! I wouldn't expect anything less from R2R :)

One thing I did want to point out (sorry for not being more specific) is that I think @ngoodermuth meant to suggest shooting for a PO4 level of .02, not .2 (lol the zero is easily forgotten, but very important). Due to the fact that it is such a small number I use the Hanna ULR phosphorus checker. It is a bit pricey, but IMO it's well worth it.

Have you had a chance to take a look at any of the material?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like everyone took great care of getting you what you need! I wouldn't expect anything less from R2R :)

One thing I did want to point out (sorry for not being more specific) is that I think @ngoodermuth meant to suggest shooting for a PO4 level of .02, not .2 (lol the zero is easily forgotten, but very important?
Yes, sorry- I edited the original post

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sorry- I edited the original post
I figured. There were just far too many times when I was just starting out that I would read something and tale it as gospel only to find out that it was horribly wrong... Lol 1" of fish per gallon...

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One thing I did want to point out (sorry for not being more specific) is that I think @ngoodermuth meant to suggest shooting for a PO4 level of .02, not .2 (lol the zero is easily forgotten, but very important). Due to the fact that it is such a small number I use the Hanna ULR phosphorus checker. It is a bit pricey, but IMO it's well worth it.

Have you had a chance to take a look at any of the material?
Not all of it but ive been reading some and googling alot about it. But i still need to keep reading still kinda confused on it all. Hah.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got questions, fire away!
So far on phosphates none just tons of reading and it doesnt help that im the kinda guy that can read something and then totally forget what i just read.. But as far as a 10 gallon goes how many fish could i get away with having? I really want 2 fish..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back