Just a quick question 10 gallon

dr.nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon tank that has been running for 4 months now. I have inside the tank

2 peices of live rock
2 fire shrimp
7 snails
4 hermit crabs
And a couple corals on the sand bed (2 torches, 2 blasto, a couple zoas, 1 Duncan)

i have realized after looking online and seeing every other tank I have realized I want to add a bunch for live rock and build up the rock scape and glue all my coral onto the rock.

Will it be a problem if I take out the 2 pieces of rock I have inside the tank and place 8 new pieces of rock into the tank? The rock will be bought from a local aquarium store that has been cured and running in a tank with only rock in it for over 3 months!
Will this rock be ok to add in and start gluing my corals or is this a disaster idea and will ruin my tank????
PLEASE ANY ADVICE !!!!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that the LFS had their water chemistry in balance, one issue I see is that it is going to introduce different bacteria into your tank and it might take a little time for the 'survival of the fittest' fight to take place. Most likely a non event for you, but I would still give it a couple days after you introduce the rock into your tank..just in case.

The second issue I see is that you are not planning on quarantining the new rock, just in case? Possibility that you get some unwanted hitchhikers into your tank as well. I see this as the biggest problem. Maybe talk to your LFS about what they have going on? Is it connected to their main display tanks or completely separated?

Probably a little over cautious as most people would drop it right in but just me.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back