Just a word of warning!

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek:With the very warm weather that is upon us in the East, I think all reefers and especially folks that are new to the hobby must be aware of the dangers when tank heat goes over 78 and upward...It was close to 90 in my area yesterday after a cool spring...I looked at the tank temp and it was 79 degrees... luckily I have AC in that room...I took out the winter insulation quickly and flipped it on...it went down to 77...

So be aware that an overheated tank can kill your corals...if you don't have a chiller or AC, you better invest...its gonna be a hot...climate changed summer...:eek:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you post this....my room air conditioner went into the fish room window yesterday. Tank was up to 79.7, so it was time (Central NJ...I think mid 80's yesterday). It's running right now with the tank now at 78.

Good reminder! Thanks for posting.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 incidents where I've lost corals to my AC going out. The upper limit for me is 86, that's when things started bleaching. I used to run my tank at 81-82 for years. Now I run it around 78 to give it a little more margin for error.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 incidents where I've lost corals to my AC going out. The upper limit for me is 86, that's when things started bleaching. I used to run my tank at 81-82 for years. Now I run it around 78 to give it a little more margin for error.
I usually transition between temps around now-ish. I run warmer in the winter (80-81) and cooler in the summer (78-79) to give myself some space.

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to put the AC in the window for the tarantulas last night. Guess I know which room the tank is going in.

Cheers,
rant

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually transition between temps around now-ish. I run warmer in the winter (80-81) and cooler in the summer (78-79) to give myself some space.

I don't have to worry about it getting too cool if the heat goes out because I have a generator and can throw an extra heater or two in the tank.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw-running your tank cooler, 76 for me, keeps a lot of stuff in check. Less algae blooms, less disease, less infections, and a whole bunch more O2. I have a cool basement, and temperature isn't bad either.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's not. 76-79 is the accepted standard for reef tanks. Absolutely zero reason to run a reef at 80 or higher.
My reefs are usually set to around 79 degrees, but you can most certainly go into the 80's with ZERO problems.
Stability within 1-5 degrees is more important than the temperature itself.
To the OP's point before everyone started arguing about actual temps, if your reef is used to being stuck right at 77 degrees, 24/7/365, then a sudden jump to 88 can be harmful.
But other than that, look at the temps of the waters where real coral reefs thrive.
https://php.radford.edu/~swoodwar/biomes/?page_id=837

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I live in Phoenix, my heater hasn't even come on in almost 3 months, and last week we hit 95 degrees...

One thing you can do is put fans over the tank (or sump) blowing down at the water. I keep three desk fans over my tank, triggered by my Apex, and the tank stays between 77-79. I have more evaporation, but a big ATO container.

I realize evaporative cooling may be a little less efficient with higher humidities, but if you don't have a chiller, it is a quick fix...

20150719_183139.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who doesn't have a AC now days.
77 morning and 79.5 late afternoon.
Don't have a heater on my tank as during the winter my NEST will heat the rooms up.
Oh did I tell you we have only two seasons here in South TX................. spring and summer :p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back