7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the wrase. It’s so pretty!
Thanks for stopping by my thread.
I will let her know what you said.

This is a really nice build. I’m hoping to have something like this for my upgrade tank. I better start saving now so the wife doesn’t kill me lol
Thanks for the kind words. I started saving way before the build then took almost a year to get the tank wet. Slowly save and hide all receipts.

SpikeWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the kind words. I started saving way before the build then took almost a year to get the tank wet. Slowly save and hide all receipts.

Yes this is a fantastic build. Red Sea is pretty close to my heart. My first reef tank was a Red Sea 130d. Kept that badboy for over 9 years. Loved that system :)

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is a fantastic build. Red Sea is pretty close to my heart. My first reef tank was a Red Sea 130d. Kept that badboy for over 9 years. Loved that system :)
Thanks for stopping by. I love the tank for my first tank. Made things easier. Only thing is having the dry side for electronics makes it hard to upgrade to a bigger sump for more room. I don’t regret getting a Red Sea but at times I want a bigger fuge

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up what I think is a Mystic sunset. My thought is to grow it on a magnetic rock on the back glass. I want to use SPS skeleton’s on the rock for it to encrust to give dimensions.
Just added to my tank so color and polyps are just starting to come out
6E0B9684-FA0E-43B4-AA32-139A405712C2.jpeg

Couple weeks ago I measured out alk to bring fresh saltwater close to what my tank is. I don’t test alk after because it is always close for a water change. Couplehours after water change apex alert for low alk. Tested tank with Hanna and it was indeed .7 low. Confused how that could happen so I dosed the amount to bring tank to 8.8 and came short again. Not sure what happened but back on track after a couple doses. This week I measured same amount of alk and dosed to new fresh saltwater but tested first.
508A56D8-1DEB-48F8-9216-31132B9CA16A.jpeg

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those prices on all that stuff is exuberant to say the least.... $140 for a bird's nest????? ;Jawdrop;Jawdrop
Some prices are ok and some are high. The area and clientele of the area. I always work out deals. Some are more on line with reality and some I win. Got a his price $150 frag xxx Goni for $40. I’m happy as a camper. I’ll share pics soon when I have time

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i prefer the sunset monti over the goni. Perhaps you could make several sunset bits over small frags in the sand.
I like this idea. I will have to give it a try and see how it goes. Frags on the sand bed take a beating from snails, starfish and goby. If it doesn’t work easy enough to move the. Appreciate the idea

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent couple months stacking rock to move anemone off the main rock structure in the tank. After going in circles and moving sps I finally pulled the rock out. Took 50 minutes hanging rock upside down out of water and working the foot free with my driver license until I couldn’t reach anymore. Then I used my finger and ice cube for the remainder.
One rock island with 2 anemones do to a split for the clowns. When I find a replacement anemone I will pull the anemone rock and finally be done with them.
I can’t put in words how excited I am at this moment.

Meleagris and radiant waiting for food. The little meleagris will join in the feeding frenzy with borbs and tangs but after they push her around she will go low and pick scraps. She is a little trooper
8A98EB01-D2BF-4B76-88EF-996588D4E0D3.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or take the other half along and a lot less apologies later.

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you keep up with pods with all those pod eater. Especially for the mandarin
Mandarin only eats live pods. 1/2 the wrasse always hunt and pick but not like the mandarin. With all the other wrasse I didn’t have the leopards. Leopards eat a lot of pods and I’m planning on 3. I’m little concerned but will remove a leopard or 2 if it’s a problem. I also want to find a female mandarin for my male. With the leopards I’m not sure that’s going to happen. Also had a pipefish but unfortunately I think he got tangled in a power head.

The bigger wrasse seem to want the amohipods being bigger and I think that helped. I also feed Phyto more times then not. After the tank cycle I added Copepods and amphipods. Not sure if Phyto helps but tank as a whole seems to like it.

Once in a blue moon I’ll add pods for a piece of mind.
The heart of it all. About 12-13 gallon fuge
3DDA2334-F6B2-4802-BB82-C85702F79B68.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin only eats live pods. 1/2 the wrasse always hunt and pick but not like the mandarin. With all the other wrasse I didn’t have the leopards. Leopards eat a lot of pods and I’m planning on 3. I’m little concerned but will remove a leopard or 2 if it’s a problem. I also want to find a female mandarin for my male. With the leopards I’m not sure that’s going to happen. Also had a pipefish but unfortunately I think he got tangled in a power head.

The bigger wrasse seem to want the amohipods being bigger and I think that helped. I also feed Phyto more times then not. After the tank cycle I added Copepods and amphipods. Not sure if Phyto helps but tank as a whole seems to like it.

Once in a blue moon I’ll add pods for a piece of mind.
The heart of it all. About 12-13 gallon fuge
3DDA2334-F6B2-4802-BB82-C85702F79B68.jpeg
Thanks. I'm contemplating adding a mandarin to my 55. Pods galore. Just worry about my big Mel wrasse

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm contemplating adding a mandarin to my 55. Pods galore. Just worry about my big Mel wrasse
Honestly I think you will be fine. It worried me after reading 200 plus gallon tanks and people not being able to support them. I think that is a rare thing or some other issue. I’ve seen them and wrasse in bare bottoms without issue.

I say try but get a fat one from the beginning. Don’t get one already thin and watch him. I look to make sure mine stay plump and that he stays consistent picking pods. If he hunts more then picks I would worry.

Getting a mandarin was very much like my bubble tip in the beginning. Always concerned

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back