Just add water Red Sea 425 XL / WrasseTasic

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone this will be my first tank so I hope you join me on my journey. I will need a lot of help and guidance. Please be patient as this will take a long time to complete. So stop by and say hello or just push me to get it done.

I ordered a Red Sea 425 XL back In march but it took about 2 months to get to me. After unboxing and cleaning the glass I saw a scratch on the right side of the tank. Red Sea sent a replacement that came cracked and now I think I may have started a hobby that I shouldn’t have. Oh well can’t turn back now. Let’s hope 3 times is a charm and the third one holds water.

Update 9/15/2019
1DFF71E2-64FF-4284-8B63-5548CA5DB827.jpeg

Equipment List

Red Sea 425 XL
2 EcoTech xr30 pro g4 with RMS mounts
2 EcoTech MP40
EcoTech battery backup
EcoTech L1 return
Nyos 160 skimmer
2 200 watt Eheim Jager heaters
Neptune Apex 2016
Neptune Trident
2 Neptune DOS/DDR
Neptune ATk
Neptune WXM
Neptune AFS
Neptune MPR

Assortment of accessories
BRS 150 GPD 6 stage rodi with booster pump
EcoTech power supply brackets
EcoTech driver brackets
Vivid Creative Aquatics RFG and Red Sea adaptor
Tropic Eden Mesolakes substrate

Fish list 10/5/2021
BTA hosting Ocellaris Clown pair
Pink Spot goby / Pistol shrimp
Potters leopard wrasse
Vivien leopard wrasse
Meleagris leopard wrasse
Half banded Madagascar flasher wrasse
McCosker's flasher wrasse
Pintail fairy wrasse
Flame wrasse
Rhomboid wrasse
Iridis wrasse
Achilles tang
Tomini Tang
Copper band butterfly
Midas blenny
Fire Shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp

256553B5-F53D-4FFE-BB90-4F39092835D1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these are older pictures so I’ll slowly update in till I catch up
Stand is built
D4AA3B14-7D8F-44D0-9C23-62C611DB204A.jpeg

Tank is on the stand and lights installed. I used composite shims to level stand. The stand is on carpet so I may have to adjust as weight is added.
206BDBB1-9D38-4564-9A61-2DDBA3D33D6A.jpeg

EF6A1161-171C-4911-BC4F-E2A0E2590867.jpeg

3 days after this I changed my mind on how I am doing the electronics side and will have to take stand back apart then level it again. I had the original tank on stand before I saw the scratch so I’m pretty good at moving the tank.

I lost the pictures of the box I built for the electronics. It was a box built out of MDF and sealed with Plasti-dip. It fits snug in my dry side. I did this so I didn’t have to screw into Red Sea cabinet.
Here it is installed
8C38AB8A-5BA8-4F63-8314-AD111F2FC291.jpeg

Last edited:

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to it! If I could make a suggestion as a Reefer 450 owner, get a new ATO system as soon as you can. The gravity fed one that comes with the system is utter garbage. I've had it clog for no reason many many times, and forget about using something like kalk with it. It's worth investing in a Tunze Osmolator or something comparable and then getting a larger ATO reservoir. The one that comes with the system will last 2-3 days max in the summer. Maybe slightly longer in the winter, but not much.

Buddy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and great equipment list! You may want to think about adding a third hydra 26hd. I have two over a cadlights 70g with a width of only 36". I have mainly softies and I am getting by but wish I had a little more light.

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and great equipment list! You may want to think about adding a third hydra 26hd. I have two over a cadlights 70g with a width of only 36". I have mainly softies and I am getting by but wish I had a little more light.

Unfortunately that's not easy to do with the new Reefer deluxe setups as the arms for the hydras as custom made for the tank and actually screw into plugs in the back glass. It's really ingenius, but you can't just go and add another light without purchasing all new arms.

I have a 450 which is 1 foot longer than the 425xl and it has 3 hydras, which I'm very happy with. I think the OP is right on the edge. He'll be fine with two, but three would also not be a bad suggestion.

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to it! If I could make a suggestion as a Reefer 450 owner, get a new ATO system as soon as you can. The gravity fed one that comes with the system is utter garbage. I've had it clog for no reason many many times, and forget about using something like kalk with it. It's worth investing in a Tunze Osmolator or something comparable and then getting a larger ATO reservoir. The one that comes with the system will last 2-3 days max in the summer. Maybe slightly longer in the winter, but not much.
Thank you for stoping by.
I have a ATK to use with my Apex. I will not be using the stock container. I will be getting a bigger container for top off water. I appreciate you looking out for me!

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that's not easy to do with the new Reefer deluxe setups as the arms for the hydras as custom made for the tank and actually screw into plugs in the back glass. It's really ingenius, but you can't just go and add another light without purchasing all new arms.

I have a 450 which is 1 foot longer than the 425xl and it has 3 hydras, which I'm very happy with. I think the OP is right on the edge. He'll be fine with two, but three would also not be a bad suggestion.
The new tanks. Don’t have the light holes anymore. The light bracket clamps to the glass like other brackets. So I got options down the road.
If you want a picture of the new bracket let me know.

Thank you. I was going to go with ecotech radion but got 20% off on the delux model so it was hard to pass up. If and when the time comes for more lights I will change it up.

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did start a hobby you shouldn't have. It's call an addiction. :)

It goes on a long list of addictions. They have all been expensive. Actually reefing will be a little cheaper and easier on the body.
Had a bad off road addiction from trucks, ATV, dirt bikes, list goes on lol

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you belong to a local reef club? That would be a great way to get your coral addiction started. Lots of people share frags. I know you've been dealing with an injury. There may even be someone willing to re-home a fish for ya.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back