Shaggymv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy

just got a Diamond Goby

acclimated, and he immediately dig himself a new home between some live rock and disappeared for a while.

this morning he came out for some shrimp and is hanging out by his place.

Here’s the question
He seems to be occasionally jumping a bit and opening his mouth up super wide. Not like gasping or anything.

is this just a Goby quirk, like maybe he is trying to scare my giant face or something? Or should I be concerned?

(water properties were all good on last check)

thanks
Shaggy

Last edited:

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think the "yawn" is anything to worry about. Ive had a few over the years and all have done that. Always just assumed it was maybe being in a new environment being sand sifters that caused it, maybe getting used to your substrate.

The jumping - Never stops. I find these are the biggest jumpers ive ever had in the hobby and i hope you have a lid/net above the tank. Its definitely a necessity with this species.

OP
OP
Shaggymv

Shaggymv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I wasn’t clear, I meant like a little jerk as he opens his mouth, not actual jumping yet.

I do have a lid though, thanks for the tip:)
I dont think the "yawn" is anything to worry about. Ive had a few over the years and all have done that. Always just assumed it was maybe being in a new environment being sand sifters that caused it, maybe getting used to your substrate.

The jumping - Never stops. I find these are the biggest jumpers ive ever had in the hobby and i hope you have a lid/net above the tank. Its definitely a necessity with this species.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy

just got a Diamond Goby

acclimated, and he immediately dig himself a new home between some live rock and disappeared for a while.

this morning he came out for some shrimp and is hanging out by his place.

Here’s the question
He seems to be occasionally jumping a bit and opening his mouth up super wide. Not like gasping or anything.

is this just a Goby quirk, like maybe he is trying to scare my giant face or something? Or should I be concerned?

(water properties were all good on last check)

thanks
Shaggy
mines pretty fearless... but doesnt do anything.. it likes every fish in my tank but once my bi color blenny comes around he gets all mad and opens up his mouth acting like hes the top dog...

them opening up their mouths wide open and looking like they are extending up their head is a sign of them saying its their tuff and they dont consider you or the other fish friendly. At least thats how mine is.

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I wasn’t clear, I meant like a little jerk as he opens his mouth, not actual jumping yet.

I do have a lid though, thanks for the tip:)
My Diamond does exactly what you describe whenever my Longnose Hawkfish gives him the stink eye. I'm guessing it's a posturing of sorts.

Last edited:
Back