Just added an Australian Harlequin Tusk. Wish me luck!

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Stock List in rough order of addition:

(4) Clown fish
(3) Banggai Cardinals
-------------------------------------------
Yellow Tang
Sailfin Tang
Purple Tang
One spot Foxface
-------------------------------------
(2) Cleaner Shrimp
(2) Blood Shrimp
Hermit crabs, Turbo snails, 2 sand sifting starfish
-----------------------------------
(3) 3-Stripe Damsels
(2) Yellow-tail Damsels
(2) Domino Damsels
---------------------------------------------
(2) Barlett's Anthias
Diamond watchman goby
-------------------------------------------------
Blonde Naso
Bluethroat Trigger

Now this guy
IMG_1047.jpg

Resident idiot Yellow Tang chased him around until this morning but now is leaving him be. The quiet before the storm is happening now.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I hope your HT is the nicest guy on the block and you won't have to worry about those caves

OP
OP
P

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
It's been 8 days since he was put in the tank. The Yellow Tang finally let him start swimming on the other side of the tank. He's excited and swimming laps/exploring the tank at the same time. He eats 2 clams on a half shell anytime I put them in the tank.

This guy LOVES swimming.

I know this is the honeymoon phase so I'll continue keeping a close eye on him. No tragedies yet.

He is an awesome fish, I love this guy.

OP
OP
P

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
How big is your tank? How about a few pics of your caves?

220 gallons

Excuse the lighting and general nature of the picture. It's just the best one I have handy to show the caves.

These goobers all fight over the farthest cave on the right. I didn't plan the OVERHANG situation looking back on it. The other caves don't have the cavernous feel of the one to the right.

The Sailfin has claimed that one and he doesn't let anyone else near it at night.

dumdum.jpg

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! How long is it? That’s allot of fish in 220g but it should work....

OP
OP
P

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Beautiful tank! How long is it? That’s allot of fish in 220g but it should work....
6 feet. thanks for the compliment. this tank is still very young but the fish have been doing great. there is enough of a playground that they do different things and don't bang into each other. knock on wood, aggression issues have been nothing violent with any of the fish yet.

Niteowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about jealous right now. I love those fish. I just don’t have room........... yet. Lol

OP
OP
P

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
10 Days in and he just chowed down on the first cleaner shrimp...he's obviously getting more comfortable in the tank. This is on top of him being well fed daily.

3 Shrimp remain

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 feet. thanks for the compliment. this tank is still very young but the fish have been doing great. there is enough of a playground that they do different things and don't bang into each other. knock on wood, aggression issues have been nothing violent with any of the fish yet.
As they get larger and older aggression will increase. The naso alone can grow to 1 1/2 feet although the largest I’ve seen in aquarium is probably around 14/15 inches. He is one of my favorites and also on the tamer side of tangs. It will be interesting as the sail fin, yellow and purple grow Older. Keep an eye and be ready to move one or two in the future or you can always use it a reason to get a bigger tank! Good luck.

OP
OP
P

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
11 days in and today I can not find a single shrimp. He's also starting to look aggressive against the Trigger when I feed the half clams. The shrimp are like chips to him, I bet you can't eat just one.

I think the Tangs are mad at him for eating the swim by car wash staff...they are showing their tails and wagging at him.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 days in and today I can not find a single shrimp. He's also starting to look aggressive against the Trigger when I feed the half clams. The shrimp are like chips to him, I bet you can't eat just one.

I think the Tangs are mad at him for eating the swim by car wash staff...they are showing their tails and wagging at him.
Not surprised. If you look on YouTube you will see videos of tusk aggressive behavior towards all inverts....

OP
OP
P

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Not surprised. If you look on YouTube you will see videos of tusk aggressive behavior towards all inverts....
I agree. I knew it was a possibility. I am now going to monitor and make sure he doesn't start attacking fish...that will be the line. This guy is fed AMPLE amounts, but you also can't expect them to go against their nature.

Back