Just added first corals.

Spardad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post. I just added my first corals. A hammer and zoanthid. I acclimated them for about an hour. Dipped them, and placed them in my tank. Within two hours they were open. So i turned on my current light to 30% power. Now they both are fully open. Should i leave my light cycle on? Ive read you should keep them off for 24 to 48 hours. And when should I feed them reef roids for the first tme?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg

I never acclimate corals... I bring them home, dip them and directly into the DT.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test your phosphate if you are using reef roids.
Best thing for those corals is fish poop and the right light.
Welcome to the forum.
We have a zoa garden hosting 2 clowns, low flow and lowish light, 100 par max.
Lights on normal cycle should be good

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post. I just added my first corals. A hammer and zoanthid. I acclimated them for about an hour. Dipped them, and placed them in my tank. Within two hours they were open. So i turned on my current light to 30% power. Now they both are fully open. Should i leave my light cycle on? Ive read you should keep them off for 24 to 48 hours. And when should I feed them reef roids for the first tme?
I would not change your current light cycle provided it includes a period of darkness. Corals need to “rest” as well.
Feed them, sure, but it’s not it’s primary source of nutrition so many times, just adds to the nutrients level.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t feed your coral reef roids
Your tank is way to young to feed.
and as far as your lights.
I always look to see where the corals came from. If there light are strong. IMO no need to accumulate. If they are weak or different spectrum then yea

my advice to anyone with a new tank go slow
My friend started a new tank. He didn’t add fish for 4 months. Everything was growing

ever had sps growing. Told him to wait at least a year before adding fish because IMO over feeding and poor water quality is number one killer of corals well month 4 he added fish. My 6 all his sps are dead
Go slow

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to da Reef!
It’s over now. You’ve already did the dip,dip, dunk. All Reefers are nervous the first time but after the plunge R2R will be your guide to a smooth ride. No going back now! Lol
Seriously, best of luck. Light acclimation is best approach to adding corals. Looks like you’re off to a good start!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back