Just automated my whole aquarium for $70

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After trying out a neptune apex and then going to a ghl profilux 4 I am finally happy with my setup. The best thing is it is all voice controlled now with the rest of my house using Alexa. Light schedules, Heaters, Powerheads, Skimmer, Return Pump are all controlled using a simple app and one Wifi Power Strip. I can even monitor the power usage on each individual plug so I will know if something is starting to have problems and catch it ahead of time. Will never go back to the mess of wires I had before this setup. Clean and simple and can be controlled when away from home.

And if this still looks like alot of wires. This is my wires to the heater controller, 3 kessil lights, 4 t5 lights, gyre xf350 powerheads, Seneye, Ecotech Return Pump, and Skimmer. :)

20190915_145244.jpg 20190915_150616.jpg

Last edited:

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking of doing similar br went against it as I couldn’t control my light based on temperature but stop the CARx is pH is too low, etc.

reefin_pico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a four plug strip that is similar and it's great. Can you monitor power usage from each individual outlet? Mine does not monitor power consumption but I would like one that does.

OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking of doing similar br went against it as I couldn’t control my light based on temperature but stop the CARx is pH is too low, etc.

My seneye would send an alert if my temp was off. Then I can either kill the lights if too high or turn on the spare heater if too low from anywhere. I've never had to do either as we keep the house at 70 year round.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After trying out a neptune apex and then going to a ghl profilux 4 I am finally happy with my setup. The best thing is it is all voice controlled now with the rest of my house using Alexa. Light schedules, Heaters, Powerheads, Skimmer, Return Pump are all controlled using a simple app and one Wifi Power Strip. I can even monitor the power usage on each individual plug so I will know if something is starting to have problems and catch it ahead of time. Will never go back to the mess of wires I had before this setup. Clean and simple and can be controlled when away from home.

And if this still looks like alot of wires. This is my wires to the heater controller, 3 kessil lights, 4 t5 lights, gyre xf350 powerheads, Seneye, Ecotech Return Pump, and Skimmer. :)

I luv it, thanks,comrade

OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a four plug strip that is similar and it's great. Can you monitor power usage from each individual outlet? Mine does not monitor power consumption but I would like one that does.

Yes, you can monitor power for each individual outlet. Maybe i need to be getting a commission from Kasa, ha. It's just that this has really made my life easier and i wanted to share.

Screenshot_20190915-173448.png Screenshot_20190915-173452.png

rodney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does it have built in serge protection? Looks cool.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can monitor power for each individual outlet. Maybe i need to be getting a commission from Kasa, ha. It's just that this has really made my life easier and i wanted to share.

Screenshot_20190915-173448.png Screenshot_20190915-173452.png
This is awesome! Thank you for sharing.
How many on and off periods do you have on each outlet? I’d like to replace my timers on my dosing pumps...

OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have built in serge protection? Looks cool.

Yep, I also have it plugged into a gfci outlet. I will probably be adding another as I had my tank plugged into two separate gfci outlets before with half the life support going to each outlet so If one outlet tripped my tank wouldn't crash.

OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! Thank you for sharing.
How many on and off periods do you have on each outlet? I’d like to replace my timers on my dosing pumps...

Right now I have my lights setup to turn on/off at different times. The real convenience is if I'm feeding my tank I will wait until the food is broadcast and then just tell Alexa to turn off the powerheads, or during water changes I can tell Alexa to turn off the skimmer and return pump. If I need to clean my skimmer cup I can just tell alexa to turn off the skimmer. No more going into apps or pressing physical buttons when your hands are usually wet. :)

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have my lights setup to turn on/off at different times. The real convenience is if I'm feeding my tank I will wait until the food is broadcast and then just tell Alexa to turn off the powerheads, or during water changes I can tell Alexa to turn off the skimmer and return pump. If I need to clean my skimmer cup I can just tell alexa to turn off the skimmer. No more going into apps or pressing physical buttons when your hands are usually wet. :)
Thank you! I didn’t even think about the return pump and wave makers. Turning on and off with Alexa would be awesome.

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great for the price, but your title is a bit misleading.

You’ve said several time that you need to take manual intervention do do stuff (my Seneye sends me an alert, and then I do...).

That’s not automation in my book!

Have you considered IFTTT which might remove you from the equation?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at these but I have a few WIFI outlets (different manufacturers) and they are famous for randomly disconnecting so not sure I would trust it.. will be curious about long term usage.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens when your connection drops? What happens when there is a power failure? I really want to try these for various things but those are my concerns.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run APEX and I still find many uses for these smart outlets. There are only so many Energy bars that I really need. I use a different brand, but have had no issues (aside from user error) with them losing connection or loosing power so far. In fact, after power cuts, it is my APEX that I have to reboot.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back