Just automated my whole aquarium for $70

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I have a RKL with 2 power bars and still have a 6 outlet power strip in the back, which is a little hard to reach to turn on/off outlets. One of these could come in handy.

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that the home automation setups don't power on their connected devices after a power outage which means only a small 10 second power outage/flicker will be a disaster.

If it's possible, workaround would be creating a schedule where the return pump turns ON every 30 mins.

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After trying out a neptune apex and then going to a ghl profilux 4 I am finally happy with my setup. The best thing is it is all voice controlled now with the rest of my house using Alexa. Light schedules, Heaters, Powerheads, Skimmer, Return Pump are all controlled using a simple app and one Wifi Power Strip. I can even monitor the power usage on each individual plug so I will know if something is starting to have problems and catch it ahead of time. Will never go back to the mess of wires I had before this setup. Clean and simple and can be controlled when away from home.

And if this still looks like alot of wires. This is my wires to the heater controller, 3 kessil lights, 4 t5 lights, gyre xf350 powerheads, Seneye, Ecotech Return Pump, and Skimmer. :)

20190915_145244.jpg 20190915_150616.jpg

Does it have bluetooth? Thx

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the UK so may well be different but I’ve used these things for over a year now, KOI branded though so different in that aspect. My point of this post though is that I’ve had multiple power outages and regular WiFi drops and it keeps the settings and gets itself back up perfectly each time. I have three power bars that control everything. They even had small features most wouldn’t care for such as turning on outlet A if the weather reaches temp A outside.... for example. I have a set of fans turn on if the weather in my location reaches 25degrees using this. Like the OP, I love them, wouldn’t go abroad without them and for me, they are 10x more reliable than a big leading controller I’ve used before.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great for the price, but your title is a bit misleading.

You’ve said several time that you need to take manual intervention do do stuff (my Seneye sends me an alert, and then I do...).

That’s not automation in my book!

Have you considered IFTTT which might remove you from the equation?
I agree. This might be called "remote control". Nevertheless, it's a very cost effective way to achieve some ability to manage a system.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a cheaper wifi powerstrip that doesnt have the monitors and only allows 64 actions for each day. I tried to set up alternating power heads every 10 minutes. I think I will upgrade to the one you have if it allows unlimited actions.

OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that the home automation setups don't power on their connected devices after a power outage which means only a small 10 second power outage/flicker will be a disaster.

If it's possible, workaround would be creating a schedule where the return pump turns ON every 30 mins.

This one does. I made sure to flip the main breaker in the breaker box to simulate a power outage several times to make sure. I would recommend everyone to do that no matter what system you are running.

I also installed two gfci outlets at my tank and had to kill the power several times and all good. :)

I would also recommend a battery backup on your powerheads in case of total power loss. I use a deep cycle battery that will last over 48 hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great for the price, but your title is a bit misleading.

You’ve said several time that you need to take manual intervention do do stuff (my Seneye sends me an alert, and then I do...).

That’s not automation in my book!

Have you considered IFTTT which might remove you from the equation?

Yes, I use IFTTT for things like my thermostat changing, lights turning off and doors locking when no one is at home and then changing back when someone gets close.

As for my aquarium, All I want is simple and reliable.

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I use IFTTT for things like my thermostat changing, lights turning off and doors locking when no one is at home and then changing back when someone gets close.

As for my aquarium, All I want is simple and reliable.

Fair enough... but reverting back to my original point what you're describing isn't automation.

OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough... but reverting back to my original point what you're describing isn't automation.

Not sure what your wanting to automate? Water changes, dosing, top offs, alternating powerheads, automatic feeders, etc. It could be setup to do any of that and a lot more.

Screenshot_20190916-160609.png Screenshot_20190916-160619.png

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

That's easy enough to test, either unplug the plug and plug it back in or flick your breaker off than back on - see behavior.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Great to see these controllers flooding the market - give people choice, let them decide on what they need and who gets their hard earned $$$

OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see these controllers flooding the market - give people choice, let them decide on what they need and who gets their hard earned $$$

I have to say after owning most of the high end brands that I've been left a little disappointed. I currently have two mp40's and a Gen 4 Radion XR30W sent in to Ecotech and waiting to hear back how much more I owe them to fix what they sold me as high end gear. I've replaced them with Kessils and a maxspect gyre for now.

After setting up an older Apex and then a newer Apex and finally switching over to a GHL Profilux 4 it all just left me with wanting something plug and play without all of the headaches and let downs. This is how I ended up back to the old motto of "Keep It Simple".

Long story short, Instead of chasing the next best high end aquarium gear I can finally do what I set out to and that's spend my time enjoying the fish and corals.

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you’re feeling DYI the 3.x release of the Reef-pi Controller software supports these power strips, including tracking power usage. The code is designed to work over the local network so as long as your local WiFi is alive it can interface with the power strip. And sometime soon it’ll support a data feed from that Seneye.

OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you’re feeling DYI the 3.x release of the Reef-pi Controller software supports these power strips, including tracking power usage. The code is designed to work over the local network so as long as your local WiFi is alive it can interface with the power strip. And sometime soon it’ll support a data feed from that Seneye.

Thanks, I'm going to check it out now. Any links to get me started?

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run my BRS dosing pumps with these Smart Plugs. Couldn't be easier.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you control a heater? Calcium reactor co2 solenoid based on ph readings in the reactor? Speed controlled pumps? Kessil brightness, color temp? Will it email you if the temp is too high/low? Float switch in sump to trigger an alarm for overflow condition? Lights off when overheating? ATO?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back