OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schedules and timers are local to the device, so if your internet goes out it won't impact existing settings on the device. In addition to the cloud functionality, they also have a local protocol that works if the cloud service is unavailable but your local WiFi is still functioning. The gotcha is that they just store state change events in the schedule, so it knows to turn off the socket at 8pm, and turn it on at 8am, but doesn't understand that it should be off between 8pm and 8am, so if your power is out when a timer or schedule should do something, that something won't happen, and the switch will come back up in the state it was when the power was lost.

What happens if you have a doser come on for 5 minutes and the power goes out. When the power comes back on does the doser keep running nonstop? This is very important to know because if it does I won't be hooking up dosers this way.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if you have a doser come on for 5 minutes and the power goes out. When the power comes back on does the doser keep running nonstop? This is very important to know because if it does I won't be hooking up dosers this way.

Thank you for that explanation @PRock. Imagine the Power bar running in a sequential timeline.
When the power goes off, events are missed on the timeline. When the power comes back on, the timeline continues without accounting for any missed events. It also does not know if each outlet is on or off. If the doser was set to trigger OFF while the power was out, then it will continue in an inverted state.

This could mean dosing the tank for 23+ hrs until the outlet is reset.

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, when the power comes back on, it'll come back to its previous state with the socket the pump is plugged into turned on.

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that explanation @PRock. Imagine the Power bar running in a sequential timeline.
When the power goes off, events are missed on the timeline. When the power comes back on, the timeline continues without accounting for any missed events. It also does not know if each outlet is on or off. If the doser was set to trigger OFF while the power was out, then it will continue in an inverted state.

This could mean dosing the tank for 23+ hrs until the outlet is reset.

Well, it does know the state of the outlet, so if an outlet is off when power goes out, it'll come back in the off state.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it does know the state of the outlet, so if an outlet is off when power goes out, it'll come back in the off state.
Interesting thanks for clarifying that. Is this true even when the local wifi is offline? Or does everything default to OFF until the wifi is up?
have a local protocol that works if the cloud service is unavailable but your local WiFi is still functioning
If all your power goes out, it seems like you also need a battery backup on your router for the outlets to come online.

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thanks for clarifying that. Is this true even when the local wifi is offline? Or does everything default to OFF until the wifi is up?

If all your power goes out, it seems like you also need a battery backup on your router for the outlets to come online.

State is all stored locally on the power strip, so if you had sockets 1 2 and 6 off when your power went out, when it comes back it will keep sockets 1, 2 and 6 off, and turn on sockets 3, 4 and 5. It does this before even looking for WiFi connectivity. There are also physical buttons for each socket that you can press to change power state, so even with no WiFi you can control things manually. I actually use them all the time because it's soo much easer when I have my head in my cabinet to press a button than it is to pull out my phone, open the app, and press a button there.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost bought the Kasa powerstrip myself. If Neptune doesn’t integrate with more of the big dogs in the reefing world (or vice versa), these are the future for budget minded folks. Not being able to scale up or down pumps or lights is not a big deal.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you control a heater? Calcium reactor co2 solenoid based on ph readings in the reactor? Speed controlled pumps? Kessil brightness, color temp? Will it email you if the temp is too high/low? Float switch in sump to trigger an alarm for overflow condition? Lights off when overheating? ATO?
Just buy a temp controller. A remote camera (Wyze Cam) runs at $40 and can give you a visual of the tank when you’re at the beach. The rest are inflated goodies - which I bought, lol. Just saying... wave pump modulation (aside from a random mode) or kessil dimming will not alter the health of your livestock. My 2 cents. But if you have the cash, go big.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say after owning most of the high end brands that I've been left a little disappointed. I currently have two mp40's and a Gen 4 Radion XR30W sent in to Ecotech and waiting to hear back how much more I owe them to fix what they sold me as high end gear. I've replaced them with Kessils and a maxspect gyre for now.

After setting up an older Apex and then a newer Apex and finally switching over to a GHL Profilux 4 it all just left me with wanting something plug and play without all of the headaches and let downs. This is how I ended up back to the old motto of "Keep It Simple".

Long story short, Instead of chasing the next best high end aquarium gear I can finally do what I set out to and that's spend my time enjoying the fish and corals.
In the end, most if not all the so called high end stuff I'd still made on the cheap overseas.
Your basicly paying for a warranty those high dollars have for what use to be included with reliable products. They break down just as much as the cheap stuff. The difference is the cheap stuff is thrown away.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After trying out a neptune apex and then going to a ghl profilux 4 I am finally happy with my setup. The best thing is it is all voice controlled now with the rest of my house using Alexa. Light schedules, Heaters, Powerheads, Skimmer, Return Pump are all controlled using a simple app and one Wifi Power Strip. I can even monitor the power usage on each individual plug so I will know if something is starting to have problems and catch it ahead of time. Will never go back to the mess of wires I had before this setup. Clean and simple and can be controlled when away from home.

And if this still looks like alot of wires. This is my wires to the heater controller, 3 kessil lights, 4 t5 lights, gyre xf350 powerheads, Seneye, Ecotech Return Pump, and Skimmer. :)

20190915_145244.jpg 20190915_150616.jpg

NOt an endorsement of this product - but - the simpler the better. Modules, etc etc etc etc - have always caused disaster in my tanks

naoki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that KASA removed local network only operation earlier this year? In other words, they do require internet, right? Does anyone know if Home Assistance etc. can still control KASA switches with the new firmware without going through internet?

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that KASA removed local network only operation earlier this year? In other words, they do require internet, right? Does anyone know if Home Assistance etc. can still control KASA switches with the new firmware without going through internet?

I just upgraded to firmware 1.0.6 on my HS300 about 20 minutes ago to test this, and I can talk to it locally just fine. Both via my app and via custom code that I've written.

The1HunnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to thank you for posting. I bought the Kaza strip and while my 75 gallon tank isn’t fully automated, the elation I get from saying “turn off circulation” or “protein skimmer” (when dosing phytoplankton) is so much easier that it feels effortless by comparison. I also love that I can turn off my skimmer, return, and Powerheads with one command (for water changes and cleaning etc.). While my lights and heater stay on of course. This is WELL worth the price—especially for those who can’t afford a Neptune/Apex system (yet).

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this up and running for a week now and so far it's been absolutely perfect. Set up voice control with each outlet via Alexa was dead simple. Also integrates seamlessly into the SmartThings system allowing more options. Since all my electrical gear is in a separate cabinet (not in sump cabinet) this allows me to use voice commands when I have my hands full in the sump area.

Conveniently there was an hour long power outage last week and all outlets defaulted to their last state... super cool!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After trying out a neptune apex and then going to a ghl profilux 4 I am finally happy with my setup. The best thing is it is all voice controlled now with the rest of my house using Alexa. Light schedules, Heaters, Powerheads, Skimmer, Return Pump are all controlled using a simple app and one Wifi Power Strip. I can even monitor the power usage on each individual plug so I will know if something is starting to have problems and catch it ahead of time. Will never go back to the mess of wires I had before this setup. Clean and simple and can be controlled when away from home.

And if this still looks like alot of wires. This is my wires to the heater controller, 3 kessil lights, 4 t5 lights, gyre xf350 powerheads, Seneye, Ecotech Return Pump, and Skimmer. :)

20190915_145244.jpg 20190915_150616.jpg

Your post is almost a year old. How has this been working for you?

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting one based on this thread last year. I used the first one on my nano for dosing, the wavmaker and return pump. It is still working great.
I got another one this year for my 60 cube that I set up.
No regrets here.

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IFTT can automate whatever you choose to automate. The possibilities are endless. Not without work of course, but technically there is nothing that can’t be done for any device that is accessible and listens.
This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.........But I've only ever done REALLY simple IFTTT. For example - how would I get a temp probe to "talk" to an inkbird controller? I like that I can turn things off if something happens, but more automation would be better. I'm not super interested in an apex, I'm starting to mess with reefpi, but if this can all be done with IFTTT, I'd rather go down that route.
IFTT can automate whatever you choose to automate. The possibilities are endless. Not without work of course, but technically there is nothing that can’t be done for any device that is accessible and listens.

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.........But I've only ever done REALLY simple IFTTT. For example - how would I get a temp probe to "talk" to an inkbird controller? I like that I can turn things off if something happens, but more automation would be better. I'm not super interested in an apex, I'm starting to mess with reefpi, but if this can all be done with IFTTT, I'd rather go down that route.

I do not have an inkbird, but this is most likely not possible with an inkbird controller. The concept of using a kasa strip alone is for the on/off functions and IFTTT for routines for lets say "alexa water change tank". then IFTTT would turn off pumps and heaters. In kasa only solution would require an inkbird to function as a heater controller to backup the heaters integrated controller.

The only way for the reef pi to talk with control the inkbird if the inkbird has an input/output. My understanding with the reef pi is you would add independent hardware to the pi via a diy breadboard or prebuilt board and its own probe.

Edit: If you are talking about how does the inkbird probe talk to the inkbird, you just plug the probe into the slot on the device, set the temp range and it should work. The inkbird is a standalone controller that should handle itself with no coding required.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back