OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you control a heater? Calcium reactor co2 solenoid based on ph readings in the reactor? Speed controlled pumps? Kessil brightness, color temp? Will it email you if the temp is too high/low? Float switch in sump to trigger an alarm for overflow condition? Lights off when overheating? ATO?

All of these manufacturers make their own controllers. My finnex heaters are controlled by a finnex controller. My maxspect gyres are controlled by their gyre controller. My kessil lights are controlled by a spectral controller. My ecotech return pump is controlled by a reef link. My temp is monitored by a Seneye that can send push notifications. My topoff is a 7 gallon container above the sump. I have a wifi sensor that will send me a push notification if it senses water in the floor.

I have two heaters if my tank overheats I will get a push notification and I can look at the power draw and see which is malfunctioning and turn it off.

And now I can control my tank when I am away from home if an emergency arises.

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also looking on how to automate my tank .
But look like the option are few and more for those with tech knowledge.
Apex or GHL all need us to program in order to do what we want it to do.

I know nothing about programming. So if there is any app control controller
that can on/off pump and wavemakers base on time of the day will be good.
Same for 3 parts and supplement dosing. But here the amount dose need some
control.
If these amount can be adjust in the app of the switch will be great.
If the switch can measure important parameter like PH, KH ,PO4 and NO3 will be great
Last but not least power to each pump, wavemakers, skimmer, calcium reactor and dosers
if trip a notification by email or messager be send to the user.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically correct, but since IFTTT is free, the capability is there for the price point without turning it on. It is like owning a controller without programming it.
IFTT can automate whatever you choose to automate. The possibilities are endless. Not without work of course, but technically there is nothing that can’t be done for any device that is accessible and listens.

OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple brs dosers are the easiest and most fail safe dosers I have used. You can program them using this power strip to come on for a certain amount of time each day to dose the amount you need. Unlike all other automatic dosers that have a constant power supply and can fail and flood your tank.

OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is such outlets will be great
Yes, you can set as many on/off timers as you want for each outlet. Also by individual days if you want.

Screenshot_20190915-172633.png Screenshot_20190915-172858.png

OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is IFTTT?

https://ifttt.com/

It's basically coding that tells something if this happens then to trigger something else. Like if your water topoff overflows and your flood sensor goes off then it will shutoff your rodi unit. Or If your tank overheats it will turn on a fan or shutoff your lights.

Using a power strip like this and ifttt you can basically program your tank to do whatever you need.

Last edited:

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://ifttt.com/

It's basically coding that tells something if this happens then to trigger something else. Like if your water topoff overflows and your flood sensor goes off then it will shutoff your rodi unit. Or If your tank overheats it will turn on a fan or shutoff your lights.

Using a power strip like this and ifttt you can basically program your tank to do whatever you need.
Sound great.
Beside the IFTTT app what we need to start to automate our reef tank system?
Has anyone start this action and then share it here so that every reefers interested can ask, share and improve this
interesting action

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ifttt = if this than that. Its basically a programming interface.

As for the kasa bars, they work great. I have been using them for a year or so on my FW tanks. After a power failure, they revert to the programmed settings. Not sure on wifi outages since I havent had it happen during a state change. They are alexa compatible and have a phone app. You could use ifttt to create alexa commands such as "feed mode frag tank" or "water change reef" to turn off pumps, heaters, etc.

The only thing that is a pain is when you are using multiple around the house is the list getting longer in the app. I now list my ports by tank first than name to sort the list, so Angel return 1, angel light one, frag left ai prime, frag ...

Additionally, these go on sale a few times a year for $50-55. The sales are normally a limit of 1, but you can create a new account or best buy, Amazon, and a few other sites go on sale at the same time.

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ifttt = if this than that. Its basically a programming interface.

As for the kasa bars, they work great. I have been using them for a year or so on my FW tanks. After a power failure, they revert to the programmed settings. Not sure on wifi outages since I havent had it happen during a state change. They are alexa compatible and have a phone app. You could use ifttt to create alexa commands such as "feed mode frag tank" or "water change reef" to turn off pumps, heaters, etc.

The only thing that is a pain is when you are using multiple around the house is the list getting longer in the app. I now list my ports by tank first than name to sort the list, so Angel return 1, angel light one, frag left ai prime, frag ...

Additionally, these go on sale a few times a year for $50-55. The sales are normally a limit of 1, but you can create a new account or best buy, Amazon, and a few other sites go on sale at the same time.
The $50-55 sale is for the kasa bar or what?
The kasa bar each socket outlet can be individually control or is the control only for the whole bar(Meaning all socket outlets on the bar ) run only 1 set of timing

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the sale is for the 6 plug bar. All plugs can be individually controlled and programmed. I have not found a way to automatically duplicate programming, so you cannot copy programming from light 1 to light too. I do not believe there is a way to program the usb ports. They usually have a mass tp link sale at these times so the individual plugs go on sale along with switches and other stuff. I have my ro booster pump into an individual smart plug and a switch is used to keep the cable mess down for my entertainment center. I have been using to link products for over 7ish years now and have been very pleased with their reliability and longevity.

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have attached my light schedule for one of my planted tanks. Additionally the tp link software allow timers. I use this for the booster pump. I know how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket for my ro, so I set a timer for the booster pump to shut off 1 minute before.

Screenshot_20190917-004819_Kasa.jpg Screenshot_20190917-004808_Kasa.jpg

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are shots of my interface. You can click on any plug to program, set timers, rename, or view energy use.

Screenshot_20190917-005443_Kasa.jpg Screenshot_20190917-005726_Kasa.jpg Screenshot_20190917-005450_Kasa.jpg Screenshot_20190917-005733_Kasa.jpg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. I am using this powerstrip for sometime now and so happy with it that I am planning to make it standard recommendation for reef-pi 3.0 release. It cheap, robust (surge protector), feature rich (wifi, mobile apps, current monitoring, times, schedules ).
Now that said, make no mistake that this is not a controller, neither it matches any of the power ratings of most known reef related powerstrips. The entire strip is rated for 15A total. So, I'd be very cautious about what equipment is hooked up. In terms of replacing controller, I doubt this by itself solves the problem. Most controller will monitor something first (temperature, ph, water level etc) and then control something based on that. Here theres no monitoring feature, hence there is not possibility of automated control per say.
Still I'm pretty happy with it, as it suites the need for my pico tank, the sensor and other bits are done on reef-pi and it integrates directly with powerstrip. Added benefit, i can also control them from the app, and if needed can be mechanically overridden by those individual switches (handy for my wife who is not super accustomed to the controller UI).

I just started a build thread for the new 10G pico tank which incorporates this powerstrip https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/10g-budget-nano-reef-pi-open-design.648179/
267A3B62-1074-4F40-AE9C-A9385C06CA9A.jpeg

Full setup. With temperature, ato, kessil control.
CF489998-837F-4325-B15F-2C108E9A8D20.jpeg

Back