Just bought 65 gallon used tank

gidelgadojr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a 65 gallon tank that was running for a year, but the owner got a bigger one and gave me this with everything included, but lights and stand. I build my own stand replaced the piping because it needed a touch up. I filled it with freshwater everything runs smoothly. I’m putting in the 36-48 IC Loop Pro Dual LED Marine Complete System for lighting. I know I need an ATO and I believe I am ready to cycle the tank. Any advice would be appreciated.

7691E490-237D-4649-A800-1C9D1C8F58A7.png

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on what to use in sump, I’ve heard live rock, chaeto and carbon
There’s lots of different kinds of filtration. In my sump, I have a skimmer with a co2 scrubber, live rock, and a carbon/gfo reactor. Lots of people use chaeto, but I’ve never tried it.

OP
OP
gidelgadojr

gidelgadojr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is up and cycling, having an issue with one of the wave pumps in the Current USA Marine Loop System, but working on it. I think the other two wave pumps will suffice for now.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    17.9 MB

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the dimensions on that tank. I have a 60g cube and would trade it in a heartbeat for that tank.
Looking like a good start, enjoy the process!

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, but with a longer tank like you have I would consider trying to do 2 separate structures on either side with sand between. If you go for a bit of height on one, and keep the other lower it might have a nice look that accentuates the dimensions of the tank.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add more rock if you're able to. I did like Rjukan said in my 65 gallon and have two tall rock structures with a middle shelf connecting them

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is nice to have. You get any soaps or oils in the tank and a skimmer will clean it right out. It also removes large bio molecules. Not essential but good to have.

Filter socks are good at removing particulates from the water and making the water clearer. They do need frequent cleaning... once or twice per week.

An RODI system is great to have. They pay for themselves pretty quickly. No going out to buy and tote water home. You control the quality and can make it at any time. Plus, you mix up your own saltwater.

OP
OP
gidelgadojr

gidelgadojr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is nice to have. You get any soaps or oils in the tank and a skimmer will clean it right out. It also removes large bio molecules. Not essential but good to have.

Filter socks are good at removing particulates from the water and making the water clearer. They do need frequent cleaning... once or twice per week.

An RODI system is great to have. They pay for themselves pretty quickly. No going out to buy and tote water home. You control the quality and can make it at any time. Plus, you mix up your own saltwater.
I have a reef octopus Skimmer in my sump, will look into the RODI and Filter sock when I am done cycling

OP
OP
gidelgadojr

gidelgadojr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, but with a longer tank like you have I would consider trying to do 2 separate structures on either side with sand between. If you go for a bit of height on one, and keep the other lower it might have a nice look that accentuates the dimensions of the tank.
That is a great idea, unfortunately my LFS has run out of live rock so I took all they had left. But I will go back soon for more to try to do this. Thanks!

OP
OP
gidelgadojr

gidelgadojr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on how to do two taller structures, I am new when it comes to this longer tank. Previously, I have not had to go do high.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used hydraulic cement to do my structure. Other options are e-marco 400, super glue and accelerant, epoxy, drilling holes and using fiberglass rods, drilling holes and using zip ties. I'm sure there are other options as well.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if you would really need more rock, maybe take the largest piece and have it stand alone, then use the rest in a solid stack on the other side?

I used a drill and 1/2" PVC pipe to stack my rock, but since I have a cube I needed to go higher than normal. You might be able to get away with stacking them without pegs, but the reef safe epoxy could be a good option to secure them.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on how to do two taller structures, I am new when it comes to this longer tank. Previously, I have not had to go do high.
First, nice work thus far. Impressive.

As for this question, my tank looks to be about the same dimensions. I have old-school natural reef rock and basically built two mounds with a valley in the middle (see pics). If I was starting today, I’d probably start completely dry and sculpt something more creative, but I got mine to about 50-60% of the way to the top with some thoughtful stacking.

0F09137B-495F-4F49-AA5B-5E4042B2A2C8.jpeg 800653D1-E82B-4D89-B76C-7E69249A29E4.jpeg

OP
OP
gidelgadojr

gidelgadojr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, nice work thus far. Impressive.

As for this question, my tank looks to be about the same dimensions. I have old-school natural reef rock and basically built two mounds with a valley in the middle (see pics). If I was starting today, I’d probably start completely dry and sculpt something more creative, but I got mine to about 50-60% of the way to the top with some thoughtful stacking.

0F09137B-495F-4F49-AA5B-5E4042B2A2C8.jpeg 800653D1-E82B-4D89-B76C-7E69249A29E4.jpeg
This looks awesome, did you use glue at all or just stacked carefully?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back