Just bought a 150 gallon aquarium trying to set it up for reef tank need help

Gizmo3117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I'm glad to watch some YouTube videos to lead me here. I have questions on set up and everything. I'll tell you what I have purchased so far and what I need help with.
Tank is 150 gallons 6 foot long with overflow plumbing in back left corner of the tank.

Purchased so far
180 gallon protein skimmer
Jebao 150 cross flow pump
Sump return pump 880 gph
Rodi water filtration

I have alot of dry rock that I currently have cycling in my 75 gallon saltwater tank to help speed my cycling process
I have a fluval sea marine 3.0 25k 59w light bar I was considering using for this 150 gallon.

Sump I am considering is a pro clear red flex 4 in 1 sump tank. I also bought a small LED light for my refugium in the sump. I plan to do algebarn start kit for that.

My biggest questions are lighting, water flow if I need more, I don't think my one light bar would be enough so I'm considering purchasing 2 fluval sea nanos to also add so I can run all 3 off the same app and program the same light specs.
I'm also considering going bare glass bottom vs sand since in my refugium I would have what I need in there to good bacteria. Any advice would be appreciated. Lighting is my biggest fear of wanting to get it right from the start so I can have an awesome reef tank

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you specify what you’re looking to get out of this tank coral wise? Is it going to be softy or sps or mix?

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare or sand bottom is a personal preference, unless you want to house some fish species that needs sand. I personally prefer sand bottom.
Lighting is the most difficult/expensive choice to make, what are tou planing to keep?

OP
OP
Gizmo3117

Gizmo3117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like pictures lots of pictures!
Don't have pics yet, currently cleaning the tank since I bought used, that's why I'm looking for best lighting set ups since I'm at a clean slate stage

OP
OP
Gizmo3117

Gizmo3117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare or sand bottom is a personal preference, unless you want to house some fish species that needs sand. I personally prefer sand bottom.
Lighting is the most difficult/expensive choice to make, what are tou planing to keep?
Sps and anemones then reef fish, not really looking for fish that need sand. I have sand in my 75 gallon for all those fish

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have pics yet, currently cleaning the tank since I bought used, that's why I'm looking for best lighting set ups since I'm at a clean slate stage
If you follow the proper cycling procedures you won't need lighting for at least a month or two so you have some time to do your lighting research

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would place Gyre in center and 800gph powerheads on each end fpr max crossflow.
Lights: Many choices: 3-4 kessils A360, 2 Kessil AP 700, 3-4 Ai Hydra 26 or 52 OR 4-6 dimmable Chinese lights if youre on a budget

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don’t think the fluval lights aren’t powerful enough for SPS. I have AI prime and they’ve been working wonderful so far. And you’re going to need a good amount of flow for a sps tank. I would recommend some echo tech mp40 or mp60 sps love very high flow. something else to remember is anemones move and split and multiply. If they park themselves on one of your sps they can kill it pretty fast.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back