Just bought a used waterbox marine 40.2

Spontagious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was looking on getting some info on replacing the return nozzle and the return pipe(not sure if that’s the correct term) I was wondering where I can buy the replacement pieces or if I have to purchase it at Home Depot what size the replacement pipe is. Also would it be smart to buy a new return pump or can I keep this one if I clean the tank with citric acid and have the pump running for 2-3 days.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was looking on getting some info on replacing the return nozzle and the return pipe(not sure if that’s the correct term) I was wondering where I can buy the replacement pieces or if I have to purchase it at Home Depot what size the replacement pipe is. Also would it be smart to buy a new return pump or can I keep this one if I clean the tank with citric acid and have the pump running for 2-3 days.

Post a pic and I can help you out. I’d keep the return pump and clean it. Citric acid works well. If heavy build up of calcium carbonate you can use muriatic acid. It will make very quick work of the deposits. Of course using the proper PPE because it’s dangerous if inhaled, splashes in your eye, on your skin, etc.

Most returns are 1/2”, 3/4”, or 1”

Drains are usually 3/4”, 1”, 1.25”, 1.5”

My current returns are 1” and I have 1.5” drains. 3/4” is more common for returns though. The bigger 1” is better for me because they won’t clog as easy.

All of the pipe and cement can be bought at Lowe’s or Home Depot. I prefer Lowe’s as they cater more to the DIY guy and HD to the construction workers. Make sure to buy clear cement/primer. The other purple stuff looks ridiculous later on.

The other item you may be talking about is called loc-line. It’s typically put on the end of a return line so that it can be pointed into different directions. It’s flexible.

Search Bulk Reef Supply under the plumbing sections and it’s all listed there as well.

OP
OP
S

Spontagious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic and I can help you out. I’d keep the return pump and clean it. Citric acid works well. If heavy build up of calcium carbonate you can use muriatic acid. It will make very quick work of the deposits. Of course using the proper PPE because it’s dangerous if inhaled, splashes in your eye, on your skin, etc.

Most returns are 1/2”, 3/4”, or 1”

Drains are usually 3/4”, 1”, 1.25”, 1.5”

My current returns are 1” and I have 1.5” drains. 3/4” is more common for returns though. The bigger 1” is better for me because they won’t clog as easy.

All of the pipe and cement can be bought at Lowe’s or Home Depot. I prefer Lowe’s as they cater more to the DIY guy and HD to the construction workers. Make sure to buy clear cement/primer. The other purple stuff looks ridiculous later on.

The other item you may be talking about is called loc-line. It’s typically put on the end of a return line so that it can be pointed into different directions. It’s flexible.

Search Bulk Reef Supply under the plumbing sections and it’s all listed there as well.
Thanks for the detailed information. When you say returns are usually 1/2” 3/4” is that the pipe or pump you’re talking about? I will take a picture of all the parts I want to replace and I’ll also check out the BRS plumbing section. Thanks for your help!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed information. When you say returns are usually 1/2” 3/4” is that the pipe or pump you’re talking about? I will take a picture of all the parts I want to replace and I’ll also check out the BRS plumbing section. Thanks for your help!

That would be the pipe. People will refer to the pump as “return pump.”

Pipe the will just say “returns.”

Yes, sounds good. Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back