Just Curious--Have "Live Sales" Hit Their Limit?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 2 cents....
I used to do the coral vault FB live sale they where really live. even tho i have been reefing since the early 2000s i live in a area where there is not many of any LFS so it was nice just to see corals.

as a LPS and softie guy most live sales dont target me.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do enjoy a good live sale. It's exciting!! I just don't have the money or the tank right now, haha. Looking forward to participating again once I can. Now, I do agree with some of the comments in that we really should be getting more than just the photos under blues. They should include a second shot under daylights. One of the most fun ones I went to had video of the corals...but I realize most vendors don't have time to do that, especially during the larger sales.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve bought during the live sales. But what is disappointing is the time drop times. I really prefer just waiting for the end of the day and then checking the sales.
The 5$ Frags are probably my favorite part but I’ve seen 5$ frags just sit there unsold.
It feels like these live sales are just every happening monthly for every new batch of coral frags that are ready. Honestly there’s nothing really live about the sales. If they did a video showing off corals and answering questions I can see why the live format matters.
I do like how some shops are in chat and willing to add an extra discount to items.I think the sales should be type specific. Like Goni at this hour, hammers at this hour, acro at this hour etc
So the drops are more interest focused! OR make the games and prizes hour specific and the entire inventory already available. It sucks not being able to debate option cause what if you regret your purchase and wanted something that showed up the next drop.
Who has the time to dedicate every hour or half hour to check corals

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty new to the reefing scene after only being here a touch over 1 year and here is my 2 cents.
I have only done one "live sale" and likely won't do them anymore. Here are my pros vs cons:

Pros.
1. Hyped up, fun atmosphere.
2. Potential to get coral you can't find locally.
3. Really good deals occasionally, although some companies put such strict rules on the good stuff it then doesn't become a pro because you have to pay a bunch just to be eligible for that $1 or $5 deal.
4. Ability to rack up a nice package of corals if you're first starting out or have a frag tank you want to fill.

Cons.
1. Every. Single. Weekend. At least that's what it seems like to me. I don't even bother looking at anyone's sales.
2. Over saturated nonsense photos. Thankfully I learned very early on about this. Knowing what to look for is an immediate turn off. You show hot pink plugs in your photos and truly unrealistic and obvious fake coloration? Well, I won't be looking to you sale or not. How can I trust you? There are several vendors on this list...
3. Prices. I sadly missed the good ol days when things were apparently reasonably priced. However, I also know the majority of the major companies charge way more than is reasonable. I compare costs frequently between lfs (I'm fortunate to have over a dozen true saltwater stores, not Petco within 2hrs of me), various online vendors, and the occasional hobbyist. With a few exceptions, the online vendor price is going to meet or surpass even the most overpriced local store. Even during the so called sales. Why bother?
4. Shipping. I'm on a very strict budget. I can't afford to drop $35-50 for 1-3 corals often. Shipping is better for bulk orders, but I don't have a need to buy in bulk so it eliminates this for me, personally.
5. Incredibly time consuming. The one sale I did was fun at first, but it got dumb after about 4hrs. The constant hitting the refresh button and hoping if something cool came up, I could beat everyone else at buying it just got old. It was like 10hrs or something. I scored some good deals on legit colored corals, but wasted an entire Saturday doing so not to mention the aggravation of the wife and kids because I was glued to a phone for an entire day. Not worth it to me and this is likely one of the top reasons I won't do another. The vendor was one of the more honest with photos, less strict rules on super cheap stuff, and actually had cheaper stuff altogether, but sadly they appear to have gone under last year. They were heavy on the lps stuff too which is what I like.

My tank is pretty small and I already have a lot in it. I'm going to be a lot more specific on corals get chosen from here on out. Bulking up on "live sales" just isn't for me right now anyway. After attending my local coral swap last weekend, why would I do another online sale anyway? The hobbyist typically had the really cool stuff at truly unbeatable prices. For example, I bought a 14 polyp HG micromussa for $100. Where else are you going to find that sort of deal?
I think going forward I'll stick to a couple swaps a year and if one of the nearby lfs has something really cool for a reasonable price, I'll buy from there too. Oh and hobbyist too.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never really participated in a Live Sale, that being said it doesn't bother me that some people love it. If I don't want to be involved in a Live Sale I just don't open the thread. If live sales are getting boring and people don't want to participate then the market will reveal it and they will go the way of the dinosaur.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done a live sale and don't plan to, just curious. I've been watching a few recently. It appears to me as I click through the items offered that most don't sell.

With games, check-ins, unrelated banter, it seems that corals are almost an after thought.

Years ago there was the occasional live sale. Obviously, now there's one or more every weekend and some week days.

Have they run their course? Is it over saturation of the number of events? Are the deals no longer there? Are you just tired of it all?

Seriously, just curious. I've got no dog in the fight.
I’ve had bad experiences them and todays just seem like 30 pages of memes and I ain’t got time for that lol.. rather just buy what I want, when I want.. haha…

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had bad experiences them and todays just seem like 30 pages of memes and I ain’t got time for that lol.. rather just buy what I want, when I want.. haha…

I think "most" of the live sales are not those that are filled with games and memes.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, my interest was whether live sales have already hit their natural life span. After viewing a few as they were going on over the last few weekends, it seems that most items are not selling. Sure, the $2 or $5 items sell, but not a lot else. It just seems that for all the effort that goes into the whole production there doesn't appear to be a good return. What may have been a good thing in the past seems to have suffered from over saturation and that over-exposure appears to have revealed all the others items that folks are mentioning.

If live sales are your thing, vendor or consumer, more power to ya!

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3) There are enough local reefers (on this board’s marketplace or my local board) who sell the very same frags, at similar or cheaper prices, and those frags/fish happen to be larger and reach my tank with far less risk of loss because of transport time.
this right here, times a thousand. if you think it is a "good deal" from a vendor, chances are you can find it bigger and cheaper from a local hobbyist

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this right here, times a thousand. if you think it is a "good deal" from a vendor, chances are you can find it bigger and cheaper from a local hobbyist
I need more NC reefers. The quantity has seemed to precipitously drop over the last 3 years.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need more NC reefers. The quantity has seemed to precipitously drop over the last 3 years.
smack dab in the middle of Indiana here...wish I could help out more, we have an annual trip to Hilton Head every summer. the local reefer club here is small, but we all help each other out as much as we can. have made some pretty good friends as well :)

other than the one dude tryna make me pay $ 60 pp for a predator zoa. come on man

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked my chinchilla the same questions and he said
3F034650-2E7B-44AC-B72E-FF5224EAA5D5.jpeg

Nothing really.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a North Carolina reefer!!! Im in the charlotte area. I feel like there’s a huge reef community here.

As far as live sales go, they are not for everyone. However, I really enjoy them.

First and foremost, I get analysis paralysis in a store. I rarely end up buying anything cause I just can’t choose. Live sales give me an opportunity to look at corals independently. Then if I’m disappointed that I missed a coral, I put it on my “to buy” list. Then I have an idea of what to focus on when I go to a lfs or frag swap.

Also I love the community engagement that occurs. That’s what really drew me in so deeply to the hobby. There’s a lot of silliness that goes on, and stupid dad jokes, but that’s how I’ve met many of my Reefing friends. We’re all a tad nerdy and it’s great to tell a really lame joke that a reefer gets and finds hilarious. It’s hard to make friends as an adult, but live sale shenanigans make me feel like I have a community.

I have learned a lot during live sales. When people are asking questions about coral care and their own tanks, you get to hear many opinions at once. And because of the silliness, people seem more inclined to help and less mean spirited or critical. That’s been my experience anyway. So, long live live sales!!!
Live Long And Prosper Star Trek GIF

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Live sales, auctions, social media, websites, local stores, chatGPT (I am sure it’s coming), eBay…..these are all different retail channels. The list is only going to grow as the hobby grows.

Different vendors and different buyers have different preferences. Free economy will dictate what works and what does not. I personally like the old school. Come to my house, check out how the colony looks like and buy only if you love it. You also get to see the parameters in which they live in.

Having said all of those, I do have a grip with some of the vendors (they do monthly live sales) who lie about “cooking the corals for months” and reality is it’s just a chop shop.
Marketing and broad retail channel is good. Lying is not. Keep reefing. It’s the funnest hobby in my opinion.

Sam

Last edited:

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a live sale once and at the end of it I was exhausted. Felt like I wasted my whole day. Nowadays if I want something I just search it out , find it and go back to watching old Bugs Bunny cartoons

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a North Carolina reefer!!! Im in the charlotte area. I feel like there’s a huge reef community here.

As far as live sales go, they are not for everyone. However, I really enjoy them.

First and foremost, I get analysis paralysis in a store. I rarely end up buying anything cause I just can’t choose. Live sales give me an opportunity to look at corals independently. Then if I’m disappointed that I missed a coral, I put it on my “to buy” list. Then I have an idea of what to focus on when I go to a lfs or frag swap.

Also I love the community engagement that occurs. That’s what really drew me in so deeply to the hobby. There’s a lot of silliness that goes on, and stupid dad jokes, but that’s how I’ve met many of my Reefing friends. We’re all a tad nerdy and it’s great to tell a really lame joke that a reefer gets and finds hilarious. It’s hard to make friends as an adult, but live sale shenanigans make me feel like I have a community.

I have learned a lot during live sales. When people are asking questions about coral care and their own tanks, you get to hear many opinions at once. And because of the silliness, people seem more inclined to help and less mean spirited or critical. That’s been my experience anyway. So, long live live sales!!!
Live Long And Prosper Star Trek GIF
If only you were closer to the Triangle! Big drop off here lately

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back