Just curious, how many of you have aiptasia?

Do you have aiptaisa?

• Yes

Votes: 266 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 152 36.4%

• Total voters
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Opihi picker
View Badges
Reaction score
I have peppermint shrimp so no aiptaisa at the moment. Got a coral the other day with an aiptaisa on it. I freshwater rinsed the skeleton and scraped it off before dipping. Assuming it’s gone but I hope to keep them out of my system forever. Peppermints do the job but eat corals and I’m kind of ok with it.

OP
ScottR

ScottR

Opihi picker
View Badges
Reaction score
I noticed I had about three when I came back from out of town over the summer. I grabbed a peppermint shrimp and they were gone in about an hour and I haven’t had a problem since.
Any missing corals? :D

OP
ScottR

ScottR

Opihi picker
View Badges
Reaction score
None. He just hangs out under a ledge and comes out at night to scavenge around the substrate. I think I got lucky. I’ve read some horror stories on here of shrimps murdering softies for their gut contents after feeding reef roids.
I’ve seen them more active at night. Trying to eat closed up zoas. Devouring acans. Picking off dendro tentacles. But eh. Whatever. Better than aiptaisa everywhere. And I feed them daily. It’s not like they’re hungry.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
I’ve seen them more active at night. Trying to eat closed up zoas. Devouring acans. Picking off dendro tentacles. But eh. Whatever. Better than aiptaisa everywhere. And I feed them daily. It’s not like they’re hungry.
I usually feed roids during the day, so maybe that helps. I have seen him absolutely destroy half cubes of frozen food if it sinks around him though. It’s like watching the Tasmanian devil. He get ahold of it, spins it around, and stuff just flies everywhere.

OP
ScottR

ScottR

Opihi picker
View Badges
Reaction score
I usually feed roids during the day, so maybe that helps. I have seen him absolutely destroy half cubes of frozen food if it sinks around him though. It’s like watching the Tasmanian devil. He get ahold of it, spins it around, and stuff just flies everywhere.
They’re too big for reef roids. It’ll just send them into feeding mode. I find even mysis is hard for them. I feed LRS frenzy and they will grab large chunks of the fish pieces. I have a few other types of shrimps. I find they also have trouble grabbing smaller food.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
They’re too big for reef roids. It’ll just send them into feeding mode. I find even mysis is hard for them. I feed LRS frenzy and they will grab large chunks of the fish pieces. I have a few other types of shrimps. I find they also have trouble grabbing smaller food.
Yeah, that feed mode seems to be the problem. They smell it and know it’s in the coral so they go after it. Heck, when that stuff hits the water all my fish go insane too. It’s like reef crack.

OP
ScottR

ScottR

Opihi picker
View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah, that feed mode seems to be the problem. They smell it and know it’s in the coral so they go after it. Heck, when that stuff hits the water all my fish go insane too. It’s like reef crack.
I rarely do the roids these days. Lazy and I’m pretty sure my frozen food feedings are difficult.

OP
ScottR

ScottR

Opihi picker
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm not sure if these are aiptasia or not, but I don't care because I've had them for years & they only populate in this rock weird.

20200103_180753.jpg
Definitely aiptaisa. But amazing that they stay confined to that area.

OP
ScottR

ScottR

Opihi picker
View Badges
Reaction score
No, but I keep a thing of F-Aiptasia in the cabinet in the event that one decides to show up.
Haven’t heard from Frank in awhile. Where did he go!?!? I was supposed to meet him in Hong Kong last year. But got delayed. I have yet to try or even see his product.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Haven’t heard from Frank in awhile. Where did he go!?!? I was supposed to meet him in Hong Kong last year. But got delayed. I have yet to try or even see his product.
Hmmm... you know, I’m not sure. I ordered it directly from his website about 4 months ago or so, & it came really quickly, which was very appreciated. I hope he’s okay.

Is it HARD or EASY for you to keep your corals colorful? (check all that apply)

• SPS Hard

Votes: 369 60.6%
  • SPS Easy

Votes: 153 25.1%
  • LPS Hard

Votes: 100 16.4%
  • LPS Easy

Votes: 404 66.3%
  • Zoas Hard

Votes: 61 10.0%
  • Zoas Easy

Votes: 404 66.3%