Just curious, how many of you have aiptasia?

Do you have aiptaisa?

• Yes

Votes: 318 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 172 35.1%

• Total voters

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
never lol good night/day

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Had some, used Aiptasia-x to the best of my ability and then had lots. Put 2 peppermint shrimp in recently and they’ve started to make a noticeable dent in the population.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have baby aiptasia pop up pretty regularly, but a crew of 3 pepperment shrimp keep them at bay.

They don't bother my lps, but I did once see them murder a small bta. Lesson learned... They will destroy any nem small enough aiptasia or otherwise.
I’ve found that keeping a porcelain crab will keep the peppermints off. As weak as porcelain crabs are, they do just enough to keep off the peppermints.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp did nothing for my Tank.
File fish didn't survive the Flow in my tank.

Used F-Aiptasia to get rid of all the aiptasia I could get too, and bought a Kleins Butterfly to get to the ones I couldn't.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals do your shrimp nibble on?
Acans, dendro and have seen them pick at euphyllia. Acans were the only obvious loss. When they tried to pick at euphyllia, they almost looked scared. Pick and back off.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans, dendro and have seen them pick at euphyllia. Acans were the only obvious loss. When they tried to pick at euphyllia, they almost looked scared. Pick and back off.
I avoid crabs for this reason. I had no clue shrimp could eat coral. Guess I’ll stick with all snails in my cuc lol

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I avoid crabs for this reason. I had no clue shrimp could eat coral. Guess I’ll stick with all snails in my cuc lol
Camel shrimp are supposedly the worst. They’ll devour coral.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not any more. Had two incidents. First time I pulled the entire rock. Second time I caught it early and used Aiptasia X. So far so good.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look similar to the peppermint huh?
Similar. They do have a hump though. This is one of mine.

BA2CA768-7B5F-487E-A36F-607D416A2E5B.jpeg

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
None in my tank . Had one or 2 small ones on a frag that I decided to toss rather than risk an outbreak.

They are unsightly too. When I see a tank with Aiptasia , it’s all I can focus on

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to think that there are two kinds of reefers. Those who have aiptasia and know it; those who have aiptasia and don't know it. I'm sure there are small or new tanks that don't have them, but I think the vast majority of larger or established tanks do. Remove your predators and you'll find out LOL.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tanks.

Main display - yes, however it's under control. They are in the back, places I can't reach, the overflow ect. Yes they do spread and that includes in plain sight. When target feeding I spend an extra 1-5 minutes if that inspecting then eliminating.

Frag tank - almost eliminated. While aiptasia have always been disliked or even hated it's only recently that people really flip out about them. I'd hate to every or worse sell someone a frag with aiptasia so I actually have actively been trying to eliminate them. Once I don't see any for say 6 months then it will be safe to say they are eliminated.

Nano tank - None. Never added any to this tank so there are none.

Secondary display - yes infested. This tank is home to a pair of lightning maroon clowns. They hate it when I clean the glass. I've let it get out of hand. Eventually I'll have to take care of it but I'm not actively adding corals to this system so I just let them be. When I feel like getting my hand attacked I'll wipe some out. Infested with dozens maybe 100+ not 1000s as you see in seriously neglected tanks.

I'll also say in future years when I finally get around to that dream system I probably will eliminate them from my main display, only because breaking down current display will allow me access to all sides of the rock, but over the course of my life I wouldn't be surprised to see it again. It really is controllable as long as you stay on top of it. While the off the shelf products joe's joice, aiptasia x ect are not great they work good enough for the most part imo.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back