Just curious, how many of you have aiptasia?

Do you have aiptaisa?

• Yes

Votes: 266 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 152 36.4%

• Total voters

K7BMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Yes in my Nano.
No in my 110G
Not in my 140G as its cycling.

living_tribunal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I got one off a frag I purchased from a local hobbyist. He told me had aptasia. I qt all frags and never saw one once while the frag was in qt but the second it got into my display boom the first guy popped up.

I just zap them the second they pop, fortunately it’s never turned into an issue but they are real hard to keep away permanently.

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
I have only had one for a few months now. But I don't mind Aptasia. When they get large I think they look kinda nice. Ive been enjoying watching my grow.
I do have one peppermint shrimp in my tank, I think that may be why I never see more growing.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
None. Had a few when I first entered the hobby 10 years ago. I used a combo of dipping the rock in boiling water and eventually Aptasia-X to eliminate them and haven't seen one since. Still use some of the same rock 2 upgrades later.

K7BMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Ok so now I am wondering.

How many have an Aiptasia tank by choice?

World Wide Corals - Quality Aqua-cultured Coral

jasonrusso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In my big tank (225 gallon) I had it bad. I dosed chloroquine phosphate for a velvet outbreak. It really disrupted the ecosystem, but I haven't seen an aiptasia since.

Crimsonphoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
I had one come from my lfs on a zoa plug. Took the zoa off and tossed the plug. A small one popped up and I covered it up with super glue and it seems to have entombed it!

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I tend to think that there are two kinds of reefers. Those who have aiptasia and know it; those who have aiptasia and don't know it. I'm sure there are small or new tanks that don't have them, but I think the vast majority of larger or established tanks do. Remove your predators and you'll find out LOL.
This.
Unless you get very lucky and kill the first one before it can spread you will likely always have it. They can spread via a single cell and take in your overflow, sump, and deep in the crevices of your rock where you will never find them. It’s possible to keep them under control but I’m with @ca1ore and believe you will never get rid of them.

Backreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
I have had a reef tank for 20 years and I have never gotten any. No flat worms, no majanos , no nothing serious. I do have vermited snails and colonial hydroids.
I caught MEN but intercepted them .
I had a wild worm one time but my 6line was on him like a pit bull .
I had a Nudibranchs ( coral eating) but he scraped off 12-15 years ago .
im lucky

How often do you have to empty your skimmer collection cup?

• Every day

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • 1-2 Days

Votes: 48 7.1%
  • 3-4 Days

Votes: 155 22.9%
  • 5-6 Days

Votes: 89 13.1%
  • A Week

Votes: 255 37.7%
  • More than a week

Votes: 114 16.8%