Just curious, how many of you have aiptasia?

Do you have aiptaisa?

• Yes

Votes: 318 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 172 35.1%

• Total voters

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no vote too many tanks but yes and no, manjo's too ,have a well trained file ,either bring to him or flip him tank to tank for years now

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have peppermint shrimp so no aiptaisa at the moment. Got a coral the other day with an aiptaisa on it. I freshwater rinsed the skeleton and scraped it off before dipping. Assuming it’s gone but I hope to keep them out of my system forever. Peppermints do the job but eat corals and I’m kind of ok with it.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed I had about three when I came back from out of town over the summer. I grabbed a peppermint shrimp and they were gone in about an hour and I haven’t had a problem since.
Any missing corals? :D

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None. He just hangs out under a ledge and comes out at night to scavenge around the substrate. I think I got lucky. I’ve read some horror stories on here of shrimps murdering softies for their gut contents after feeding reef roids.
I’ve seen them more active at night. Trying to eat closed up zoas. Devouring acans. Picking off dendro tentacles. But eh. Whatever. Better than aiptaisa everywhere. And I feed them daily. It’s not like they’re hungry.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen them more active at night. Trying to eat closed up zoas. Devouring acans. Picking off dendro tentacles. But eh. Whatever. Better than aiptaisa everywhere. And I feed them daily. It’s not like they’re hungry.
I usually feed roids during the day, so maybe that helps. I have seen him absolutely destroy half cubes of frozen food if it sinks around him though. It’s like watching the Tasmanian devil. He get ahold of it, spins it around, and stuff just flies everywhere.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually feed roids during the day, so maybe that helps. I have seen him absolutely destroy half cubes of frozen food if it sinks around him though. It’s like watching the Tasmanian devil. He get ahold of it, spins it around, and stuff just flies everywhere.
They’re too big for reef roids. It’ll just send them into feeding mode. I find even mysis is hard for them. I feed LRS frenzy and they will grab large chunks of the fish pieces. I have a few other types of shrimps. I find they also have trouble grabbing smaller food.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re too big for reef roids. It’ll just send them into feeding mode. I find even mysis is hard for them. I feed LRS frenzy and they will grab large chunks of the fish pieces. I have a few other types of shrimps. I find they also have trouble grabbing smaller food.
Yeah, that feed mode seems to be the problem. They smell it and know it’s in the coral so they go after it. Heck, when that stuff hits the water all my fish go insane too. It’s like reef crack.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that feed mode seems to be the problem. They smell it and know it’s in the coral so they go after it. Heck, when that stuff hits the water all my fish go insane too. It’s like reef crack.
I rarely do the roids these days. Lazy and I’m pretty sure my frozen food feedings are difficult.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if these are aiptasia or not, but I don't care because I've had them for years & they only populate in this rock weird.

20200103_180753.jpg

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if these are aiptasia or not, but I don't care because I've had them for years & they only populate in this rock weird.

20200103_180753.jpg
Definitely aiptaisa. But amazing that they stay confined to that area.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but I keep a thing of F-Aiptasia in the cabinet in the event that one decides to show up.
Haven’t heard from Frank in awhile. Where did he go!?!? I was supposed to meet him in Hong Kong last year. But got delayed. I have yet to try or even see his product.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t heard from Frank in awhile. Where did he go!?!? I was supposed to meet him in Hong Kong last year. But got delayed. I have yet to try or even see his product.

Hmmm... you know, I’m not sure. I ordered it directly from his website about 4 months ago or so, & it came really quickly, which was very appreciated. I hope he’s okay.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ZERO
Pays to have a kleini butterfly in each tank
Main tank also has a copperband butterfly in it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back