Just curious, how many of you have aiptasia?

Do you have aiptaisa?

• Yes

Votes: 318 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 172 35.1%

• Total voters

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, very few. I did see some in my HOB overflow, I took it off, cleaned it good and I had a few in sump. I have had only a couple in my DT, which I took the rock out and hit it with a blow torch. For my sump I completely drained it, cleaned it well and hopefully I got them all but I did put in 3 peppermint shrimps to keep any more at bay.

tyryfin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a few show up on some live rock and a clam but CB has removed them

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp did not for my Tank.
File fish didn't survive the Flow in my tank.

Used F-Aiptasia to get rid of all the aiptasia I could get too, and bought a Kleins Butterfly to get to the ones I couldn't.
I've heard of the copperband butterfly being a good aptasia eater; how is the Klein for aptasia.
And can they be as finicky as the CBB?

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have baby aiptasia pop up pretty regularly, but a crew of 3 pepperment shrimp keep them at bay.

They don't bother my lps, but I did once see them murder a small bta. Lesson learned... They will destroy any nem small enough aiptasia or otherwise.
I was tempted to buy a few peppermint shrimp, but am worried my Blue Throat Trigger may see them as a snack. Even though, I bought him from my LFS where he was in a DT reef tank with shrimp.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of the copperband butterfly being a good aptasia eater; how is the Klein for aptasia.
And can they be as finicky as the CBB?

The issue I had with CBB, and others can attest to it is that they are hard to get eating food. On the other hand the Klein's Butterfly eats like a champ with whatever i throw in the tank (pellets, frozen). I monitor him as Ive heard, as with many other types of butterflies that they like LPS, ans softies. I haven't seen it go after any in my tank, but I also feed heavy so that might keep him in a food coma.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was tempted to buy a few peppermint shrimp, but am worried my Blue Throat Trigger may see them as a snack. Even though, I bought him from my LFS where he was in a DT reef tank with shrimp.
My lfs sells them 4/$12, so even if they get picked off now and then, it's not too much of a loss. My bicolor dottyback gets a mean streak now and then, usually taking it out on the closest shrimp.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is always yes (like 1 or two)

I feel many people have it and don't realize it, they can be so small and hide in the smallest of hiding spots on livestock introduced to the tank. The good news is that it's super easy to wipe out without chemicals...natural predators will destroy these things. After hitting one with AipstasiaX it released so many babies that 1 pest turned into 400+ in my 300G. This population exploded in one month, bought 10 nudibranch and 3 months later I struggle to find a single aipstasia. The Nudi managed to get into my overflow boxes and sump to eat them all there too. Amazing predators and they look cool too, wish I could keep them long term as pets. :)

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took great effort at first, but I successfully eradicated them for good via a combination of an open aquascape, carefully cleaning new arrivals, UV sterilizer on the return line, Berghia nudis, and old-fashioned removal. It can be done!

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took great effort at first, but I successfully eradicated them for good via a combination of an open aquascape, carefully cleaning new arrivals, UV sterilizer on the return line, Berghia nudis, and old-fashioned removal. It can be done!

Or just throw Bhergias in and wait 3-5 months...they WILL win in the long run.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw 3 aiptasia in my sump that came on some Cheato. I removed the rocks and got rid of them, then I noticed a couple in my 180 gal display on a huge rock with a number of corals encrusted on it. I just left them for a time, then they were 10, then there were 20 and so on. Got some peppermint shrimp and they killed a few small ones around where I put them but didn't make a dent. Finally, the whole tank was infested. I think there were probable a couple hundred. I bought an aiptasia eating file fish and he ate all of them. Once the aptiasia were gone, the file fish decided to eat almost every coral in my tank. I got rid of the file fish and within a couple weeks aiptaisia started showing up again in droves. I finally got rid of everything, drained and shut down the tank for two months. Dried out everything in the sun! Started back up with all dry rock and now if I even see an aptiasia at a LFS I'm gone! Tank has been back up for 1.5 years with no more of them. I'm very careful with what I add now.

MarineMalecki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many others, I used to have aiptasia in a number of places in my DT (300G). I had a CBB and now a different butterfly which keep them in check. I have a single on in my frag tank, but it isn't growing or spreading. Only reason it's still there is because I don't have any fish in that tank

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have aiptasia, and they don't bother me a bit. Still, I kalk paste them all once a month or so too keep them in check

LarLarsLair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have them. And I'm trying to culture some in a separate 10gal so I can keep feeding my berghia :D. Love seeing them out hunting in the wee hours some mornings. If I see one on a frag that I like at a lfs I'll point it out to em and see if they want to make a deal.

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia removed all the aptasia in my tank in about 2 weeks, then the brghia starved. Haven't had aptasia since. I have 2 huge majanos though.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure do and love them.

seriously though, I have a jar just for some, but none in any of my tanks. Started as one from a friends tank before we ordered nudis for it. Feed small bit of reef roids once a week then do a full water change an hour after. Freaks people out at work that they live in a jar lol.

5FFD0C19-D1EF-4127-B291-73904E34295A.jpeg

LarLarsLair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I need to try that

..how do I quote? Added to multiquote..? Then what

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back