Just curious, how many of you have aiptasia?

Do you have aiptaisa?

• Yes

Votes: 318 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 172 35.1%

• Total voters

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have aptasia but tend not to worry much about them as long as they dont bother my coral. When they do though i like berghia nudibranchs to destroy them. The berghia work fantastic but they always seem to miss one or two before they starve. Eventually i end up with aptasia bothering coral again and then getting berghia again.

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if these are aiptasia or not, but I don't care because I've had them for years & they only populate in this rock weird.

20200103_180753.jpg
That is weird. Leave well enough alone I guess.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to think that there are two kinds of reefers. Those who have aiptasia and know it; those who have aiptasia and don't know it. I'm sure there are small or new tanks that don't have them, but I think the vast majority of larger or established tanks do. Remove your predators and you'll find out LOL.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here on this. I know exactly what aiptasia is, and I have not had any in my 3 years established 120g. I don't keep any aiptasia-feeding predators. I used TBS rock, never added any other live rock from another source, and made sure I removed every plug as I added corals over the years. That probably helped.

Now, with that being said, I'm going to go knock on a piece of wood somewhere. . . :D

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the hobby for 14 years and never had a problem. I have gotten either rocks or coals with a few, but I either removed the base around the men’s, injected lime juice or glued a rock over them, and never saw them again.

maybe being proactive ASAP works or maybe I’m just lucky! But I would say I have seen a total of 6 in my hobby life over the years. I am definitely not immune to pests tho! I’ve had them all, just lucky with pest anemones!

OlderManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frank is around and selling F-aiptasia. I infested a tank when I added two clams. The tank has a pair of flame hawkfish which eat peppermint shrimp. I tried Aiptasia-X which irritated the aiptasia so I ended up with a lot of them. I got a bottle of Fank’s and killed nearly 100 in a few hours. There were about 20 more a week later and I got them - some in nw places and a few in hard-to-get to old places. That removed just about all but every couple of weeks I do a careful look after dark with a flashlight - moving the light highlights theirtentacle shadows. Once and a while there is one in the hard to get to spot But none anywhere else.

I had a couple in another tank that turned into dozens, spurred on by aiptasia-x. Got a peppermint shrimp from the LFS - my guy said that particular shrimp ravenous ate aiptasia and didn’t bother coral. All the aiptasia were gone in 2 days. The shrimp has been a model citizen for more than a year and has never bothered a zoa or acan and the tank has many colonies of them. It eats frozen food ravenously. I suspect that it is always very hungry since on feeding days it eats as much as I give. It, even when those are large chunks. I am often gone for business 3 or 4 days at a time and the shrimp has never eaten corals. There have been a couple of snail deaths that were suspicious though. The shrimp is worth many times it’s weight in gold. I would like to able to move it to the hawkfish tank but I know from experience that it wouldn’t last one minute. I have added 12 large turbo snails at one time and they are dead in a minute, then the hawks go back to pull out the carcasses and eat them. The shells are empty the next morning.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah this poll is crazy to me. I QT all my coral for 76 days, inspect and dip frequently throughout the QT as well. Started with dry rock in the tank. No way I’d be ok with aptasia in my tank!

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano gets 1-2 a month. Obvs there’s more where I can’t see them — they’re coming from somewhere. If they pop up on the sandbed I just scoop them out with a spoon. The ones on the rock get a nice smothering of super glue.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano gets 1-2 a month. Obvs there’s more where I can’t see them — they’re coming from somewhere. If they pop up on the sandbed I just scoop them out with a spoon. The ones on the rock get a nice smothering of super glue.
Does that work? I have had a lot.of success with the aiptasiaX

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a little personal like asking someone if they have herpes. Lol. Sorry had to. But yes I do.. aptasia not herpes. I've pretty much eradicated them. But every once in a while one pops up out of nowhere. And if you dont treat it right away it just spreads. So it's not really about the cure, its about maintaining and preventing spread. (Still talking about aptasia.)

Frank's f aptaisa has really been the only method to kill without allowing the release of spores. When I had them all it was a battle. It started with a couple that I allowed to get too big, I used aptasia x, killed the big ones but 20 small ones showed up a few days later. Killed them and them there were 50. It got bad quick. Only way o got rid of them was that I got lucky with a copperband butterfly. took it about 3 months but it did wipe them out. I dont take any chances now. If I see one the world stops and I get it before it gets me. lol.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t had any for years, but have had it a few times. One time, believe it or not, a potters angel cleaned them up. Another time a few attempts at peppermint shrimps did the deed. Once there was only 2 do I glued them shut. That was the last i’v seen of em.
Went to a reefers house once who had messed up in need of tlc tanks all over his house. He had no idea one of his tanks was not anemones of a good kind. Had the biggest mass of aptasia ever seen. Some 6” across plus tentacles

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had plague levels in 2 tanks. I was never a zoa guy, and that’s where the trouble started. Both tanks are clear now using two different methods.

In my 90 I bought Burghia Nudibranch. They were very efficient. Hardly ever saw them.

In my 20 gallon softy nano I bought a Filefish. Effective and fun to watch to this day. It’s a great fish.

eaglalbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few Aptasia have popped up. My course of action is to wait and see. When I see more and more, I then send in the Burghia. I would say this is a two to three year event. Its about control. I dont think you can ever be rid of them with any meathod of removal

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back