Just curious: is SC Aquariums out of business?

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking at tanks with 24x24” and 36x36” footprints and seen a few old builds with the SC 50 G (24x24x20, basically a shallower 60 cube) and the SC 135G (36x36x24, basically a 93 square on steroids). Since other companies aren’t advertising those dimensions as standard models, I figured it was worth checking out SC.

I decided to check out the webpage for SC and noticed some stuff I found, for lack of a better word, odd. If you click on the contact us page, the form is broken. Then, like many other websites, the SC aquariums page has the graphic that allows you to click on icons for mainstream social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest). None of the icons have working links- and on top of that, I couldn’t even find an Instagram account for the company with a separate search effort. Lastly, after going on Facebook and tracking down their page, they have not posted since 2015 on Facebook, and not since 2018 on Twitter.

So is SC even still around? As an avid fan of these forums I’ve done my fair share of looking at older build threads, many of which discuss the build thread owner’s experiences chatting with a bunch of custom tank makers before finally selecting one. I would assume that there are other hobbyists like me, and if my suspicions are correct, I would imagine it would be prudent to make others aware of SC being defunct so they don’t waste their time trying to track down SC, or worse, purchase a tank from a website that’s not even active anymore.

I have spoken with @Joe Glass Cages a lot, as well as Derek at Miracle Aquariums, and I’ve been impressed by their willingness to work with a customer’s weird requests, so this is not so much a “I’m seeking a tank from this manufacturer” as it is a curiousity.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say go with @Joe Glass Cages he has amazing tanks built and I know that he is a Cronie work horse. Shout out Joe gonna be in touch at some point. As for sc I am not quite sure. Maybe somebody else will know

OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say go with @Joe Glass Cages he has amazing tanks built and I know that he is a Cronie work horse. Shout out Joe gonna be in touch at some point. As for sc I am not quite sure. Maybe somebody else will know
Yeah Joe has been awesome, I’m still a bit of a noob- I’m a new reefer and despite having impulse bought a 20G AIO, I’m interested in getting something bigger although that continues to seem more impractical considering my budget as a college student- but time and time again, he has displayed a wonderful degree of patience in answering my many questions and helping me with pricing out my [currently hypothetical] build ideas. Thanks Joe!

bratfink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I’d be interested to know if SC Aquariums is still a going concern.

I have an older 90 Starfire cube which I found the silicone to be detaching near the top. I’m in no position to be repairing a rimless tank so I was looking to replace the display tank only and keep the sump and stand setup.

I too got no response from a message I sent them through their webpage.

now I’m wondering if my entire system needs to be replaced rather than just the display tank.

Sm1nts2escape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a custom 104 gallon from Steve at SCA a month ago and got my rendering of the tank last week. 39.5x22.5x27.5. Email him or call the main number. [email protected]

Attachments

• Custom SCA Tank.jpg
    Custom SCA Tank.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 54

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in business. Email usually is best. As said above Steve is responsive to inquiries. I have a fairly ancient (by SC's standards) 50g cube I love it. The website always been a bit ratty, lol.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem like a solid tank builder , I think they build in China , so I am somewhat skeptical if that is true. However , 3 year warranty is pretty good. Innovative Marine NUVO Made to Order look decent also. Also a three year warranty. Glass Cages seems good, made in USA, but I don't think their warranty is as long so something to check on.

I am looking for a tank myself and not sure what to do yet. I might have to buy something I can finance with monthly payments, but not sure yet.

DerpFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking at tanks with 24x24” and 36x36” footprints and seen a few old builds with the SC 50 G (24x24x20, basically a shallower 60 cube) and the SC 135G (36x36x24, basically a 93 square on steroids). Since other companies aren’t advertising those dimensions as standard models, I figured it was worth checking out SC.

I decided to check out the webpage for SC and noticed some stuff I found, for lack of a better word, odd. If you click on the contact us page, the form is broken. Then, like many other websites, the SC aquariums page has the graphic that allows you to click on icons for mainstream social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest). None of the icons have working links- and on top of that, I couldn’t even find an Instagram account for the company with a separate search effort. Lastly, after going on Facebook and tracking down their page, they have not posted since 2015 on Facebook, and not since 2018 on Twitter.

So is SC even still around? As an avid fan of these forums I’ve done my fair share of looking at older build threads, many of which discuss the build thread owner’s experiences chatting with a bunch of custom tank makers before finally selecting one. I would assume that there are other hobbyists like me, and if my suspicions are correct, I would imagine it would be prudent to make others aware of SC being defunct so they don’t waste their time trying to track down SC, or worse, purchase a tank from a website that’s not even active anymore.

I have spoken with @Joe Glass Cages a lot, as well as Derek at Miracle Aquariums, and I’ve been impressed by their willingness to work with a customer’s weird requests, so this is not so much a “I’m seeking a tank from this manufacturer” as it is a curiousity.
I just purchased a tank from SC Aquariums in January and was talking to the owner to arrange delivery. He was always very prompt with replying to my emails and the tank looks great.

addictedtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I received a tank from them in January. Their website still active.

Lupco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed my order last Friday.
A few weeks ago I called and left a voicemail, Steve called me back an hour after that and we switched to emails. Very helpful and responsive, he answered my questions on weekends which normally is not required, but won my trust and proved that they are serious about customers and providing nice support. The process of buying was a nice experience and I feel very comfortable that I placed the order from SC Aquariums. Five Stars is well deserved.

Sm1nts2escape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually backed out of my order from SCA - I was repeatedly told my tank would be arriving next week and he would call me back and send tracking the next day but never did. I kept dealing with this bi-weekly till it got close to my paypal deposit would no longer be able to be refunded. I called the week before and stated that the refund window for paypal was closing and I needed the tracking info/tank and again was told that they would give me the info the next day. I waited another week then filed a paypal claim. 2 days after doing so Steve said my tank was in hand and asked me to pay the remainder and cancel the claim. I did not believe him and was never shown any proof etc. I continued the claim and William Li/Steve Chow (Same person??) threatened to file a claim against me. Paypal decided in my favor and then I never heard from him again. I was pretty upset and disappointed. He and his wife seemed nice but too many lies from Steve. Funny thing is a month or so later I was at a store looking at some equipment and mentioned to them I was looking for some bigger stuff for a different aquarium and I ended up sharing my story with them and they stated they had the same problem with him for a large custom tank except they paid in full and it has been 2 years since their order and he still hasn't delivered.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back