Just curious whats the longest time to open?

Ghost Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what's the longest time you've had a zoa frag not open after being fragged and then still open and surive?

I fragged one of my colonies that was hanging over the plug and it's been over two weeks now. It opened up maybe 1/4 way a few times but then closes up. All other zoas (that I didn't frag) are doing great. Same light and flow as parent colony next to it.

Thanks!

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they haven’t withered away and are opening even a modest 1/4 they’ll probably be fine. I’ve had fully intact healthy zoanthids get so ticked from relocation that they took weeks to start opening. On the other hand, I’ve recently relocated an entire tank worth of live stock and corals to a new tank which included tearing zoanthids off rock work and they opened the next evening.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just depends on the strand, and how you frag them. I fragged a Grim reaper 3 weeks ago by cutting the polyp, not the rock, and it’s not happy. (Alive, but ticked off) I fragged some Aphrodite’s yesterday by cutting the rock, and they were open within the hour. Fastest I’ve ever seen! You can also dip them in an iodide solution after to help heal the polyps. I highly recommend looking up videos/posts though :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back