Just curious: why do people care about lineage and how do you prove it?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy a puppy I understand why people care about the lineage and you prove it with documents tracing the family tree, so to speak. But, why and how here?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also man similar corals named the same thing from different companies. One example I know is the pink caddy acro. There are 3 different pink caddy’s out there.

RRC pink caddy has blue polyps (the OG)
I believe there are two other versions. One has reddish polyps and another has purple polyps. All called same thing but the RRC is the only one that has the blue polyps as far as I know.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To rip people off.

I bought a coral recently off here.. first time ive ever made a purchase online. I regret it. Was called a dragon soul torch. I asked for pics to show its greens better as it was filtered to show only gold.. no green at all. Aparently he was too busy with work to take pics lol.. which makes no sense as no one works 24 hrs a day

Was told it had greens like a reference pic i showed. Then i get the coral.. and its all baby blue with some very faint gold stripes. I dunno if it bleached in transit or what but it didnt even look anything like the guys own pictures.

This is why i hate filtered corals.. people alter them so much. They can turn a green coral into yellow or gold if they want.

Suffice to say thats probly the last coral i buy online too

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're paying $$$ for a WWC or Jason Fox big name coral, you want to make sure it came from there.

Otherwise you're just paying $$$ for a coral that looks similar that's worth $.

Online sellers will rip each other off fairly regularly, it's one of the saddest sides to the hobby.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy a puppy I understand why people care about the lineage and you prove it with documents tracing the family tree, so to speak. But, why and how here?
Wow, you are good at Avoiding Work!

I suspect for the exact same reasons and in the exact same way as with buying puppies. You buy from a reputable dealer you trust.

In fact, you might say, we should be MORE concerned since our corals are for the most part not the result of any messy sexual reproductive process with chancy outcomes but genetically IDENTICAL to the parent colony.

Now, I have to get back to work.

Last edited:

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Jason Fox buys a coral at Pet Supermarket and sells it. Ta-dah! It now has lineage as far as anyone who buys it knows?
Now you're just saying things for the sake of arguing.
Jason Fox, nor any other reputable sellers, would EVER do such a thing.

I think your question has been answered. Receipts and buying from reputable sellers will help with lineage. People care because of justifying the cost and being able to say "I have the (insert coral here)!"

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To rip people off.

I bought a coral recently off here.. first time ive ever made a purchase online. I regret it. Was called a dragon soul torch. I asked for pics to show its greens better as it was filtered to show only gold.. no green at all. Aparently he was too busy with work to take pics lol.. which makes no sense as no one works 24 hrs a day

Was told it had greens like a reference pic i showed. Then i get the coral.. and its all baby blue with some very faint gold stripes. I dunno if it bleached in transit or what but it didnt even look anything like the guys own pictures.

This is why i hate filtered corals.. people alter them so much. They can turn a green coral into yellow or gold if they want.

Suffice to say thats probly the last coral i buy online too
Did you look at the sellers other post or his thread selling it? Also I feel you should have held out for a pic of the coral in “white light” if you really wanted a certain coral. As for him not sending a better pic is a clear sign of something fishy

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you're just saying things for the sake of arguing.
Jason Fox, nor any other reputable sellers, would EVER do such a thing.

I think your question has been answered. Receipts and buying from reputable sellers will help with lineage. People care because of justifying the cost and being able to say "I have the (insert coral here)!"
Sorry if I offended you, it just seems like buying corals because someone says "you can trust me" seems ripe for fraud. I came up with the dog comment because my neighbor bought a "purebred" Golden Retriever puppy for $2,000 based on "you can trust me" from a local dealer. 6 months month later it was clearly not a mixed breed. I'll let it go.

Last edited:

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Jason Fox of big name coral buys a frag at Pet Supermarket and sells it. Ta-dah! It now has lineage as far as anyone who buys it knows?
You know, I kind of bet that ol' JF has such an eye for coral that even if he did pick it up Pet Supermarket(?), he picked it up for a reason.

It really wouldn't matter if it was from a reef at Raja Ampat or a strip mall in Muddywaters.

The man's got an eye for coral. That's what I'm paying him for.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look at the sellers other post or his thread selling it? Also I feel you should have held out for a pic of the coral in “white light” if you really wanted a certain coral. As for him not sending a better pic is a clear sign of something fishy
Yea i suspected it was fishy. He still hasnt sent me a pic of the (dragon soul) corals he has left. Instead he just sent a 100$ refund.. which is fine. I paid 150 plus 50 shipping.

So i didnt lose out on anything.. its still a torch i dont have.. I can see it has the patterns of a dragon soul.. i see faint stripes of gold ( hard to see in pic)

Look at this pic. Does this look like a dragon soul to you lol ?

Attachments

• 20210210_153759.jpg
    20210210_153759.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 49

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i suspected it was fishy. He still hasnt sent me a pic of the (dragon soul) corals he has left. Instead he just sent a 100$ refund.. which is fine. I paid 150 plus 50 shipping.

So i didnt lose out on anything.. its still a torch i dont have.. I can see it has the patterns of a dragon soul.. i see faint stripes of gold ( hard to see in pic)

Look at this pic. Does this look like a dragon soul to you lol ?

Yes it does.

You just need a little imagination.

Smaug a few days later.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Looks nothing like this dragon soul torch i took a pic of ina local store. Or are you being sarcastic haha

Screenshot_20210210-155234_Gallery.jpg

Back