Just did PAR meter tests and found that lights are set way too low

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got to borrow a par meter to check some numbers. Turns out, everything is getting 1/2 to 2/3 as much par as it needs. This would explain slow growth and a number of issues with poor coloration and STN from base of some SPS.

Should I increase 5% (smallest possible increment with kessil...) every week until numbers are where they should be? Or are corals clearly being underlit to their detriment a good reason to increase light faster?

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finally got to borrow a par meter to check some numbers. Turns out, everything is getting 1/2 to 2/3 as much par as it needs. This would explain slow growth and a number of issues with poor coloration and STN from base of some SPS.

Should I increase 5% (smallest possible increment with kessil...) every week until numbers are where they should be? Or are corals clearly being underlit to their detriment a good reason to increase light faster?
What were your PAR numbers?

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were your PAR numbers?

Acros getting 90 par, 50 par on sandbed for LPS.

It's a 24" deep tank and the lights are mounted a good distance above the waterline. I started some kessil spotlights around 40% peak brightness since I've heard the narrow lens variant can really melt coral. Left them that way for weeks and was wondering why a birdsnest and a pc rainbow STNd.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dtruitt I had a similar experience when I rented a PAR meter as well. I basically had to almost double my light settings.

To do this I built a 5 week schedule that did two things. First, it changed my light intensity for each channel between my “current” and “target” settings. I was basically targeting the AB+ profile. Second, I also changed my timeline to have 3 hours of “blue”, 4 hours of “white” and 3 more “blue“. I ended up building a spreadsheet to track the time and intensity for the channels.

So long answer to your question. I changed my settings over five weeks using changes once a week.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back