Just double checking...cycling question

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my 32 gallon Biocube 14 days ago with live sand and dry rock. About day 3 the ammonia numbers were down to 0 and nitrites about 5ppm. This is where it has stayed now for approx 11 days. I have dosed twice with ammonia to get the ammonia to about 2ppm and within 24 hours it's back to 0.

So many articles say I need to just wait until nitrites are down to 0 also and then do a big water change for my nitrates, then add first fish.

However, I have recently seen threads on this forum that state as long as ammonia is being converted to 0 within the 24 hours that I should be good to go.

Please help explain. Can I add fish now or do I need to be patient for nitrites to be to 0 also.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree....wait.

Although nitrite is of little concern to most saltwater fish (compared to the concern with freshwater fish), the presence of nitrite is telling you that the bacteria hasn't populated the tank sufficiently to handle a bioload from the presence of fish. So sit back and wait. Also check nitrates (and phosphates).....with you putting in dry rock, the nitrates might be relatively high from the decay of dead stuff in the rock, as it cures. If nitrates (and phosphates) are high, consider water changes.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW before I used macro algae nitrItes would peg the test kit (5ppm) for weeks until I stopped feeding the fish. Then after a few days they would drop down to 0.

my .02

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try taking a sample of your water to your lfs and have them test it. You could have a faulty test kit.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeny

Your issue is lack of submersion time, check in the general forum we just kicked up two seconds ago from someone using shrimp cycling in your kind of build and see the recent comments about duration.

the sand you included has an inherent ability to nitrify and you may be measuring that, but you are wanting your rocks to take on bacteria just the same and for that they need minimum (the min claim is for safe zone where we rely not on testing to confirm) 30 days underwater even though you already show ammonia digestion work at play.

If you must start soon with a bioload, then your tank can handle some bioloading we see. If you have no particular start time required, the quickest thing you could do is add some bottled bacteria and any common ammonia source just once, then wait 30 days. change out all that cycling water, and add some starter corals and get to reefing.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...d-cocktail-shrimp-live-rock-no-shrimp.214618/

check out first sentence regarding nitrite testing :)

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your ammonia is being turned into nitrites at a good pace, it's all just a waiting game. You can cut out the ammonia dosing since you've already got yourself bacteria growing in there. I'd recommend feeding the tank a normal amount of food 1x every 3 days for the rest of the cycle to get the bacteria built up for regular feedings of future livestock. This all sounds totally normal the nitrite phase is a nail biting painful wait for most of us who just want to get things going but it is extremely important to wait it out and test your water every single day until your nitrates skyrocket and nitrites / ammonia both remain at 0ppm. Nitrite is pretty much just as toxic and deadly as ammonia.

Here is a chart I created specifically for this reason so newcomers can visually see how a tank runs through its initial nitrogen cycle.

IMG_0270.PNG

If you notice on day 24 nitrites finally began to drop after 13 days of waiting.

Your tank never stops cycling through its entire life, always remember that, so it will forever be important to still test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's also a neat takeaway about that timeline you are showing, nitrites will follow ammonia compliance and they wont ever be unlinked. it allows total disregard of nitrites altogether as the consistency is 100% across tanks given no meds, extreme drying or temp extremes during any cycling process. such a cool detail the little bac show across graphs

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so very much, I will stop ammonia dosing and start feeding reg food 1x every 3rd day...sounds like a good plan. And I will be patient. And just sit back and wait, and dream about having my little guys in there some day. :)

I will continue to test every day. I will be patient. I am also going to get a phosphate test right away.

Thanks again.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back