OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a way to get a pic or a drawing of how your input flows to the top of the socks ?
This is the best I have, as far as pictures go. This is from during the assemble stage. There is a baffle that goes almost all the way to the bottom of the drain section. There is another baffle, less than 1/2" on the other side of the first baffle and it runs up slightly over the level of the sock holder plate. The water flows under the first baffle and over the second. I also cut a piece of pvc pipe in half to help keep the splashing down.

11-10-13a_zps05ed101f.jpg

photo2_zps878422c1.jpg

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the gap between is like less than a 1/2 in between the baffals?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the gap between is like less than a 1/2 in between the baffals?
Yeah, it is really narrow. In hindsight, I could have made it a little wider. I was just concerned about not having enough room for two socks.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holes in the back of the sump - two are for pumps (1 main return - 1 for the pump that runs the manifold hooked to my reactors and frag tank), the third is an additional drain that was to be hooked to my chiller and remote refugium. I have decided to upgrade my tank, so I haven't used the other drain.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I wanted a sump that would would be easy to work on and in. I know it looks crowded, but a lot of thought went into making sure I can get everything out of there easily (like the skimmer and pump simply lift out as one assy) and that the sump could be completely disconnected from the tank plumbing and moved outside for periodic clening.

I cut all of the glass myself (except I bought the 40B) out of scraps from past projects. I find glass easier to work with in most cases and with a little cleaning, it can look as good as new later down the road. Sorry, I don't have a list of the dimensions.

I got the mini-bulkheads from JEHMCO - Bulkhead Fittings
You will need a 5/16" drill bit for the necessary holes.

Now all I have to do is find the time to install it. :)

Sorry this is old, building a sump/stand and was reading the search bar's treasure. How could I go about cutting my own baffles? Did you just purchase a sheet of glass and cut it with some sort of tool? Thanks! Amazing sump, Honestly I have gotten this far and figured I would ask and continue to read on!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this is old, building a sump/stand and was reading the search bar's treasure. How could I go about cutting my own baffles? Did you just purchase a sheet of glass and cut it with some sort of tool? Thanks! Amazing sump, Honestly I have gotten this far and figured I would ask and continue to read on!
I cut some of the glass for this out of old projects that I cut apart. Other parts I just had the glass shop cut for me. If I need new glass, I usually just have it cut, so I won't have to deal with transporting large pieces of glass. Cutting glass is not difficult, as long as you have the right tools and spend a little time practicing. Working with glass is a sort of lost art nowadays. I had taken some pics when I was building the sump. They may be in this thread somewhere.

It requires a scribe, a straight edge and cut run pliers.
photo2_zps255c7aac.jpg

Cut run pliers have arched jaws to apply pressure at the center of the scribe in the glass. Sorry, not the best pic,
but you get the idea of what makes the pliers special.
photo1_zpse7d0282f.jpg

Mark the area you want to cut and make a scribe. This part takes some practice. You only have one chance to
make the cut. Don't go back over the scribe. Has to be one and done. I always lubricate the wheel of the scribe
with mineral spirits. Secure your straight edge and make a firm pass with the scribe, applying consistent pressure
all along the line.

Center the cut run pliers on the scribe and apply slowly increasing pressure to the the pliers. The split will start
and run all the way to the other end of the scribed area.
photo4_zpsec26a469.jpg

This cut was about 36".
photo5_zpsb5a1613c.jpg

When you are done, just take some sand paper and lightly hit the fresh cut edges to dull the sharp glass. This is very simple and just takes a second to
finish the edges.
photo_zpseac44703.jpg

Anyway, that's about all there is to it. The tools are not expensive. The scribes are available at any hardware store
and the pliers can be found online. I would get the ones with the rubber pads on the jaws. These are old and I got
them from a friend that owns a glass shop. I usually pad the jaws with a bit of folded up paper towel. The bare
metal can chip the glass when the glass breaks. Hope that helps, but honestly, unless you just want to learn how to
work with glass, it is easier to just get the glass shop to cut your parts to size for you.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I wanted a sump that would would be easy to work on and in. I know it looks crowded, but a lot of thought went into making sure I can get everything out of there easily (like the skimmer and pump simply lift out as one assy) and that the sump could be completely disconnected from the tank plumbing and moved outside for periodic clening.

I cut all of the glass myself (except I bought the 40B) out of scraps from past projects. I find glass easier to work with in most cases and with a little cleaning, it can look as good as new later down the road. Sorry, I don't have a list of the dimensions.

I got the mini-bulkheads from JEHMCO - Bulkhead Fittings
You will need a 5/16" drill bit for the necessary holes.

Now all I have to do is find the time to install it. :)
Any advice for a person trying to create a sump? I am going to cut glass.. but have never done it before.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice for a person trying to create a sump? I am going to cut glass.. but have never done it before.
When I find the same thread I already commented on a few days ago... LOL

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%

Back