Just found this big white scar on my blue tang he still active and eating

klsp19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone. I have an active blue tang. He has this white scar looking thing on his body. He seems very active and the first one to eat food.

Some suspected cause is:
1st. I have a big anemone? He sleeps and hides behind it.

2nd. He is in between these narrow rocks staying here whole night might be scratching unintentionally.

3rd ammonia spike?

4th before that night i somehow slighty touch some small part of my sand. Could that cause ammonia spike?

5th is it velvet? Or ich? But he is healthy and my other fishes are ok

This tank is 2 weeks old transfered from a small tank to a bigger tank (red sea 170 to red sea 350) but my biofilter medias and rocks are 1 year old. 1/4 my sand are my old sand.

I dont think the sand has already toxic stuff to spike ammonia.

6th fish is newly addition 3 days ago. He is kinda active since yesterday eating a lot. Is it still consider as disease?

Parameters
Ph8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2ppm
Kh 8.3
Calcium 450
Magnesium 1350
Phosphate .1

Thank youuuuu please advice if you have experience

received_1246414615811006.jpeg received_1246414615811006.jpeg received_4256429314404426.jpeg

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s either number one or number two ammonia spike would not do that to a fish and velvet/ich is more of a parasite and looks unnatural to the the fish. This looks like he scraped him self on a rock or something you know how those fish can be, getting into those tiny crevices lol.

adamf83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had very similar marks/scars on some of my fish and it only started to happen after I introduced an anemone to the tanks and it split to cover the rocks.

I’d go with number 1

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone. I have an active blue tang. He has this white scar looking thing on his body. He seems very active and the first one to eat food.

Some suspected cause is:
1st. I have a big anemone? He sleeps and hides behind it.

2nd. He is in between these narrow rocks staying here whole night might be scratching unintentionally.

3rd ammonia spike?

4th before that night i somehow slighty touch some small part of my sand. Could that cause ammonia spike?

5th is it velvet? Or ich? But he is healthy and my other fishes are ok

This tank is 2 weeks old transfered from a small tank to a bigger tank (red sea 170 to red sea 350) but my biofilter medias and rocks are 1 year old. 1/4 my sand are my old sand.

I dont think the sand has already toxic stuff to spike ammonia.

6th fish is newly addition 3 days ago. He is kinda active since yesterday eating a lot. Is it still consider as disease?

Parameters
Ph8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2ppm
Kh 8.3
Calcium 450
Magnesium 1350
Phosphate .1

Thank youuuuu please advice if you have experience

received_1246414615811006.jpeg received_1246414615811006.jpeg received_4256429314404426.jpeg

It isn't ich or velvet. It isn't water quality, as that would also affect the anemone. It isn't a scrape - remember, hepatus tangs naturally hide in coral crevices, they just don't get scraped like that. Also, the lesion is on both sides of the fish - I doubt it is the anemone. If the tang has been staying by the anemone this whole time and just now developed the lesions on both sides, that makes it rather unlikely. If the anemone is new, then it could possibly be that.

It also seems to me that it is all over the fish, and that it just shows up clearer on the black marking due to the contrast, would you agree?

Does the tang posture in front of the cleaner shrimp a lot?

Jay

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said this fish is new as of 3 days ago? I'm also guessing it didn't get put through any form of QT by you?
Does it stay consistent or does it seem to get better/worse at different points of the day? I think it may be stress related from all the shipping and handling.

OP
OP
klsp19

klsp19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you so much for all your replies. Im going to continue to monitor it. As far as i observe the fish is very active and eats a lot. Its just during the night it stays near the anemone. The anemone has been with my tank for a long time and hasn't stung any of my other fish. The fish is new and still figuring out where will he stay when the lights got off. It usually stay under the rock where the anemone is on top of it. Here is the photo of it under the rock so im really confused if its really the anemone or these narrow space in rocks he is staying. When the lights are on. There are no more white stuff on its body which is weird. This anemone is so big its a size of a volley ball including the stretch of tentacles. But im not sure if it really stings the tang

Attachments

• received_395682251906380.jpeg
    received_395682251906380.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
klsp19

klsp19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had very similar marks/scars on some of my fish and it only started to happen after I introduced an anemone to the tanks and it split to cover the rocks.

I’d go with number 1
By the way how was your fishes now are they better or did they recover?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back