Just found this forum and looking foreword to participating

muggle reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I got into reefing because my sons grandparents wanted to get him a saltwater acquarium. That was about 8 years ago and have been running a Red Sea 130D with my son helping to som degree ever since. We have had mixed success and lot:s of failure. I do a couple things well and most things wrong. We keep current on our water changes and have changed 4 gallons every other week from the start. Keep the lights changed out twice a year. Last couple years I think I have been running my salinity on the low side. You would say think, well that is because while I do the basics consistently I quit seriously doing any testing years ago. My salinity tester was one of those cheap things with a floaty that I would rinse out with tap water and turn it upside down to dry. We have decided to get more serious about the whole thing in recent months and I have been gradually upgrading process and equipment. Purchased a new refractomiter and plan on doing a better job with things as a whole. You would be surprised though how few fish we kill with our sloppyness though. The 130D is a horrible heat sink as the hood lights just blast heat into the tank. We have run a chiller for about 6 years. Last year our old chiller died the week I was out of town for 5 days. We had a mass extinction when water hit 90 degrees. And people don:t believe in global warming. Of all things our clown fish survived, he is now known as “bloody legend”. Two of our corals also pulled through, we have rebuilt our lives stock, we keep a Valentini puffer, a fire fish, the clown and we just added a 6 line wrass.

Presently we are thinking of going to a larger system In the future.

OP
OP
M

muggle reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R, @muggle reefer! definitely a wealth of knowledge here. i recommend reading the stickies on each sub-forum. i think you'll find many of your questions already answered.

Scary Settings: Harry's Underground Adventures | MuggleNet's Underground Adventures | MuggleNet

ravenclaw here! :D
I was looking at some of those before, I registered, I think you are correct. I am not strictly new but in many regards I am. Discovered recently that it was probably a good idea to have more water circulation than just my return pump for example. So I have been digging in recently to start learning about more after floundering along for years.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.jpg

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I got into reefing because my sons grandparents wanted to get him a saltwater acquarium. That was about 8 years ago and have been running a Red Sea 130D with my son helping to som degree ever since. We have had mixed success and lot:s of failure. I do a couple things well and most things wrong. We keep current on our water changes and have changed 4 gallons every other week from the start. Keep the lights changed out twice a year. Last couple years I think I have been running my salinity on the low side. You would say think, well that is because while I do the basics consistently I quit seriously doing any testing years ago. My salinity tester was one of those cheap things with a floaty that I would rinse out with tap water and turn it upside down to dry. We have decided to get more serious about the whole thing in recent months and I have been gradually upgrading process and equipment. Purchased a new refractomiter and plan on doing a better job with things as a whole. You would be surprised though how few fish we kill with our sloppyness though. The 130D is a horrible heat sink as the hood lights just blast heat into the tank. We have run a chiller for about 6 years. Last year our old chiller died the week I was out of town for 5 days. We had a mass extinction when water hit 90 degrees. And people don:t believe in global warming. Of all things our clown fish survived, he is now known as “bloody legend”. Two of our corals also pulled through, we have rebuilt our lives stock, we keep a Valentini puffer, a fire fish, the clown and we just added a 6 line wrass.

Presently we are thinking of going to a larger system In the future.
Welcome aboard r2r brother your gonna love it here,, awesome people

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back