Just got my cheato in the mail

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tossed it in my fuge, anything I need to know now? It's floating next to the baffle with water running through it and the light shining directly on it.

How long before it should grow and how long before I see a change in nutrients? I'm sitting around 15 nitrate and .5 phosphate

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately every tank is different. Nobody can really give you a definitive answer. Generally you want to acclimate the chaeto to your light over a couple weeks to not burn it and cause it to go white. Start out with short photoperiods and slowly increase your lighting time. But you should start seeing results after a couple weeks if this is your first time implimenting a fuge. Just keep an eye out that it doesn't completely deplete your nutrients.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately every tank is different. Nobody can really give you a definitive answer. Generally you want to acclimate the chaeto to your light over a couple weeks to not burn it and cause it to go white. Start out with short photoperiods and slowly increase your lighting time. But you should start seeing results after a couple weeks if this is your first time implimenting a fuge. Just keep an eye out that it doesn't completely deplete your nutrients.
I'm trying to go to an ultra low nutrient system. I always see people saying run light 100% of the time.

I'm running an led grow light bulb from home depot.

jeffmr4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine for about 12 hours per day with a grow light. I would recommend turning it once a day if it doesn't spin. That's helped prevent algae growing on mine.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just toss it in the sump.

When it gets bigger you can test if you want.

To ulns. You prob want gfo and not many fish.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have to pull some of mine out every month and toss it, it grows so fast.
Mine doesn't seem to be growing much if at all. It bleached out a bit so I cut lighting to 12 hours a day. If it doesn't take hold and start growing I'll just do carbon dosing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back