Just got my first saltwater tank. Advice pls

Noci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So yesterday i bought my first saltwater tank from kijiji. I have 20 freshwater tanks and have always wanted to do the jump. It came with 2x clownfish, a blue damsel, 3 hermitcrabs and sand. I just put 18 lb of live rock and im running a tidal 55 and a aquaclear (small) for carbon. Once is established i do want to add more fish with the idea that im going to upgrade in the near future to a 90 gallon or 120 gallon. I have allways wanted a fire angelfish, mandarin fish and a yellow tang. Could i get these fish once the aquarium is 100% cycled? (Again is temporary untill I upgrade). I do want to put easy coral like leathers and bubbles as well.
Thanks for your time all :)

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a smallish amount of rock for a 55g. While I don't really adhere to the 1lb/gallon rule of aquascape in a tank, you will need a considerable amount if you're going to keep certain species of fish. I love angelfish, but most of them are grazers, and you can't skimp on the live rock.

Mandarins are a problem. I love them, you love them, everybody loves them, but they're just not ideal fish for most people. One importer told me that he stopped importing captive-bred mandarins because most of his customers never could get them to adapt to frozen food. I was lucky with mine, and it survived until it died in an accident, but there's very little more disheartening than watching a pretty fish starve to death.

Just remember that success often feels elusive in new tanks and that progress is often measured in months and years, and not days and weeks. Don't be disheartened if your tank takes a looong time to get to the point where you want to show it off, or looks "ugly". All tanks are lovely in their own way.

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a smallish amount of rock for a 55g. While I don't really adhere to the 1lb/gallon rule of aquascape in a tank, you will need a considerable amount if you're going to keep certain species of fish. I love angelfish, but most of them are grazers, and you can't skimp on the live rock.

Mandarins are a problem. I love them, you love them, everybody loves them, but they're just not ideal fish for most people. One importer told me that he stopped importing captive-bred mandarins because most of his customers never could get them to adapt to frozen food. I was lucky with mine, and it survived until it died in an accident, but there's very little more disheartening than watching a pretty fish starve to death.

Just remember that success often feels elusive in new tanks and that progress is often measured in months and years, and not days and weeks. Don't be disheartened if your tank takes a looong time to get to the point where you want to show it off, or looks "ugly". All tanks are lovely in their own way.
Solid advice ^

Its not a hobby for impatient. Also a very rewarding one to be in. In many aspects that is..

Find a buddy with a nice healthy looking tank and follow their advice. Although R2R is a wonderful place to get your Q's answered. Having a knowledgeable friend in this reefing world is the best thing you can do for yourself. There is a lot of folks in this with a lot of different opinions/methods. It may get overwhelming when times are tough and people are telling you different things left and right. Keep at it and you will be successful!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back