• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Just got my Swabbie yesterday....Initial review.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a chance to unpack it and set it up last night. Fit and finish look good. It shipped very well, and AVAST Marine did a good job of packing. They even signed the receipt with a "thank you" and gave me a hand towel with the AVAST logo on it.

This Swabbie is going on a Vertex Alpha 250 cone skimmer. This was a custom order and cost $20 more than the standard $134.99 price, as it takes more material because of the large diameter of the Alpha 250 collection cup.

Pic 1 and 2: Top and bottom shot of the Swabbie. Notice the machined channel inside the lid for the top of the collection cup and the three clamps for centering the Swabbie wiper blade inside the collection cup skimmer neck.

Pic 3: Swabbie and collection cup turned upside down for setting the wiper blade against the inside of the skimmer neck.

Pic 4: Completed installation of the Swabbie, ready to go on the Alpha 250.

Pic 5: Completed installation of Swabbie on skimmer. AVAST suggests an initial setting of the Swabbie operating for a minimum of 1 minute 4 times a day. I have the Swabbie controlled by an RKL controller, coming on for 1 minute every 6 hours.

Initial Impressions:

Shipping and General Customer Service from AVAST:

I give them a A+ on this. AVAST answered all my questions promptly and courteously. They packed my Swabbie very well and shipped it via USPS Priority Mail when they said they would. The equipment was well packed and arrived to me in good shape. Friendly folks to deal with.

General fit and finish of the Swabbie:

Very good. I really don't know what to expect with a product of this type, but it appears very well built. One might think at this VERY reasonable price point that there would be lower quality materials used, but the the plastics used are thick, solid, and look up to the task. No sharp edges to be found. The wiper blade is very thick and looks like it will last a long time.

The machined channel in my Swabbie skimmer lid is a PERFECT fit for my Alpha 250 cup. There is no play in the fit at all. As a matter of fact, I don't think I even need the three clamps that come with the Swabbie at all, the fit is so good. I assume the thumb screws are for adjusting the center point of the Swabbie to assure 360 degree contact of the wiper blade to the inside of the skimmer neck. My Swabbie has 360 degree contact and no adjustment of the center point is needed.

Only point of caution any Buyer should use is to not over tighten the screw that holds the wiper blade assembly to the turning shaft. The center shaft is dense plastic, and over torquing can strip the threads. It doesn't take a lot of tension to hold the wiper blade assembly in place. AVAST warns about this in the printed Directions enclosed with the Swabbie.

The screws and nuts used to hold the silicone blade to the plastic wiper assembly, and the single large screw that holds the wiper assembly to the turning shaft are made of nylon, so they will not rust. And per AVAST Marine, the set screw holding the center shaft onto the motor housing is 316 stainless, so it should never rust. Looks like AVAST took the harsh environment into consideration when picking their hardware materials.

The Swabbie is in place and starting to do it's job. I will post later after it has had a chance to run for a while.
Dave

Picture 176.jpg

Picture 174.jpg

Picture 177.jpg

Picture 178.jpg

Picture 179.jpg

Last edited:

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review Dave. This saved me a pm to you and I'm sure others (including AVAST) will appreciate the honest and thorough review. Well done man. Keep us posted! : )

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this! I'm interested in getting one of these for my SWC 250 extreme skimmer. Very thorough review, great job!

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it comin'. What a great alternative to all the other expensive self cleaning heads

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates Dave? Would love to hear how it's performing on your skimmer. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you don't want to post publicly. I hope it's working well as I'm close to pulling the trigger on one as well! : )

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back