Just got radiant wrasse, just lying on his side. Is this normal?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
**Is this normal for a 'newly bought" radiant wrasse to just be lying down on his side, no motion unless pushed? Pic attached .. see detail below...
Thanks

I got a radiant wrasse from LFS today. I didnt see him swim around in tank, and I wish I did now. He was just burried in the sand. WHenever trying to get out of LFS tank he woudl re-bury. So I never got a look at him swimming, etc. I saw him in the bag of course, but he looked fine. But not swimming. I assumed he was stressed. In the bag at home he was lying in bag upside down, righting himself sometimes, but otherwise lethargic. I had to slowly acclimate b/c his salinity was only 1.017 . Mine was 1.0265 .. I was able to slowly get mine down to 1.024. After 3 hrs I put him in tank. He swam brief to just lay on his side. I got him out of tank really easily with a net. I put him him in the breeding trap you see, so I can get him out if he dies and I need to bring him back to LFS

radiant.jpeg

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry, but that does not sound normal to me... a new fish that hides for extended amounts of days is also a bad sign. You should always carefully view a fish before purchasing it.

I’ve been in the hobby for over a year and it’s a lesson I’ve relearned more than once :( I just bought a beautiful male lyretail and poor guy lasted all of two days, but passed this morning.

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I recommend quarantine. I’m a big believer in quarantine, it ensures you don’t get nasty diseases in your tank, and at the very least, quarantine allows a chance for the fish to calm down and acclimate to aquarium life. Whenever I purchase a sensitive wrasse, I qt them in a 10 gal with sand and live rock with some cheap corals on it (zoas and gsp). Having live corals calms a fish. And to help with your radiant wrasse, don’t give up. I would put him in a separate tank if you have one or just release him back into your main tank if there’s sand. Just cross your fingers and hope for the best. Stressing him more through relocating him just makes it much worse. Those are such fun fish, mine was sensitive too when I first got him but he’s taken nicely to the aquarium life. Good luck!!

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry, but that does not sound normal to me... a new fish that hides for extended amounts of days is also a bad sign. You should always carefully view a fish before purchasing it.

I’ve been in the hobby for over a year and it’s a lesson I’ve relearned more than once :( I just bought a beautiful male lyretail and poor guy lasted all of two days, but passed this morning.
I totally agree. But i understand the radiant often juat lies down. Hmmmm

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal Gramma just laid on the bottom of the tank continuously for like three days in QT. Not sure what was wrong with him but he's good now.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id puthim in tank. But im worried the other fish or hermits will pick on him. He just lays there. Moves if really pushed to. I know qt. But not possible right now. I have to deal with what i have now.
tbx hds. Hipedully mine is like your gramma. This is my fault for trusting the lfs that he was already at least adjusted to their tank

Last edited:

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Ammonia from bag?

I had 2 of my favorite fish shipped to me the “Leopard wrasse” and they never made it out of the bag

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia from bag?

I had 2 of my favorite fish shipped to me the “Leopard wrasse” and they never made it out of the bag
He was upside in the bag by time I got home 5 mins after being at LFS. He might been upside down the entire time. I never got a chance to see him free swimming (if he ever was) in the LFS. He was going from sand burrow to sand burrow immediately. I saw him in bag there only. And he was just there (right side up), not moving. But he was just put in the bag so I didnt think anything of it. Anyhow he was on his way out from time he got in the bag , possibly (likely?) before. There were even dead fish in the sand at the LFS he was digging up trying to find the wrasse! .. he didnt even try to get them out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
**Is this normal for a 'newly bought" radiant wrasse to just be lying down on his side, no motion unless pushed? Pic attached .. see detail below...
Thanks

I got a radiant wrasse from LFS today. I didnt see him swim around in tank, and I wish I did now. He was just burried in the sand. WHenever trying to get out of LFS tank he woudl re-bury. So I never got a look at him swimming, etc. I saw him in the bag of course, but he looked fine. But not swimming. I assumed he was stressed. In the bag at home he was lying in bag upside down, righting himself sometimes, but otherwise lethargic. I had to slowly acclimate b/c his salinity was only 1.017 . Mine was 1.0265 .. I was able to slowly get mine down to 1.024. After 3 hrs I put him in tank. He swam brief to just lay on his side. I got him out of tank really easily with a net. I put him him in the breeding trap you see, so I can get him out if he dies and I need to bring him back to LFS

radiant.jpeg
That isn’t normal, and is related to the salinity increase. Fish handle salinity drops really well, but rises need to be kept at less than 0.003 SG units at a time, and your fish went through 0.007
Jay

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn’t normal, and is related to the salinity increase. Fish handle salinity drops really well, but rises need to be kept at less than 0.003 SG units at a time, and your fish went through 0.007
Jay
I def agree. Though he was dying before any water from my tank hit his. There was no salinity difference yet that he experienced from LFS to my tank. Now from the sea to the distributor to LFS is a different story. It's the second fish in a row that I got from them that died. The last one likely did die b/c of salinity change. I didnt know their salinity was so low then. They told me it was at 1.022 or 1.021 there, still too low to go to my tank. But it was actually 1.017 (measured by milwaukee (sp) meter MA887 :-D . Im very sad about the fish. But if LFS doesnt accomadate me (I called them right after I got home and saw fish upside down, with pics and video bag unopened), I'll dispute with my bank or just be really mad and post their name here hmph

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I def agree. Though he was dying before any water from my tank hit his. There was no salinity difference yet that he experienced from LFS to my tank. Now from the sea to the distributor to LFS is a different story. It's the second fish in a row that I got from them that died. The last one likely did die b/c of salinity change. I didnt know their salinity was so low then. They told me it was at 1.022 or 1.021 there, still too low to go to my tank. But it was actually 1.017 (measured by milwaukee (sp) meter MA887 :-D . Im very sad about the fish. But if LFS doesnt accomadate me (I called them right after I got home and saw fish upside down, with pics and video bag unopened), I'll dispute with my bank or just be really mad and post their name here hmph
How long was he transport to get the fish home? Did they use air or oxygen in the bag? Obviously salinity change isn’t the issue if the fish was upside down in the bag before you started adding water. If your transport was less than about 45 minutes, or if the LFS used oxygen, then the fish had issues from the dealer and they should cover it or shop elsewhere!
Jay

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you just been impatient. I know that Radiant Wrasse is a rarer fish at LFS becasue they are delicate. Next time, wait until you see him swimming and attempt eating first before you get him. If the LFS sold him to somebody else, then that is too bad, but at least you won't loose money.
I certainly understand how you feel in term of how badly you want a Radiant Wrasse. I certainly have been in your boat. It took me several years to fins a Radiant wrasse I can buy. Better luck next time.

This one did not make it:
RadiantW2019062601.jpg

Initial picture of my current one:
RadiantWrasse2020112804.jpg

Current picture
RadiantWrasse2021013101.jpg

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was he transport to get the fish home? Did they use air or oxygen in the bag? Obviously salinity change isn’t the issue if the fish was upside down in the bag before you started adding water. If your transport was less than about 45 minutes, or if the LFS used oxygen, then the fish had issues from the dealer and they should cover it or shop elsewhere!
Jay
transport from time I left LFS to home was 5--10 mins. closer to 5. THey are down the street almost. THY for that support. I'm on my way back to LFS now with pics and video,, dead fish, and water sample (though my water 90% chance had nothing to do with it). I'm super nervous, as I hate this. I had to fight for 50% credit last time b/c the fish died 48 hrs later and they claimed my salinity was too high. I went through a long asss time if getting a correct salinity meter with correct calibration fluids (they are all different). I know my water is 1.026 . anyhow venting b/c i'm nervous going there ugh lol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, good luck!
Jay

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
transport from time I left LFS to home was 5--10 mins. closer to 5. THey are down the street almost. THY for that support. I'm on my way back to LFS now with pics and video,, dead fish, and water sample (though my water 90% chance had nothing to do with it). I'm super nervous, as I hate this. I had to fight for 50% credit last time b/c the fish died 48 hrs later and they claimed my salinity was too high. I went through a long asss time if getting a correct salinity meter with correct calibration fluids (they are all different). I know my water is 1.026 . anyhow venting b/c i'm nervous going there ugh lol
Shop elsewhere. The convenience of location seems to be outweighed by the hassle of dealing with their policies.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How was this fish acclimated/Introduced?? What method did you use and for how long ?

Back