Just got radiant wrasse, just lying on his side. Is this normal?

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Orion, you're totally right of course. I knew later I was really hasty getting the fish. You have a really nice radiant.
Vetteguy: He was dying before the bag was even floating in my tank. Likely at the LFS, as even the manager said he hasnt seen the fish hardly at all in the 5 days it's been there, it's always in the sand. I did take 3 hours to acclimate. Small water exchanges. Didn't matter, he was going to die no matter how he was acclimated.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally you don't really need that long to acclimated the fish. Temperature and salinity need to be match. If salinity about the same they can just go right in once temperature match by floating. If specific gravity (salinity) is low in the LFS like 1.018 (around 25 ppt) and your tank at 1.026 (around 35 ppt), then you should take about 20-30 mins or so only. The longer you do this the more stress to the fish.
Normally LFS keep their salinity low in FO tanks, about 25 ppt. I always keep my tank salinity at 35 ppt so I normally tank 20-30 mins to get the animals in at the most.

Long acclimation periord does not help the animals but stress them more.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to slowly acclimate b/c his salinity was only 1.017 . Mine was 1.0265 .. I was able to slowly get mine down to 1.024. After 3 hrs I put him in tank.
This, to me - Sounds like you put a fish that was in 1.017 salinity water directly into 1.024 salinity water after 3 hours, as Jay stated above.

You said you got yours down to 1.024 - Not sure what this means - You needed to get the store water the fish was in UP TO 1.026, to match yours.

Did you acclimate to the point the water the fish was in, in the bag or bucket was the same salinity as your tank?

Its either miscommunication or poor acclimation from what im reading.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, to me - Sounds like you put a fish that was in 1.017 salinity water directly into 1.024 salinity water after 3 hours, as Jay stated above.

You said you got yours down to 1.024 - Not sure what this means - You needed to get the store water the fish was in UP TO 1.026, to match yours.

Did you acclimate to the point the water the fish was in, in the bag or bucket was the same salinity as your tank?

Its either miscommunication or poor acclimation from what im reading.
This fish was laying upside down in the bag before ever opening it. Likely nothing would have mattered much anyhow as the fish was very bad off. Asking about the salinity in my main post looking back was too much info. Before the fish acually died someone told me it's normal for radiants them to lie on their side. So thats really what I shoudl have asked about and just that. As the salinity difference really just added to confusion on this. Though at same time it didnt help the fish if it had any tiny chance of reviving.

I'm glad to know now how to best acclimate a stressed fish (this one being a gonner though). And not to take soo long even when the salinity is very different to my tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally you don't really need that long to acclimated the fish. Temperature and salinity need to be match. If salinity about the same they can just go right in once temperature match by floating. If specific gravity (salinity) is low in the LFS like 1.018 (around 25 ppt) and your tank at 1.026 (around 35 ppt), then you should take about 20-30 mins or so only. The longer you do this the more stress to the fish.
Normally LFS keep their salinity low in FO tanks, about 25 ppt. I always keep my tank salinity at 35 ppt so I normally tank 20-30 mins to get the animals in at the most.

Long acclimation periord does not help the animals but stress them more.
TY Orion !

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS do not guarantee salt water fish once they leave the store. At least LFS here in Corpus Christi.
That's true.. And I take responsibility for not asking to see the fish swim nor eat , etc. But he wouldnt stay out of the sand, so I could leave him there and have someone else get him or trust he was ok. I did the latter. But the LFS took it back almost no questions... I did call them as soon as I saw him in the unopened bag upside down. He just happend to be randomly upright when in the bag in the store.

Back