Just got Red Sea Reefer 3xl 900 set up….ugh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stands are IKEA quality and customer service is abhorrent.
Red Sea customer service is attentive but not very helpful. From what Ive read, although the cabinet building, instructions and no video is atrocious, and if had to do it all over again would pass on both Red Sea and waterbox, the stands are a bit better at Red Sea. However many customers complain of bowing in 3-5 years. Red Sea response is that’s because the tank stand got wet….Huh? This is an aquarium with saltwater after all! Anyway my view now is going custom tank and stand is the better way to go…. Might cost a bit more but there are really no short cuts in this hobby and long run very worth it. Still learning after all these years……

PS- to be fair I rarely if ever hear complaints about the Red Sea or Waterbox actual aquariums themselves. Great glass quality and seem too hold up well over many years.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea customer service is attentive but not very helpful. From what Ive read, although the cabinet building, instructions and no video is atrocious, and if had to do it all over again would pass on both Red Sea and waterbox, the stands are a bit better at Red Sea. However many customers complain of bowing in 3-5 years. Red Sea response is that’s because the tank stand got wet….Huh? This is an aquarium with saltwater after all! Anyway my view now is going custom tank and stand is the better way to go…. Might cost a bit more but there are really no short cuts in this hobby and long run very worth it. Still learning after all these years……
Yes, the Red Sea cabinet instructions are lacking - but they're not insurmountable. I can only assume that you're referring to the older (pre-v3) Red Sea tanks that you've no doubt read about that did have some issues with lack of support, etc.

These don't reflect the current v3 tanks, cabinets and sumps - and to their credit, Red Sea has addressed all of these issues. And you should know that I personally know a gent locally who had a pre-v3 Reefer 750XXL where the stand did bow on the left side, the tank did crack and was a total loss. Red Sea replaced his tank with a brand new v3 model well over a year ago and he's had no issues since.

The larger tanks had the glass thickness increased, support inserts on all corners of the tank, a steel plate integrated into the entire front/top of the stand and an aluminum strut brace - among other minor modifications and improvements. The new S-series has further improvements and upgrades as well.

Full disclaimer: I also have a Red Sea 750XXL v3 (6 months and counting) with no issues in the tank, sump or stand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the Red Sea cabinet instructions are lacking - but they're not insurmountable. I can only assume that you're referring to the older (pre-v3) Red Sea tanks that you've no doubt read about that did have some issues with lack of support, etc.

These don't reflect the current v3 tanks, cabinets and sumps - and to their credit, Red Sea has addressed all of these issues. And you should know that I personally know a gent locally who had a pre-v3 Reefer 750XXL where the stand did bow on the left side, the tank did crack and was a total loss. Red Sea replaced his tank with a brand new v3 model well over a year ago and he's had no issues since.

The larger tanks had the glass thickness increased, support inserts on all corners of the tank, a steel plate integrated into the entire front/top of the stand and an aluminum strut brace - among other minor modifications and improvements. The new S-series has further improvements and upgrades as well.

Full disclaimer: I also have a Red Sea 750XXL v3 (6 months and counting) with no issues in the tank, sump or stand.
Nothing more that I would like then to have a long lasting set up. It looks very slick and the tank itself is awesome. Yes there are reinforced side walls in cabinet. All this are good developements. In my view the cabinet instructions are horrible and yes surmountable but not without unneeded frustration and considerably more time then it should take. Lets hope they will address this soon with much better instructions and a video tutorial.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing more that I would like then to have a long lasting set up. It looks very slick and the tank itself is awesome. Yes there are reinforced side walls in canopy. All this is good developements. In my view the cabinet instructions are horrible and yes surmountable but not without unneeded frustration and considerably more time then it should take. Lets hope they will address this soon with much better instructions and a video tutorial.
Here's hoping! In any event, there are a lot of Red Sea owners on R2R - including 3XL 900s.

whikx250

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running out to home depot today to get plumbing to connect pump. The tank is half full of water and I’m seeding some “liferock” dry live rock
(which is actually dead rock) with fritz turbo start 900.
have you done a leak test yet?

whikx250

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 46
Back