Just how concerned should I be about the microbubbles coming from my skimmer?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially bought a coralife skimmer months ago. I used it for about a month and then took it out. I put it back in today and microbubbles are flowing into the tank. Should I be concerned? There’s no other good place to place it because it’s truly intended to sit in the 1st chamber of the 32g biocube. I’ve been doing fine without it but curious if I’d see any benefits from it if I stuck with it longer than last time.

3D2755C1-691F-49EE-8886-BC03D65B0785.jpeg 4FC01FC5-A43F-4610-BC3E-87FF6E4AE0D6.jpeg

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with blaxsun. Skimmer could need to “break in” for a day/week. Id get it turned way down and let bacteria and film collect in it. Bubbles should just go away when its settled into function.
And/or your tank may have surfactants collected in it from not having a skimmer... hairspray particles, dust from house, etc. If you lotion your skin and later scratch yourself, the skin particle dust will have some lotion in it. All that kinda stuff collects on the surface and mixes into the tank over time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you’ll definitely see a benefit over time (skimmers pull out a lot of crap). The microbubbles should improve and diminish over time.
I agree with blaxsun. Skimmer could need to “break in” for a day/week. Id get it turned way down and let bacteria and film collect in it. Bubbles should just go away when its settled into function.
Are either of you aware if it's okay to run the skimmer for certain periods of time? Sort of like abbreviated hours. It's not the quietest skimmer in the world and there aren't many viable options for skimmers when it comes to the biocube. I was wondering if running it during the day and having it turn off in the evening until the next morning is okay OR not? Lol!

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sure. And whenever your pumps are off you’ll potentially want to also have your skimmer off as well. Just keep in-mind that protein skimmers work best when they’re running 24/7, so it won’t be as effective if you have it off for a portion of the time.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine 24/7. The gas exchange benefits are often over looked. Some filter floss in the area of your skimmer may help both reduce noise and bubbles.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sure. And whenever your pumps are off you’ll potentially want to also have your skimmer off as well. Just keep in-mind that protein skimmers work best when they’re running 24/7, so it won’t be as effective if you have it off for a portion of the time.
I run mine 24/7. The gas exchange benefits are often over looked. Some filter floss in the area of your skimmer may help both reduce noise and bubbles.
Well, guess it's staying on. I'm going to research if there's a super quiet protein skimmer that can hang off the side. I have no idea if that exists, but I'm sure google will tell me. Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one tank close to my bedroom.... girlfriend demands skimmer be off for her sleep. So it runs 16 hours during the day. Worst to have it off overnight though. Moving the tank soon as i can, and ordered a variable dc pump also.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one tank close to my bedroom.... girlfriend demands skimmer be off for her sleep. So it runs 16 hours during the day. Worst to have it off overnight though. Moving the tank soon as i can, and ordered a variable dc pump also.
Yeah, my wife would complain if it was near our bedroom. She was very restrictive about where I could put it in the house. The kids and I petitioned for weeks to put it in the living room. We lost, it sits near the kitchen.

Upvote 0

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my wife would complain if it was near our bedroom. She was very restrictive about where I could put it in the house. The kids and I petitioned for weeks to put it in the living room. We lost, it sits near the kitchen.
Very democratic!
Mine is outside our bedroom wall, i cant hear it... but i work with power tools all day. Haha.
Tank is for my bro and nephew, finishing the stand and canopy now. Get it outta the house soon.
Skimmers can be loud, funny thing is my largest skimmer barely whispers, but the smallest one screams

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back