Just lost 2 heads of my Duncan

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have this Duncan for almost 6 months and was happy as can be. It even grew in size. I haven’t noticed any changes until today evening. I have 2 head missing all of the sudden without warning. I mean yesterday had all the 5 heads and today I have one completely missing an one seems like been ripped of and hanging on just about but I don’t have much hope.
I have found about a month ago a 25-30 cm long bristle worm - at least that was my own ID of the beast but I can’t think of anything else capable of ripping a coral head of its skeleton.
the picture that’s been take just before the lights go off so the retraction of the head is normal.
Do you know if a bristle worm of look alike could do this?
There was no changes in lighting or water parameters in the last few days.
I guess that head can not be saved?!

0477283D-EFFF-4639-B93C-A4475C9B1B35.jpeg

skysunlimited

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I have ordered a tunze 3181. Should be with me on Friday. Than chaeto grow can start. I bought it after a long debating with myself as option 1 was phosphate removal medi which tha would require a skimmer or grow algae. Latter was the winner.
We also sold the house today so soon moving to somewhere new. Since upgrading the tank the chaeto reactor seems to be a better investment.
And finally I can say this whole thing seems to be affecting the whole frag. The remaining 3 heads now partially detached to so the whole frag is lost. :)
I collected all heads to a breaking box but found very little reference of anyone could actually save the heads.
@Shirak - the increase Of alk is now 0.2 but the other corals don’t like the change so today they have a day off of alkalinity increase. Probably should go slower
where did you order it from?

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back