Just noticed some corals on the back of live rock from LFS no idea what they are.

Disoriented

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3544.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small ones look like shrooms the big one possible grandi paly

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little shroom looks similar to a Lava Lamp shroom. The other is some sort of paly - could be Grandis but in that light, it looks yellow.
Both are good - nice gets for buying a piece of rock!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any need for concern? and if they are good then should i move them to the front of the display?
No need for concern. I’m thinking they’re all the same thing, mushrooms of some sort (Rhodactis of some sort). You can move them so that you can see them if you want to, but so long as they’re getting light, they’re fine.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do i move them? do they sting or can i just pick them up?
They do not sting. That said Palys can have palytoxins. We don't know for sure which this is, so let's just assume that it does for caution sake. I have not removed any off of a rock without taking a chunk of rock with it. I will defer to reefers that are more in the habit of fragging to instruct on that.
What I will say is for safety reasons, do not touch your face, rub your eyes, etc. Make sure that you thoroughly wash your hands after handling any zoa or paly.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do i move them? do they sting or can i just pick them up?
You’d have to move the rock, IME it’s nearly impossible to get them off the rock without damaging them (you can try to chisel the part of the rock they’re on off if you’re set on keeping the rock in that orientation). Otherwise just leave them, they can move if they’re unhappy, though they’re not nearly as mobile as anemones.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kinda look like green palys
Palys don’t have bumps like these do and their mouths are too big to be Palys.

Edit: also when palys grow new polyps, they don’t separate like these are, they generally stay connected (and if they don’t, they don’t move a couple inches away).

OP
OP
Disoriented

Disoriented

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palys don’t have bumps like these do and their mouths are too big to be Palys.

Edit: also when palys grow new polyps, they don’t separate like these are, they generally stay connected (and if they don’t, they don’t move a couple inches away).
lol so does anyone know exactly what they are or is it a generic species of shrooms?

edit: either way they are pretty cool, with the plus they came for free along this rock

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol so does anyone know exactly what they are or is it a generic species of shrooms?

edit: either way they are pretty cool, with the plus they came for free along this rock
They look to me to be in the genus Rhodactis (though there are a couple discosoma species it could be), it’s nearly impossible to say for sure what species they are without better pictures and more information (like where they were originally collected). There are several species that are really similar, and mushrooms can look fairly different in different conditions, especially over time. The good thing is most mushrooms have similar care requirements and temperments (low to medium light and flow - slightly aggressive).

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different angle and lighting i agree the bigger one is a shroom.

Back