OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM uv in that chamber and if it’s not pushed all the way forward the water can bypass. Your floss holder must take up more room.
I mean even if it’s bypassing the floss should it still be fraying? This is tripping me tf out. My tank was pristine before these stupid pieces of floss showed up.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean even if it’s bypassing the floss should it still be fraying? This is tripping me tf out. My tank was pristine before these stupid pieces of floss showed up.
I dunno man, maybe just get a different brand and that’ll take care of it. Seems like the simplest solution.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno man, maybe just get a different brand and that’ll take care of it. Seems like the simplest solution.
Yeah I’ll try out the InTank branded floss. Seems like it should work well with there own products you’d think. Should I cut it 100% exact fit or just a little bigger ok? Double or single layer? On the InTank website it shows the blue side down and white side up

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ll try out the InTank branded floss. Seems like it should work well with there own products you’d think. Should I cut it 100% exact fit or just a little bigger ok? Double or single layer? On the InTank website it shows the blue side down and white side up
Cutting to fit should work well but if it’s a little big that shouldn’t matter, just squeeze it in. Just don’t cut it smaller. Layers really depend on how much stuff is getting through. If you use two just check the bottom one when you replace the top. If it’s still pretty clean then just leave it.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting to fit should work well but if it’s a little big that shouldn’t matter, just squeeze it in. Just don’t cut it smaller. Layers really depend on how much stuff is getting through. If you use two just check the bottom one when you replace the top. If it’s still pretty clean then just leave it.
I bought the floss from PetSmart so I’m really thinking I probably got old floss that was just falling apart. I’ll order more and see how it goes. Thanks a lot!

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question, could the position of the filter basket cause this? I’d seriously think not right? It’s got to be the floss itself right? Nothing else makes sense

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubtful.
Agreed. It’s just so weird I’ve never heard of floss just falling apart like this. It seems firm enough outside the package and it seems crazy it could get old enough to disintegrate. I’ve trashed the sheets and ordered the InTank bonded filter pad. I’ll pick out everything I see until it comes in tomorrow and if it happens again not sure where to go from there. Seems like it’s my luck to have the weirdest problems ever.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. It’s just so weird I’ve never heard of floss just falling apart like this. It seems firm enough outside the package and it seems crazy it could get old enough to disintegrate. I’ve trashed the sheets and ordered the InTank bonded filter pad. I’ll pick out everything I see until it comes in tomorrow and if it happens again not sure where to go from there. Seems like it’s my luck to have the weirdest problems ever.
I use inTank filter floss. Works well

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use inTank filter floss. Works well
Do you have the InTank filter floss basket as well in a Lagoon 25? For the life of me I’ve never seen this happen. I figured since it’s a InTank floss basket if it don’t work then there’s something else at play here.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the InTank filter floss basket as well in a Lagoon 25? For the life of me I’ve never seen this happen. I figured since it’s a InTank floss basket if it don’t work then there’s something else at play here.
I use the filter floss holder on one side and the media basket on the other

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the filter floss holder on one side and the media basket on the other
Once my media basket from InTank comes in tomorrow I’ll have the same setup. Do you have the MightyJet pump? What’s your flow rate? Can my flow being too high cause something like this? Certainly not right?

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would your next purchase be a protein skimmer or refugium? Which should I get first?

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like MUCH better quality filter floss. Thicker, blue pad looks denser. Just overall way better. I’ll cut some squares up when my media basket comes in tomorrow (hopefully, stupid snow storm)

Attachments

• 9538EB34-5F5F-44EF-9C91-E319FE022B69.jpeg
    9538EB34-5F5F-44EF-9C91-E319FE022B69.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 55

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once my media basket from InTank comes in tomorrow I’ll have the same setup. Do you have the MightyJet pump? What’s your flow rate? Can my flow being too high cause something like this? Certainly not right?
I use the mighty jet pump that came with it and have it set to 15. Not sure what the flow rate equivalent is. It’s been working well for my corals as far as I can tell

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would your next purchase be a protein skimmer or refugium? Which should I get first?
I have the Tunze 9001 DOC skimmer. I was using a refugium in my last tank but it was failing. I’m hoping the protein skimmer is a more stable nutrient extraction

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank choice, i have an IM 30l and it has been a fantastic tank. As far as heaters, i have two 75w jaegers in the back and they fit fine. As far as floss, i use pinkyfilters.com stuff works great and very reasonable. Skimmer, I don’t use one i find water changes are more than enough and i struggle to keep nutrients up.

Good luck with your setup!

Lokipsl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, A skimmer is not a necessity for this size tank, especially at this age as it’s just starting out. Will it hurt the tank to have one, no, but once you are on your way small water changes will be your best bet for any pollutant reduction. With that being said. Take it slow,
and enjoy the beginning stages of life in your reef. It’s an awesome hobby and you can achieve great results by learning the basics. Try not to get caught up in the hype machine with the corals and equipment. You chose a solid tank that can bring you years of enjoyment! Last but not least. Have fun, everything is a learning experience you will get algae, pest, loose corals and fish. It happens to the best of them. Just keep learning

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have replaced the floss and I seem to still be getting whatever this is in my tank. I swear it’s pieces of the floss but I don’t know as nowhere online or any LFS I have called have ever heard of this happening. It’s all long and stringy like this is and isn’t everywhere but it’s on some pieces of rock

Attachments

• 60888380-5F63-4AE6-9C09-6A6BCF4608B8.png
    60888380-5F63-4AE6-9C09-6A6BCF4608B8.png
    814.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 5365BFD9-A868-4483-8886-315355F2C053.jpeg
    5365BFD9-A868-4483-8886-315355F2C053.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No livestock. Tank light off 99% of the day. Turn it on to pick off whatever this is daily. Moved heater just in case. Two layer of InTank filter floss put in yesterday. Ammonia 0ppm nitrites 0.25ppm nitrates 5-10ppm

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back