OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a zoa garden. So far got some “wild” zoas and some purple people eaters. Looking to add some super saiyans and a few others. Really love zoas! Haven’t decided on other corals yet but having a blast adding these beauties

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish won’t stop fighting. I had originally had a good pair but the one fish was acting strangely. Staying at the surface at times and I thought it may of been injured at the LFS and gotten a small case of swim bladder so I took it back to the LFS and got another frostbite clown and now they are non stop fighting. Neither one seems to be any weaker than the other and they fight almost non stop and neither seems to cut chase and run. What can I do? They have been fighting nonstop since Saturday when I got the new clown.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even when I put food in the tank they’d rather fight then eat :(
You got two choices if they are the same size. You either re-home one of them or let em’ fight it out until one either submits or dies. That’s the only way this situation really resolves itself. If you’re going to keep them you should get an acclimation box if you don’t have one already and let them look at each other for a while without being able to harm each other.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I got a little breeder box and put one of the clowns in there. How long do you recommend keeping them separated? Neither one looks to be injured tho they both have a little of a fat lip from the struggle.

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I got a little breeder box and put one of the clowns in there. How long do you recommend keeping them separated? Neither one looks to be injured than one has a little of a fat lip from the struggle.
A few days. It may not help if they are both mature females but it’s a place to start. if you decide to re-home one or the other and try to pair again make sure whatever you add is much smaller than the one you have. Use the acclimation box in that situation as well.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days. It may not help if they are both mature females but it’s a place to start. if you decide to re-home one or the other and try to pair again make sure whatever you add is much smaller than the one you have. Use the acclimation box in that situation as well.
I wouldn’t think they are both mature females yet as they are both still fairly small compared to full grown clownfish but I’m hoping this helps. Sucks too as my other two clowns got along so well. :(

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what I’m gonna go with I decided. The controller looks nice and all the reviews for it are great. Thanks for your help! The length is tiny too which allows for more room for media, skimmer etc
Do you have a link to the heater and controller you bought?

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to the heater and controller you bought?

This heater is absolutely amazing. Completely worth the price.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update since I haven’t posted in my build thread in a while. The separation worked now my clowns are friends again! I have added some eagle eye zoas as well as some rastas. Added 4 New Mexican turbo snails and 2 trochus snails to battle the small outbreak of green hair algae as well as a little bit of red Cyanobacteria. Tank is fully stocked imo of inhabits. I’ve got one royal gramma who only comes out during feeding times, 2 frostbites clowns who are now friends again, a yellow watchman goby and his buddy the tiger pistol shrimp, which have made a home under the eagle eyes. 3 hermits, and the new snails. Everyone seems to get along well enough. Once this clean up crew gets on top of this little bit of algae I plan to start adding a bit of LPS corals. Maybe a frogspawn coral or some torches or something. Picked up some Hanna checkers as well. Have one for alkalinity, ultra low phosphate, high nitrate, and low phosphate. Really impressed with them too. Readings have been quite stable. Tank is coming along quite well so far imo. Thanks to everyone’s advice im well on my way.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first LPS coral. A beautiful green and purple hammer coral with 3 heads. Already starting to extend. Just got it today.

Attachments

• EBCEAF02-24A3-4DFF-9344-6FC1F44383C5.jpeg
    EBCEAF02-24A3-4DFF-9344-6FC1F44383C5.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates a bit high and nitrates a bit low but everything has been quite stable. Really liking my Hanna checkers. I have the ULR phosphate tester, alkalinity checker, high range nitrates and phosphates checker. I use the Red Sea essentials test kit for calcium and Hanna salinity tester for salinity.

05439C45-98BF-45BA-B7AD-8197F9C10C1A.png

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates a bit high and nitrates a bit low but everything has been quite stable. Really liking my Hanna checkers. I have the ULR phosphate tester, alkalinity checker, high range nitrates and phosphates checker. I use the Red Sea essentials test kit for calcium and Hanna salinity tester for salinity.

05439C45-98BF-45BA-B7AD-8197F9C10C1A.png
What app is that? Looks nicer than the one I’m using

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What app is that? Looks nicer than the one I’m using
Pocket Marine for iOS. I really like it. Not only does it have a parameters tracker it also has a decent encyclopedia of marine fish, invertebrates and corals as well as a dosing calendar, inhabitants journal, water change schedule tracker and maintenance scheduler

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9388279E-AAA6-410F-A192-92CE6DFF2903.png

Parameters have been quite stable as well. Need to lower Phosphates some but at least nitrates are higher. Switched from feeding fish once a day to twice a day by suggestion of my LFS

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, I have been running the GFO and the carbon provided by innovative marine that comes with the tank but it’s been a month and it seems it’s exhausted. I ordered some 5.5oz chemipure blue to replace it with. My phosphates are at 0.08. Will adding the chemipure blue have any negative consequences to my tank?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back