Just ordered my Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I haven’t dosed any ammonia ever, hence can’t give definite answers. I would wait until Monday before doing something else. Test your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates daily. I bet you will see nitrites decrease over the next few days.

The products that you have used contain dormant nitrifying bacteria. They take about 2-3 weeks to cycle a tank.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t dosed any ammonia ever, hence can’t give definite answers. I would wait until Monday before doing something else. Test your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates daily. I bet you will see nitrites decrease over the next few days.

The products that you have used contain dormant nitrifying bacteria. They take about 2-3 weeks to cycle a tank.
I added one part ammmonia and some fish food to see if that helps. Hopefully your right. I’m anxious to get started but taking my time to be safe about it.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and since this is the build thread here’s my new addition to filtration. A InTank filter floss holder for the right side of the tank and sure enough like I was asking in my other post the Innovative Marine Helio 100w heater does in fact fit under the filter floss holder allowing me to keep both chambers free for a refugium and protein skimmer

5CEB02BE-DA0E-4968-94F6-B4CA63DA89F1.jpeg

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I had the floss in upside down :( so I replaced it with some new floss but have a bit of floss floating around in the tank I’ll have to pick out.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I had the floss in upside down :( so I replaced it with some new floss but have a bit of floss floating around in the tank I’ll have to pick out.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and since this is the build thread here’s my new addition to filtration. A InTank filter floss holder for the right side of the tank and sure enough like I was asking in my other post the Innovative Marine Helio 100w heater does in fact fit under the filter floss holder allowing me to keep both chambers free for a refugium and protein skimmer

5CEB02BE-DA0E-4968-94F6-B4CA63DA89F1.jpeg
Love those floss holders - I have one on each side, each with a bag full of seachem matrix underneath. Makes changing floss take seconds. I use the bags of loose floss and just kind of squash it down with the bulb side of a turkey baster.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love those floss holders - I have one on each side, each with a bag full of seachem matrix underneath. Makes changing floss take seconds. I use the bags of loose floss and just kind of squash it down with the bulb side of a turkey baster.
I’m loving it as well. Makes a great filter for detritus and allows me to hide my Helio titanium heater under it so I can still use my two compartments for a future skimmer and refugium upgrade. Still cycling my tank. About 17ish days in.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering the InTank media basket to replace the crappy IM custom caddy. It’s kind of weird the IM custom caddy fits so loosely in the tank when compared to the pictures and reviews I’ve read of the InTank media baskets. Will transfer my seachem matrix to the new media basket and probably run Chemipure Blue elite 6.5oz bags in the middle compartment with filter floss on top and the matrix on bottom.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DON'T buy an IM skimmer!!! Skimmer itself is'nt bad and looks very low profile. But the pumps only last a few months. Even IM can't keep them in stock they die so quickly.
Yeah the reviews for it are terrible which really suck but the way it looks and fits so perfectly you would think it’s a must have upgrade but if the pump only lasts a few months it’s not worth it. Probably go with a IceCap K1 Nano or Eshopps for the tank.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and a little update on some new equipment I have ordered. I got a cheap 300watt heater for water changes and a digital thermometer to confirm temps,a Hygger 215gph pump and 10ft of 1/2” ID food safe tubing so I don’t have to heave buckets of water into my tank and a Brute 20 gallon NSF compliant trash can rinsed well with vinegar and hot water. This will be what I’ll use for water changes to make things simple and easy to do and if it’s easy to do I’ll be more likely to keep on top of it. For now I’m using RODI and premixed saltwater obtained from my LFS, it’s less than 15 min from my house and the kids love going there anyway and so do I but eventually will more then likely get a RODI but with the absurdly poor water quality at my condo I seriously doubt it would be worth it from the amount of money I’d spend on filters vs the $1.25 a gallon I pay at my LFS. I’ve settled on my stock list finally and am going with 2x Frostbite Clowns, 1x Yellow Watchman Goby, 1x Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp and 1x Royal Gramma. Will add clean up crew members as necessary/needed.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno - have only run the Nuvoskim and the Tunze 9001, now for a week or so. I was looking at it for awhile, but the dimensions indicated that it wouldn't fit. I know folks like both of your other choices though!

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno - have only run the Nuvoskim and the Tunze 9001, now for a week or so. I was looking at it for awhile, but the dimensions indicated that it wouldn't fit. I know folks like both of your other choices though!
Thanks! I’ll have to check them out. I’m still very new to saltwater and I’m learning more every day just want to make sure I have all the right equipment and knowledge to do this right. Even without any fish yet this has been an amazingly fun hobby so far. I spent 36 hours last week watching reefing YouTube videos last week, I work from home and have a lot of extra time on my hands so a engaging hobby like this has done wonders in giving me more to do.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question seems like the filter floss I bought seems to kind of fall apart and leave strings of pieces of the floss in my tank, attaches to rock work and of course with the rock being so corse makes it hard to remove. I’m using Marineland filter floss. Thinking of switch to InTank floss so this won’t happen. Anyone else had this problem before. Floss has been in tank for like 5 days or less

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question seems like the filter floss I bought seems to kind of fall apart and leave strings of pieces of the floss in my tank, attaches to rock work and of course with the rock being so corse makes it hard to remove. I’m using Marineland filter floss. Thinking of switch to InTank floss so this won’t happen. Anyone else had this problem before. Floss has been in tank for like 5 days or less
I’ve never really noticed anything like that. I think I’m using the Imagitarium floss from Petco at the moment and I’ve also used generic stuff that’s marketed for use in stuffing pillows from the craft store with no issues.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never really noticed anything like that. I think I’m using the Imagitarium floss from Petco at the moment and I’ve also used generic stuff that’s marketed for use in stuffing pillows from the craft store with no issues.
Hmm maybe my flow is too high or I cut it too small. Only using one layer or maybe the Marineland sucks but I can’t find anyone else with this issue online. Maybe I just got a bad batch

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back