Just ranting about fake photos

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think editing has its place. Maybe you’re editing the blue out of a photo to show what your tank really looks like to you:

IMG_6520.jpeg IMG_6520.jpeg
Maybe you bought yourself a fish called a “dragon” wrasse but it doesn’t really look like a dragon:
IMG_3221.jpeg
IMG_6700.jpeg
Turned that regal angel into a peppermint angel lol ;)

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with editing and what not in a sales environment to attract potential buyers. The problem I have is when you edit a photo to such a large degree that the modification is clearly overt to get likes through social media and when you get called out for it by multiple people you outright deny it.
So... there is nothing wrong with creating a fake image, scamming people out of their money (we all know the vendor would say WYSIWYG with the editted pictures), but when someone else does it for likes and lies about it, now THAT'S bad? An overly editted picture like the one you posted is obviously editted and if they want to lie about it, why would that bother you or me? I'd go as far as to say a small edits to fix some lighting and shadow etc. and saying that your tank looks like that isn't even a lie, you merely showcase certain aspects a bit more. The right side of my tank is lit up to some extent by natural sunlight, combined with the lights I run it can create very fake looking images due to the shading, colors and whatnot, but by your standards it would also be lied.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what I meant to say was not fake photos but photos that are so overly edited, like the original pic I posted. The photo was clearly saturated . . . A lot, but the author denied it.
Lol no denying that one

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I guess what I meant to say was not fake photos but photos that are so overly edited, like the original pic I posted. The photo was clearly saturated . . . A lot, but the author denied it.
I do agree especially when shopping fir corals online for people that still don’t understand photo editing they get there coral and wonder why there coral doesn’t look like the one In the photo

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree especially when shopping fir corals online for people that still don’t understand photo editing they get there coral and wonder why there coral doesn’t look like the one In the photo
Even from high end vendors (i.e. not trying to scam anyone), if I see a coral I'm interested in, I always ask for a pic under whites... That's how I run my lights most of the time so I want to know how it will look in my tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... there is nothing wrong with creating a fake image, scamming people out of their money (we all know the vendor would say WYSIWYG with the editted pictures), but when someone else does it for likes and lies about it, now THAT'S bad? An overly editted picture like the one you posted is obviously editted and if they want to lie about it, why would that bother you or me? I'd go as far as to say a small edits to fix some lighting and shadow etc. and saying that your tank looks like that isn't even a lie, you merely showcase certain aspects a bit more. The right side of my tank is lit up to some extent by natural sunlight, combined with the lights I run it can create very fake looking images due to the shading, colors and whatnot, but by your standards it would also be lied.
No idea how you came to these conclusions based on @Frugal Reefer 's post...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost every picture you see now is saturated or fake! If you gotta run blues and put on orange sunglasses to take pictures it says something….. the orange filter in its self will make the colors change in photos and represent something it’s not! Ya know like the old ziploc bags “blue and yellow make green” :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost every picture you see now is saturated or fake! If you gotta run blues and put on orange sunglasses to take pictures it says something….. the orange filter in its self will make the colors change in photos and represent something it’s not! Ya know like the old ziploc bags “blue and yellow make green” :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
To be fair, most of us (or at least me) don't have cameras that can take accurate looking pics without some sort of manipulation; Cameras pick up even the blue our eyes can't see. If I ever sell coral I'm very clear about any photo editing, but sometimes it's a necessity. (Of course, I don't ship and only sell to/trade with local hobbyists)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, most of us (or at least me) don't have cameras that can take accurate looking pics without some sort of manipulation; Cameras pick up even the blue our eyes can't see. If I ever sell coral I'm very clear about any photo editing, but sometimes it's a necessity. (Of course, I don't ship and only sell to/trade with local hobbyists)
My biggest peeve is back in the day we’d clown somebody for posting photoshopped over saturated photos!! I take a break and come back to all blue led photos and it’s accepted now because it’s not photoshopped… hahahahaha like come on! I’ve seen some really high end acros in person and they look nothing like google images or the Sps show off thread here! #bluethumbreefers :zany-face:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1685493782569.png

Anybody else sick and tired of overly edited photos that people post on social media and then when called out vehemently defend that the photo isn't edited like this pic. I don't claim to have an awesome looking reef tank but when you edit your photos like this, post them on social media and then pretend that this is what the tank looks like in real life, I mean, c'mon now. Anyways, rant over.
Photos like this just make me scratch my head. Everyone knows it's manipulated, and doesn't look good in any way. And if the person who posted this photo says it's "not edited" then they set up some weird settings on the camera then took the photo, so the words "edited" may not be accurate, but they know what we mean. I mean who doesn't have a painting that melts into itself so you can't see it on the wall?

This tank probably looks awesome with a simple yellow or orange filter. Why don't people understand that we actually want to see what the tank looks like?

The photo shop and saturating photos has gotten so bad, that I have stopped buying from certain WHOLESALE companies because the coral I get does not in any way look like the picture that was posted as a WYSIWYG. I had to sit on coral for MONTHS until I could find other service clients to take them when the original client said "no" after seeing the coral in person when they were expecting something completely different. Now, I actually use a wholesaler who is more expensive just so I can get accuracy from what I see in pictures to what I actually receive.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be making a photography video on my channel for this weekend. In the case of coral photos, it's all about the white balance, shutter speed, and iso settings. Some post production Photoshop (gasp!) Is required when shooting in RAW format.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's more of not saying the pictures are taken with a lens of some kind. A simple orange filter like the ones from Polyp Lab are great for taking pictures with am iphone. I wish I still had my google pixel, didn't need a filter of any kind on that camera for accurate pictures.

My beef is the pics where the saturation and color are turned way up (like the one OP posted) then people saying "no, that's how it really looks".

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's more of not saying the pictures are taken with a lens of some kind. A simple orange filter like the ones from Polyp Lab are great for taking pictures with am iphone. I wish I still had my google pixel, didn't need a filter of any kind on that camera for accurate pictures.
You'll need to tell me how, because my camera is a Google pixel, lol! I definitely need a filter to get the blue out.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to tell me how, because my camera is a Google pixel, lol! I definitely need a filter to get the blue out.
I don't know, it's been a few years since I had the pixel. It also could have been I was taking pics under MH and T5 lights, and not LED at the time

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual settings help, but a lens will probably still be required. You have to shoot in a "pro" or custom mode, and change the white balance settings. Cameras are made to shoot almost everything else on Earth, because most people take pictures of things in white (3000-5000k) light. They haven't made a camera specifically for the hobby yet that I am aware of.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual settings help, but a lens will probably still be required. You have to shoot in a "pro" or custom mode, and change the white balance settings. Cameras are made to shoot almost everything else on Earth, because most people take pictures of things in white (3000-5000k) light. They haven't made a camera specifically for the hobby yet that I am aware of.
Looks like the 4a camera doesn't have the pro/custom option. Guess that's why I couldn't find it! Lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back