Just received my Fiji Yellow Leather, what should I expect to see now?

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a Fiji yellow leather from Live Aquaria. I would of course expect it to be closed up from shipping, and there is zero color on it. I dripped it (40 mins), dipped it (10 minutes) and placed it in a high light medium flow spot in tank.

What should I expect to see over the next few days to know things are happy? Will color form eventually and it start to flower-pot up?

This is a picture 10 minutes after placing in tank.

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3194.JPG

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten a couple Fiji Yellows from LA. They are more sensitive to acclimation than other Sarcophyton types but hardy once acclimated and grow quickly. As with most Sarcophyton it may remain closed for a few days or up to a week. Avoid temptation to move it or manipulate it, that will only prolong the time the coral remains closed. Moderately high flow and high lighting. Here is one of mine that looked just like yours upon arrival. It will color up and shows the best coloration under intense lighting.

sarcophyton2.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME ... I don't ever drip, dip or acclimatize Leather corals.

Nope me neither. Just acclimate to temp and change out transport water with display water and in it goes. I have never dripped acclimated a coral in my life.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, looking forward to seeing some color and life soon.

I read mixed reviews on the acclimation. I don't normal drip my other corals. But read that someone dripped their's so I didn't see harm in it. As for dipping, I did read these aren't are prone to hitchhikers, but I want to stay on the safe side so did a quick dip.. Hopefully that didn't harm it or prolong the stress it's was already under.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten a couple Fiji Yellows from LA. They are more sensitive to acclimation than other Sarcophyton types but hardy once acclimated and grow quickly. As with most Sarcophyton it may remain closed for a few days or up to a week. Avoid temptation to move it or manipulate it, that will only prolong the time the coral remains closed. Moderately high flow and high lighting. Here is one of mine that looked just like yours upon arrival. It will color up and shows the best coloration under intense lighting.

sarcophyton2.jpg
That is a dang nice looking leather, never been a fan of leathers or kept them before.. any special care requirements on those? I get good lighting and flow but Is carbon really needed to remove toxins and stuff?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a dang nice looking leather, never been a fan of leathers or kept them before.. any special care requirements on those? I get good lighting and flow but Is carbon really needed to remove toxins and stuff?

Thanks. :)

I always run charcoal, and I do routine water changes. In mid to larger mixed reef you probably do not really need to take any precautions, in nano better safe than sorry.

The Fiji does best and shows the best coloration under a par around 200.

Fijis can be really touchy upon initial introduction and I have seen them just rot away. It's really important to just leave them be, no moving, only dip for obvious bacterial infections.

This is a good link.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fiji-yellow-leather-aka-sarcophyton-elegans.264400/

This was a Fiji I had back in 1996, I fragged this coral many many times.

oldtanks.jpg

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
05149903-8A79-4148-92B5-AB7EDD9E0C10.jpeg
And not sure if this is normal leaning over like this? I hope my rock is glued good. Almost looks like a pink toadstool to me in the picture.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyps are too large for a Fiji Leather and the coloration is not right. Contact LA and send them the image, they will make it right.

If it continues to lean increase the flow.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I contacted them, so I'll see how they handle it. Dumb question. But would they expect me to send this back? Or will they make good on it?

Im not opposed to keeping the pink if it's of equal value, but yeah, isnt what I ordered.

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I do not expect them to ask you to send it back, it's their error. About six months ago I ordered Cerith Snails and they sent me Hermits in Cerith Snail shells. It was clearly their mistake because I had the invoice that came with the order. They did not ask me to send back the Hermits.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I contacted them on phone and they are going to review the picture (they couldn't get to email while I was on the phone) and they'll get back to me if it is indeed the wrong coral. I appreciate the help from the experts here for pointing this out to me.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Very Happy with the 1st response I got from LA. I had to wait 24 hours for them to even review my pictures. They are tell me the coral is just stressed and I shoudl wait for it to color up. This was their response:

Dear David,

Thank you for your recent order with Drs. Foster and Smith's LiveAquaria and your picture. We sincerely apologize that the coral you were sent is very stressed due to the shipping process. We would like to give the coral time to fully open and potentially color back up. Your end of warranty is Wednesday, April 25, which can be extended if needed, and we ask that you continue to keep us posted. Thank you for choosing LiveAquaria for your live aquatic needs. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you in the future. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

So, I gave them this updated picture, after 24 hours. If you compare my coral to the
IMG_3206.JPG
corals.jpg
two on their website (brown toadstool on left, yellow fiji on right), pretty obvious which on I got.

FOLLOW UP: I did call them back after writing this, since this case was marked solved, and spoke to a different agent who looked at the photos and promptly cleared it up. He immediately saw it was the wrong coral. SO, a new one will be one its way Monday. .

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back