Just saw my YWG this morning and saw this...

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went over to my tank to take a look at whats going on and I saw my YWG outside of his cave and he had a fairly large white spot in front of his dorsal fin (shown in picture (sorry its bad Ill take another one later on today when the lights go to normal)). I really don't want to loose this guy and hopefully you guys can diagnose him so I can properly treat him. Thank you for all the comments in advance.

Inked7F43A8A1-D6EE-4E70-86B3-795D87973A55_LI.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef !

Yes, we’ll need a clearer picture, taken under white light instead of blue. Also, is the fish eating well and breathing normally? What are your water quality valuesband what other fish is it in with?

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, we’ll need a clearer picture, taken under white light instead of blue. Also, is the fish eating well and breathing normally? What are your water quality bales and what other fish is it in with?

Thanks,
Jay
The fish is completely healthy, eating/breathing normally. I have one green chromis and one ocelaris clown, I do have an anemone who split and one is near by the YWG. Ill get my levels once I get a chance after class.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the start of a bacterial infection as this doesn't seem uncommon in yellow watchmans.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the start of a bacterial infection as this doesn't seem uncommon in yellow watchmans.
Do you think a freshwater dip would kill the bacterial infection early on?

Last edited:

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered lymphocyctis? It typically presents as a large, white lump on a fin. Usually described as "cauliflower like".

If that is what this is, though there's a dozen other causes too, is harmless and feed well, keep clean water, it will eventually go away on its own.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered lymphocyctis? It typically presents as a large, white lump on a fin. Usually described as "cauliflower like".

If that is what this is, though there's a dozen other causes too, is harmless and feed well, keep clean water, it will eventually go away on its own.
The white dot isn't on the fin it's in front of the dorsal fin. I've been having trouble with keeping my nitrates down, but I haven't checked them in a while, anything that I can do to try and keep them down?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, we’ll need a clearer picture, taken under white light instead of blue. Also, is the fish eating well and breathing normally? What are your water quality valuesband what other fish is it in with?

Thanks,
Jay
I got some what of a better picture of him, the white mark isn't there anymore, but I had a incident like that in the past with a royal gramma and later on it died and I don't want for that to happen again with a fish I really care about.

E1B00B94-E667-4337-8F99-50D048452203.jpeg 01F0CE7A-693C-45A0-9754-E7475557021F.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing any treatable symptoms...my basic premise is "Primum non nocere" - Latin for "First, do no harm." All treatments carry some risk to them, and in some cases it is best to just watch the fish to see if a symptom does develop. At this point, the fish may have just had a scrape. There are *some* things like ich, that will show up and then seemingly disappear, only to return with a vengeance, but this isn't ich.

Jay

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing any treatable symptoms...my basic premise is "Primum non nocere" - Latin for "First, do no harm." All treatments carry some risk to them, and in some cases it is best to just watch the fish to see if a symptom does develop. At this point, the fish may have just had a scrape. There are *some* things like ich, that will show up and then seemingly disappear, only to return with a vengeance, but this isn't ich.

Jay
That's good to hear, he's been though a lot (ich wave and a lot of death) and he's been here ever since I've started this hobby (since mid April) and I don't want to loose him just yet.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Sorry it took so long to get my levels:
pH: 8.0
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
Phosphate: 0ppm

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers are fine, I presume the salinity is also?

jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back