Just so crazy with a Pico, Nano tank

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so nuts with small, Nano tanks. I've been checking parameters daily with an API kit.
I bug my LFS every other day wondering if it's ready for a clown and an invert. I provide my API water samples.
He is like, No, not just yet, another week or so. Granted it is a small 8.5 gallon but my ammonia is stuck at .25. I'm hoping my life rock arriving tomorrow will bring it down. I won't put a sacrificial fish in there.
So...my guy covered the tank and said That's It! I'll take it off in a few days. It's really hurting our relationship.
I've really been non stop testing twice a day with an API SW kit and not paying attention to him, except for my dogs. Has anyone else gone through this. I'm wondering if this is a hobby, not for me with such a small, marine tank. I'm beginning to think I'm going off the deep end with this small tank.

If the life rock doesn't work bringing ammonia down, I will give it up and just use the tank as a conversation piece.

August 29 test.jpg tank.jpg 20210829_175333.jpg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as was mentioned in your previous thread on the same subject - API ammonia test is pretty crap and known to be inaccurate. Chances are that it will never read zero ammonia.

I (and others) had suggested getting a Salifert ammonia test which is more trustworthy. Chances are that your tank is cycled and ready for fish, but the API test is just not able to display the accurate results.

From the thread "What do you think of these colors";
FWIW, with the API ammonia kit, it always has a slight green tint to it in saltwater often resulting in people thinking their cycle has stalled at a very low level of ammonia.

Thanks, I will order one today instead of the API kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will buck up on a better kit, the Salifert. My LFS store does use API kits, but he has been around since the stone age so he relies on the sight, I show. It's just so frustrating and I probably should have started with a 20 gallon.

I'm gonna top off that tank now with distilled water as it is going below an inch.

Last edited:

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your nitrate looks pretty high.

I would do a big water change and test nitrite and nitrate again; it looks cycled to me from those tests. If ammonia has spiked and come back down then 0.25 is as good as it will get with API.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Debra,
This hobby will test your patience. I think you should wait lot longer for cycling. I'd also request not to test daily, as it will make you more impulsive. Wait it out, it can take more than a month, if possible. Else start with water change... it wont be super bad that way as well. Many of us started the hobby without proper cycling.
Im on my 4th tank (2 pico and 1 nano in past 6 years), and im cycling for past 1 month, almost. But i think i have learned to let it go, not fight it out and just wait it out. Im seeing some brown bacterial growth after 1 month, and thats pretty exciting for me. a properly cycled tank has significant benefits down the line.
hope this help,
ranjib

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, like stated above Patience is key, along with good test kits. Salifert test kits have been my go to for the last 15+ years.
do what the others above have recommended, and then go from there.
A bottle of bacteria, good test kits, and let the tank do it’s thing, don’t rush, it would be comparable to flushing your money down the toilet.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started with Microbacter 7 and since it's an inert bacteria, we waited ages before adding fish. Highly advise a quick setup quarantine tank, too. You'll avoid a TON of headaches down the road. Read up on Jay Hemdal's quarantine practice in the fish disease forum sticky threads if you really want to be successful! Once the tank starts growing algae, add a few hermits and a snail or two, then after the fish come out of quarantine, your tank should be completely cycled and safe, with an established clean up crew to boot!

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Debra,
This hobby will test your patience. I think you should wait lot longer for cycling. I'd also request not to test daily, as it will make you more impulsive. Wait it out, it can take more than a month, if possible. Else start with water change... it wont be super bad that way as well. Many of us started the hobby without proper cycling.
Im on my 4th tank (2 pico and 1 nano in past 6 years), and im cycling for past 1 month, almost. But i think i have learned to let it go, not fight it out and just wait it out. Im seeing some brown bacterial growth after 1 month, and thats pretty exciting for me. a properly cycled tank has significant benefits down the line.
hope this help,
ranjib
Thanks Ranjib, I believe you are correct. It really is a waiting game. For now my tank is covered, out of sight, out of mind for a few days. I find testing daily will just drive you crazy along with disappointment when you keep seeing the same results. Thanks for your post :)

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Ranjib, I believe you are correct. It really is a waiting game. For now my tank is covered, out of sight, out of mind for a few days. I find testing daily will just drive you crazy along with disappointment when you keep seeing the same results. Thanks for your post :)

But what are you waiting for? The API ammonia test may never drop below 0.25. Waiting for the cycle to finish is one thing; waiting after the cycle is over, for no reason, is another.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly sure .25 on an api is likley a false positive. Either test with a better kit or buy the clown and invert. Bottle bac will ease you mind possibly? How long has tank ran and how did you initiate the ammonia.

But what are you waiting for? The API ammonia test may never drop below 0.25. Waiting for the cycle to finish is one thing; waiting after the cycle is over, for no reason, is another.
It was started up August 5th. I put the Caribsea fiji pink sand in and filled with treated SW on that day. It cycled for two weeks. Then I used Dr. Tims One and Only and dosed 2 caps daily until the 2 oz bottle was empty.

Quite frankly I have heard so many opinions on Mr. Google as to not put any fish in until all parameters are at 0. Everything! Or else your fish will stress and die. That's why I am hesitant to put anything in until everything is perfect. I guess I am just afraid as I have read so much about small tanks and that they will crash in a minute. I only plan on spending 75.00 on a clown and an invert.

I know 75 bucks is nothing to you guys with big tanks though.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, I don't know, find another boyfriend?

In all seriousness, my tank is half the volume of yours and it cycled in about 13-14 days. Even then, I kept the lights off and didn't add a clown until about two weeks later. Initially cycled it with Dr. Tims, but I dosed it every other day with Microbacter 7. Lights didn't go on until way past the 1 month mark. I've had, and continue to have, normal green algae on the glass and sand, but never had an ugly stage. I also have MarinePure Gems and ChemiPure Blue in the caddy which I'm sure helps keep the nutrients in check.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree the ammonia test is probably a false positive, Nitrite levels are still pretty high for a completed cycle.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should listen to your man. Testing twice a day at this point, you are already going down the rabbit hole. This is a hobby where things happen very slowly.

It seems you have no rocks in your tank yet, please wait to put rocks in your tank before getting a fish. Without rocks, there is probably not enough surface area in your tank to grow enough beneficial bacteria to support a bioload, a fish will suffer if you put one in now.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should listen to your man. Testing twice a day at this point, you are already going down the rabbit hole. This is a hobby where things happen very slowly.

It seems you have no rocks in your tank yet, please wait to put rocks in your tank before getting a fish. Without rocks, there is probably not enough surface area in your tank to grow enough beneficial bacteria to support a bioload, a fish will suffer if you put one in now.
I'd say there's more than enough to sustain a clown. She used bottle bac as well as live sand.

I agree with the testing 2x a Day tho. It's pointless now as the tank is cycled.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, I'm just going to leave it alone and no testing for a week. I have a few lbs of Caribsea life rock coming today. I'll see how that goes. Thanks for all the advice, most appreciated.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back